GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

On 1/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, ML Twin said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for companies to reply to an application or how do they reach out to applicants? I just checked today and it says a company has responded to my application but I havent heard any word from them. If anyone has more insight on how they reach out, that would be great. I dont think the GEM website is that good, so Im hoping I was not chosen on accident. 

This has happened to me twice and when I asked GEM they told me to just ignore it aha.. ?

22 minutes ago, horizons said:

Hey everyone! 

An email just went out about a mandatory webinar. Make sure you sign-up! Hopefully we can get more answers/clarification there ?

The "Congratulations on making it to the next round!" shouldn't have been said lol -- I got excited for a bit. Who knows we might be considered :) . Been matched for 3 weeks now 

Hey everyone, I just got the email as well but prior to that had no contact from the GEM Fellowship!  I just found this forum and saw that they have already know for a while that they have been considered for the next round.  Is there anything I'm missing out on?  I would also note that I did not apply for early consideration... could that be a factor as to why I didn't hear anything until now?

48 minutes ago, horizons said:

Hey everyone! 

An email just went out about a mandatory webinar. Make sure you sign-up! Hopefully we can get more answers/clarification there ?

I got an email for the mandatory webinar and am glad I heard something from the GEM Fellowship. However, I'm still unmatched with any employers, so that worries me a bit.

Well folks, I got the email that I'm advancing to the next round (I did an early application).

Unfortunately the only school that's nearby for me with a master's program I'm interested in (that is also GEM affiliated) is not accepting master's students for the fellowship (despite the GEM website saying otherwise). I'm going to withdraw my application in the mean time. I've got a secure job right now, so I'm not going to give that up to move somewhere else for graduate school. I don't know what the economy is going to be like in the next few years because of the pandemic.

Good luck to everyone else; hopefully my withdrawal will let one of you get slotted in for the fellowship (assuming that's how it works).

Edit: I've also been unmatched this entire time, but two far-away schools personally emailed me requesting an interview to be considered for the GEM Fellowship. I've turned them down, as I'm not willing to move out of my city.

Edited by disavowed_
spacing & updates

40 minutes ago, grad_738 said:

Hi! Do any of you guys know if you accept a company offer for an employer this means you have to intern for them every summer you are in graduate school? Or is it just this summer? Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

Hey! it depends. According to the GEM Fellowship website:

"Employer-sponsored PhD Fellows are required to intern with the selecting Employer Member at least one summer prior to the commencement of GEM Funding. Employer-sponsored MS Fellows are expected to intern every summer after their selection until completion of MS degree requirements."
https://www.gemfellowship.org/students/gem-fellowship-program/

So, PhD students may be REQUIRED to work 1 summer, yet Master students will be required to work 2 summers, since most of these companies are basically training you for you to join them after you finish your degree. I'm sure, that also it depends up to the company, if they want to offer you another internship or co-op after the first summer.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, grad_738 said:

Hi! Do any of you guys know if you accept a company offer for an employer this means you have to intern for them every summer you are in graduate school? Or is it just this summer? Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

If you are doing a masters, I know you have to do 2 internships with them. If you want to go to another internship, then you will have cancel your whole GEM fellowship

On 1/8/2021 at 5:54 PM, disavowed_ said:

Well folks, I got the email that I'm advancing to the next round (I did an early application).

Unfortunately the only school that's nearby for me with a master's program I'm interested in (that is also GEM affiliated) is not accepting master's students for the fellowship (despite the GEM website saying otherwise). I'm going to withdraw my application in the mean time. I've got a secure job right now, so I'm not going to give that up to move somewhere else for graduate school. I don't know what the economy is going to be like in the next few years because of the pandemic.

Good luck to everyone else; hopefully my withdrawal will let one of you get slotted in for the fellowship (assuming that's how it works).

Edit: I've also been unmatched this entire time, but two far-away schools personally emailed me requesting an interview to be considered for the GEM Fellowship. I've turned them down, as I'm not willing to move out of my city.

I hope everything works in your favor! I did not get accepted into the 3 schools I applied to last year and had to withdraw my GEM application in April (Unmatched in March, so wasnt a big deal to me) The time off allowed me to save up and this year I was able to apply to 6 schools. I am sure next cycle, if you do decide to reapply, will be more benefitting to you!

9 hours ago, jonnybreaux said:

To the people that attended the GEM Seminar tonight: was it worth it? I'm trying to see if I actually need to pay attention to this or if it's cool for me to have this in the background. Thanks in advance!

The seminar is today Friday, 22nd (7pm EST). I am planning to attend. I would like to get a better insight on how the process is going, how and when we get notified if we get the associated fellowship instead of the full one. I'd say attend if you have questions.

1 hour ago, zevastianp said:

The seminar is today Friday, 22nd (7pm EST). I am planning to attend. I would like to get a better insight on how the process is going, how and when we get notified if we get the associated fellowship instead of the full one. I'd say attend if you have questions.

10 hours ago, jonnybreaux said:

To the people that attended the GEM Seminar tonight: was it worth it? I'm trying to see if I actually need to pay attention to this or if it's cool for me to have this in the background. Thanks in advance!

Just a warning -- if you do not attend, you will be removed from the applicant pool. They were taking note of everyone that attended yesterdays webinar. 

They said that attendance would be recorded after the meeting ended. Cameras were only on for the panelists. It was a good opportunity to ask questions as they were actively answering them, however a lot of the questions were redundant. They mainly covered the different routes in which the fellowship could go for an applicant as of right now and stated that the ever-changing "employer member status" should be ignored as it is strictly for administrative purposes.

For anyone else who is still waiting to hear from an employer there's still time. My GEM portal has been on matched since early December, I just got an email from a lab yesterday for an interview. Keep your head up the game is far from over.

#SecondTimesACharm

22 minutes ago, DarthSalsero said:

Did any of select Arizona State as one of your 3 GEM universities? I have received an application verification from the other two schools that I selected and not ASU, so I am wondering if any of you are experiencing something similar.

Did not apply to ASU but this is happening to me for Virginia Tech. I think some schools are just much slower than others. I applied to VT on Jan 15th and they have not approved me where as NYU approved me before I even submitted my final application. Very weird but I don't think we have to do anything (yet).