GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

3 hours ago, Boriquito said:

So, I was matched and received an offer that I accepted at the beginning of the week after many interviews. As I complete my graduate school applications I realized they asked whether I had an award letter from GEM.  I called GEM and they told me they cannot give me one until a school accepts me.  Seemed a little bit of a circular process here?  Anybody has any advice? Perhaps I missed how the process works? Good luck everyone!

Congrats!!! Oh wow that was quite fast! As DC_ said, I would include in your application, either in your essay or in the supplemental that you already got an offer from a GEM employer. I would also call admissions once you send in your application to make sure they know you already got an offer from an employer, and if accepted to the university, you would most likely get the full GEM fellowship. If you are an incoming PhD student, I assume you would know whom you would start your lab rotations with (so reach out to that professor or PI) and let them know as well, maybe they have an easier way to communicate with the graduate admissions. 

Also, do you mind sharing a bit about your interview process? (questions, what they are looking for, what's the process?)

Does anyone know if it's necessary to contact the GEM representatives for each university to verify my application has been received? I submitted my applications a couple weeks ago but the GEM portal still says "Pending Verification" for all universities. 

11 hours ago, zevastianp said:

Congrats!!! Oh wow that was quite fast! As DC_ said, I would include in your application, either in your essay or in the supplemental that you already got an offer from a GEM employer. I would also call admissions once you send in your application to make sure they know you already got an offer from an employer, and if accepted to the university, you would most likely get the full GEM fellowship. If you are an incoming PhD student, I assume you would know whom you would start your lab rotations with (so reach out to that professor or PI) and let them know as well, maybe they have an easier way to communicate with the graduate admissions. 

Also, do you mind sharing a bit about your interview process? (questions, what they are looking for, what's the process?)

Thanks! I will do that! 
The interviews (national lab) were mostly technical, which was a surprise to me. When I asked by email I was told they would not be, but very quickly the conversations went there. “How would you do this x or y.”  “How would you use z in this circumstance” I had like 5 intervies with different potential supervisors.  Depending on your area and the interviewer, i think what Im saying may not be representative of what you would experience.  Hope this helps

15 hours ago, isagab said:

Does anyone know if it's necessary to contact the GEM representatives for each university to verify my application has been received? I submitted my applications a couple weeks ago but the GEM portal still says "Pending Verification" for all universities. 

On an email I received from gem about 2 weeks ago it specifically stated not to contact the universities regarding GEM. — 

The GEM Office will reach out to each University you listed on your application to confirm that you submitted a COMPLETE application by January 15, 2021 or the department deadline, whichever was earlier STARTING February 1st YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING for this action item, unless the GEM Office is unable to confirm with the GEM Rep at a University if you applied.

8 minutes ago, EEComp said:

I see that people are saying that they can see the employer they have matched too, how can I check? Where is this basic information? I technically have been on matched for over 2 week now, was at held once but went back to matched. 

There used to be an "eye" icon next to your application tab but it comes and goes over time. Right now its gone so no one is able to check their employer. 

7 hours ago, justcheckingsomething said:

Ladies and gentleman, 

I am now "matched." That is all. 

That's awesome, congrats! This shows how the process is very different for each employer. While some companies already had their interviews, others are just starting to review their applications. I am also in a "Matched" status. I hope we start hearing from them soon!

3 hours ago, zevastianp said:

That's awesome, congrats! This shows how the process is very different for each employer. While some companies already had their interviews, others are just starting to review their applications. I am also in a "Matched" status. I hope we start hearing from them soon!

Yep, good luck to you as well! Fully ready for the "Released" status to appear, but I am glad that I have now seen myself matched at least once haha!

So... has anyone ever been released, but also got a notification on the website saying "Congratulations <company>  have responded to your application". 

I'm wondering if they just made a mistake with viewing my application and released it instantly lol... 

;~;

2 hours ago, horizons said:

So... has anyone ever been released, but also got a notification on the website saying "Congratulations <company>  have responded to your application". 

I'm wondering if they just made a mistake with viewing my application and released it instantly lol... 

;~;

I just logged in and saw I got a similar message the "congratulations ...". My status is held but the company hasn't reached out yet. 

Just now, DC_ said:

I just logged in and saw I got a similar message the "congratulations ...". My status is held but the company hasn't reached out yet. 

That's awesome! It's good to hear that companies are still working on the selection process. I am still "Matched" and i have been like that for a while, I thought most companies would resume after the holidays. But, good luck to you!

3 hours ago, horizons said:

;~;

So mine currently says matched, but I saw the message. The thing is, the company responding to the application isn't one I listed in the 3 employers.

Any clarification would be appreciated

Hey everyone,

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone submitted their application without the GRE? I have strong stats in everything else besides that. My status is currently at "Matched" but I'm wondering if not submitting a score for the GRE is hurting me more than it's helping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments!

Just now, jonnybreaux said:

Hey everyone,

This might be a dumb question, but has anyone submitted their application without the GRE? I have strong stats in everything else besides that. My status is currently at "Matched" but I'm wondering if not submitting a score for the GRE is hurting me more than it's helping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments!

I would assume the GRE data is to make sure you take it, so you can get into grad school. Yet, i don't think that's what employers would be looking at. Since, you are matched, GEM already thinks you are a good candidate. I figure your official transcript and GRE scores will be due once you get an offer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it weird that I received a notification saying an employer responded to my application even though I haven’t heard from anyone? I assumed I’d be contacted by employers for interviews before that. I accepted the offer since you only get one, and my status has changed from selected to accepted, but I think it’s strange I’ve not talked to anyone about it? 

Congrats!! Did you receive this notification via email or in the egem portal? I’m still in a “matched” status, and getting a bit worried now ?. Do you mind sharing how was the process when they contacted you to accepting the offer? Thank you! 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:19 AM, arobinson1331 said:

Is it weird that I received a notification saying an employer responded to my application even though I haven’t heard from anyone? I assumed I’d be contacted by employers for interviews before that. I accepted the offer since you only get one, and my status has changed from selected to accepted, but I think it’s strange I’ve not talked to anyone about it? 

I'm noticing companies that aren't in my top 3 "responding" to my application. If my portal says released, does this mean rejection from these companies (not in the top 3)? Does it mean the end of the application process? I'm asking because I got email confirmation that wasn't official back in September from one of the National labs, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

On 1/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, zevastianp said:

Congrats!! Did you receive this notification via email or in the egem portal? I’m still in a “matched” status, and getting a bit worried now ?. Do you mind sharing how was the process when they contacted you to accepting the offer? Thank you! 

I got the notification from the egem portal. As I said in my last post, no one has contacted me. I just happened to look at my portal one day and saw the notification. I clicked on it and had the option to accept or decline, so I accepted because declining meant declining the entire fellowship. I also signed a document. I can't remember what I signed exactly, but it was certifying that I was accepting the sponsorship. 

The faq says to email GEM for help getting in contact with an employer in this situation, so I've done that and am waiting for a response. 

On 1/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, AnalogAF said:

I'm noticing companies that aren't in my top 3 "responding" to my application. If my portal says released, does this mean rejection from these companies (not in the top 3)? Does it mean the end of the application process? I'm asking because I got email confirmation that wasn't official back in September from one of the National labs, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks!

It seems like GEM is letting anyone they think you'd be a match for, look at your profile. They started with my top 3 and now I have no clue who else I'm matched too. Released just means that the company is no longer holding your application. I've gone from held->released and now I'm matched again (been matched for a while now) but I'm not sure which company it is cause I missed the "eye" icon.

GEM has said that we should really just ignore the employer status. I think the only thing its good for is when it says "accepted". Otherwise, its just many people viewing the application over and over. Released definitely does not mean end of process! I've been released and unmatched many times but then I go back to matched. I think its likely that companies are trying to view all applicants first and create a short list for people that they are interested in and depending on how those interviews go, they may reach out to more people later. (This is just my speculation). I don't think anyone will have any real answers to this because of how ambiguous GEM is being. 

Hope this can help in any way. We are all still in it to win it! 

Does anyone know how long it takes for companies to reply to an application or how do they reach out to applicants? I just checked today and it says a company has responded to my application but I havent heard any word from them. If anyone has more insight on how they reach out, that would be great. I dont think the GEM website is that good, so Im hoping I was not chosen on accident. 

Hi everyone!

I'm just passing by with some info, in case that is of use for you. I spoke to a GEM representative, inquiring about the status for the fellowship and any updates. I was told that because of COVID, the process may be delayed a bit more, and they would expect to continue reviewing applications until mid March or so. 

If you have already been accepted to a university, and haven't been reach out by an employer, you can contact the university's GEM representative and ask if the university would be willing to sponsor you through the GEM fellowship. This could also set a path for you to get the associate fellowship in case you don't get selected by any employer.

Also, each employer is different, some of them would require interviews and others will just go with your application and send you an offer. If you have been selected by a company through the GEM portal, and you don't know what company is, then I would recommend to call the GEM office: +1 (703) 562-3646 and ask if they can provide you with more information. As of now, companies are still reviewing applicants. I have remained matched for about 3 weeks already.