GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

Hi Everyone, First time posting/commenting here. 

I was wondering if anyone has received a similar email from a GEM University Representative, 

"As a former GEM fellow, I noticed that you are one of the top applicants in the GEM database. To that, I must say: CONGRATULATIONS!!!" 

I'm trying to figure out if this is just a generic email or if this is actually true? How would a former GEM fellow even have this information?

I am wondering about that as well. None of the information sessions that I have attended mention any sort of ranking system. Maybe it is because I have been "matched", but it seems like a lot of people get matched early so I am not sure. 

Has anything else been matched to Oak Ridge National Laboratory? Have you heard anything from them yet? 

11 minutes ago, horizons said:

I am wondering about that as well. None of the information sessions that I have attended mention any sort of ranking system. Maybe it is because I have been "matched", but it seems like a lot of people get matched early so I am not sure. 

Has anything else been matched to Oak Ridge National Laboratory? Have you heard anything from them yet? 

Haven't heard anything. The three places I applied to were all government labs. I'm prior military with a current (but not active) security clearance, so I was hoping I would get bumped to the top of the list for these labs in addition to having a competitive application.

I'm assuming we won't hear anything until much later. The government is sloooooowwwww to hire; I doubt GEM would be an exception to this.

Edited by disavowed_

1 hour ago, DarthSalsero said:

To all of you who have an employer sponsor match listed already, does it also show a university sponsor as well? 

Not in my case. 

To anyone reading this -- I've been matched for a week, I was unmatched earlier today; though, I got matched again this evening. This goes to show that your status changes.  Also ( a sad truth :( ) being matched does not guarantee anything. Heads up though!

On 11/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, horizons said:

Hi Everyone, First time posting/commenting here. 

I was wondering if anyone has received a similar email from a GEM University Representative, 

"As a former GEM fellow, I noticed that you are one of the top applicants in the GEM database. To that, I must say: CONGRATULATIONS!!!" 

I'm trying to figure out if this is just a generic email or if this is actually true? How would a former GEM fellow even have this information?

I received the same email. Are you applying to an EE program? I feel like it may be generic but maybe they have looked at the applications. 

1 hour ago, DC_ said:

I received the same email. Are you applying to an EE program? I feel like it may be generic but maybe they have looked at the applications. 

Yep EE! That school has been emailing me a lot but unfortunately they do not have the concentration I am going for. At least now I don't feel bad about ignoring the email since its a mass send out. 

4 hours ago, PHY. said:

Not in my case. 

To anyone reading this -- I've been matched for a week, I was unmatched earlier today; though, I got matched again this evening. This goes to show that your status changes.  Also ( a sad truth :( ) being matched does not guarantee anything. Heads up though!

This exact thing happened to me today. I guess this is why they sent out that "Applicant FAQ" email recently telling us to ignore the employer status. I'm going to try my best to just not check the GEM website. I hope any employers will just email me before calling (if I'm lucky enough to get any contact ;~;)

Just now, horizons said:

Yep EE! That school has been emailing me a lot but unfortunately they do not have the concentration I am going for. At least now I don't feel bad about ignoring the email since its a mass send out. 

Which concentration are you going for? My background is AE but I wanted to try EE. I hope that was not a bad idea lol. 

3 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Which concentration are you going for? My background is AE but I wanted to try EE. I hope that was not a bad idea lol. 

I'm applying for power concentrations (power electronics, power systems). AE as in audio engineering or? 

Hey Y'all 2nd time GEM applicant. Applied last year, was anxious and stressed, did not get matched until February, then released in March, and denied from the 2 schools I applied to in May

My opinion, is to not stress at all. GEM was super delayed with everything and I do mean everything from updating the portal, sending emails, starting the webinar on time. I checked my portal every other day last year and it only made my anxiety worse. This year, I submitted my application in October and I only checked my portal 5 times since. Checked the portal today to see I was matched so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

First of all, I wanted to wish best of luck to everyone!

My status changed from "unmatched" to "matched" last night. I also see that my first option is being listed as "employer sponsor" under my basic information, I hope to get an offer soon from them or any other sponsor I selected. Does anyone know if we get multiple offers from different sponsors while in "matched" status? After considering my application (after submission), I would like to get an offer from my second option I selected for a sponsor instead of my first one. Yet, as I mentioned above, under my basic information it seems that my first option for employer has been matched with me.

My background: I am currently a second year PhD student in engineering. 

19 minutes ago, zevastianp said:

Hi everyone!

First of all, I wanted to wish best of luck to everyone!

My status changed from "unmatched" to "matched" last night. I also see that my first option is being listed as "employer sponsor" under my basic information, I hope to get an offer soon from them or any other sponsor I selected. Does anyone know if we get multiple offers from different sponsors while in "matched" status? After considering my application (after submission), I would like to get an offer from my second option I selected for a sponsor instead of my first one. Yet, as I mentioned above, under my basic information it seems that my first option for employer has been matched with me.

My background: I am currently a second year PhD student in engineering. 

To my understanding the process is one employer at a time and you must accept the offer that you get or you turn down the entire fellowship. 

1 hour ago, Spacemankev said:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me understand how matching works. Is it a GEM employee who matches your profile with an employer or is it the employer selecting you as a match? Thanks!

Steps found from previous forums:

Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) {So it seems like GEM makes initial contact which makes sense as to why we provide rankings and location preferences to GEM} 

Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension

Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).

Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

1 minute ago, horizons said:

To my understanding the process is one employer at a time and you must accept the offer that you get or you turn down the entire fellowship. 

Oh that's really helpful, thank you! I guess i just gotta wait for my sponsor to reach out, if I they want an interview. 

10 minutes ago, horizons said:

Steps found from previous forums:

Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) {So it seems like GEM makes initial contact which makes sense as to why we provide rankings and location preferences to GEM} 

Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension

Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).

Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

Thank you! 

I agree with @horizons I've heard/read the same. Has anyone called GEM to ask questions? Was the experience positive? I feel like I might have just called on a bad day.

9 hours ago, Spacemankev said:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me understand how matching works. Is it a GEM employee who matches your profile with an employer or is it the employer selecting you as a match? Thanks!

Just now, DC_ said:

How do you check which company you are matched to?

Once you log in eGEM, in the dashboard you will see one of the sections called: Fellowship applications, in there you find the "2021 Fellowship Cycle" and all the way to the right under "Action" there is an "eye" icon, click on it. Once you click on it, you will see your basic information along with your employer sponsor and your status as "matched". 

Today I realized that my employer sponsor changed, but my status has remained as "matched", my application hasn't been held or released either. I am wondering if companies take turns to "match" with our application and review it this way.

Hi everyone,

Second time GEM applicant. I'm wondering, if matched, how long is the process before "acceptance" if selected? I'm assuming mentioning things in a stament of purpose like, "working at x during the summer before beginning a graduate degree" would be a no-no without a guarantee or acceptance from the sponsor.

Wishing everyone continued success and all the best