GEM Fellowship 2021

disavowed_

On 3/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, TBP715 said:

I figured out how to access the hidden Employer/University status page.

First, you need to know the number associated with your webpages. So once you log-in, go to some page other than the homepage to find this. I clicked on the link under the Grad Schools list that says "Click here to update your record on schools..." and got my numbers from the end of that URL page.

Once you have your web ID numbers (mine is 5 digits), just fill them in at the end of this URL:

https://egem2.gemfellowship.org/#/fellowship/myfellowshipoverview/XXXXX

That should take you to the hidden page. I think you have to already be logged into GEM on a different tab for this to work.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The bold X's at the end are where your numbers go, they aren't included in the URL

Lol did you inspect element and enable the eye icon?

Email just went out letting people know that they did not get the employer sponsorship. I'm just confused because a company that I interviewed with is on "held" with my application and I have not gotten any response from them. 

What a process this has been.

17 minutes ago, horizons said:

Email just went out letting people know that they did not get the employer sponsorship. I'm just confused because a company that I interviewed with is on "held" with my application and I have not gotten any response from them. 

Also got the email. Just confused on the "eligibility" criteria for becoming a(n) Associate/University Fellow including having already received an offer from a university, because wouldn't that mean you can already be an Associate or University Fellow? I haven't received anything from a school, does that mean I'm out, or are schools still making offers?

I also was "held" at one point and contacted by a recruiter, was never contacted again, just "released". Good luck to you!

2 minutes ago, JJT said:

Also got the email. Just confused on the "eligibility" criteria for becoming a(n) Associate/University Fellow including having already received an offer from a university, because wouldn't that mean you can already be an Associate or University Fellow? I haven't received anything from a school, does that mean I'm out, or are schools still making offers?

I also was "held" at one point and contacted by a recruiter, was never contacted again, just "released". Good luck to you!

Regular admission is definitely separate from GEM awards. (Not sure if you meant that you have not been regularly admitted yet) 

NYU accepted me for regular admissions (12k scholarship, not full tuition) and then earlier this week, their representative sent me a GEM offer. They specifically stated that is was a GEM University Fellowship offer so no stipend. 

Northeastern did not contact me directly and I only recently noticed on the portal that they changed the status to "Willing to admit as GEM fellow" but no indication of what that exactly means. 

Then I have some schools who have either ignored my emails or have provided very confusing information. It may be that some of them were waiting for the official notice as to who is getting employers and who is not before awarding additional sponsorships (assuming they prioritize people with companies :/). With that theory, you could definitely still have a chance! 

I was fortunate enough to receive a fully funded offer from another school without GEM (and I'm now contacting them to see if I can get GEM money as well aha...) so I won't lose sleep over this. Just mourning the wasted time on 5+ phone calls. I would absolutely recommend reaching out to GEM representatives at the schools you were admitted to or applied to.  

7 minutes ago, horizons said:

Regular admission is definitely separate from GEM awards. (Not sure if you meant that you have not been regularly admitted yet) 

NYU accepted me for regular admissions (12k scholarship, not full tuition) and then earlier this week, their representative sent me a GEM offer. They specifically stated that is was a GEM University Fellowship offer so no stipend. 

Northeastern did not contact me directly and I only recently noticed on the portal that they changed the status to "Willing to admit as GEM fellow" but no indication of what that exactly means. 

Then I have some schools who have either ignored my emails or have provided very confusing information. It may be that some of them were waiting for the official notice as to who is getting employers and who is not before awarding additional sponsorships (assuming they prioritize people with companies :/). With that theory, you could definitely still have a chance! 

I was fortunate enough to receive a fully funded offer from another school without GEM (and I'm now contacting them to see if I can get GEM money as well aha...) so I won't lose sleep over this. Just mourning the wasted time on 5+ phone calls. I would absolutely recommend reaching out to GEM representatives at the schools you were admitted to or applied to.  

Should've clarified haha I've been accepted to two schools (NYU w/scholarship, USC w/interview for scholarship) but nothing so far (email nor GEM portal) regarding GEM specifically ? NYU only told me they'd make decisions in March, and last weekend the USC GEM rep told me they'd make "first wave offers" (not sure if only Full, University, or both) that coming week (which is now last week :/) and I haven't received anything. At this point not sure whether reaching out again would come off as pushy/annoying or if there's even any more info I could receive other than "just wait" (at this point potentially just waiting for a rejection). And the GEM email said to not contact the GEM university reps unless we had a written offer already, which I do not so idk :/

1 minute ago, JJT said:

Should've clarified haha I've been accepted to two schools (NYU w/scholarship, USC w/interview for scholarship) but nothing so far (email nor GEM portal) regarding GEM specifically ? NYU only told me they'd make decisions in March, and last weekend the USC GEM rep told me they'd make "first wave offers" (not sure if only Full, University, or both) that coming week (which is now last week :/) and I haven't received anything. At this point not sure whether reaching out again would come off as pushy/annoying or if there's even any more info I could receive other than "just wait" (at this point potentially just waiting for a rejection). And the GEM email said to not contact the GEM university reps unless we had a written offer already, which I do not so idk ?

I probably wouldn't reach out again then until maybe later in March but I'm not sure. NYU gave me a deadline of March 18th to accept or decline the GEM offer so as students accept or decline, they may extend more offers. I'm 85% sure that I'll be declining so hopefully my offer will go to students like you! 

4 hours ago, JJT said:

Should've clarified haha I've been accepted to two schools (NYU w/scholarship, USC w/interview for scholarship) but nothing so far (email nor GEM portal) regarding GEM specifically ? NYU only told me they'd make decisions in March, and last weekend the USC GEM rep told me they'd make "first wave offers" (not sure if only Full, University, or both) that coming week (which is now last week :/) and I haven't received anything. At this point not sure whether reaching out again would come off as pushy/annoying or if there's even any more info I could receive other than "just wait" (at this point potentially just waiting for a rejection). And the GEM email said to not contact the GEM university reps unless we had a written offer already, which I do not so idk ?

How were you able to get in contact with the GEM Rep at USC? I've tried emailing 3 times and calling once and still no repsonse

8 minutes ago, dara_jay said:

How were you able to get in contact with the GEM Rep at USC? I've tried emailing 3 times and calling once and still no repsonse

Where'd you find a number to call? I first emailed when I got accepted and didn't get a reply until literally a month later hahahaha I think they're just super busy. I want to do a Masters. Have you heard anything from them via email or GEM portal?

Just now, JJT said:

Where'd you find a number to call? I first emailed when I got accepted and didn't get a reply until literally a month later hahahaha I think they're just super busy. I want to do a Masters. Have you heard anything from them via email or GEM portal?

It's the contact info on the GEM website, if you go to university members and click on the school name, there's a phone number instead of an email address.

I sent my first email since January and still have heard nothing. Would you mind sending the email info you have? I haven't heard anything schoolwise on the GEM portal

20 hours ago, horizons said:

That emailed was automated and was mistakenly sent out to some people who will be sponsored as well. I am currently on held too, although I've already signed an employer offer letter. They just haven't updated GEM. I called GEM after receiving the email and this is what they told me.

Edited by DarthSalsero

Has anyone received employment offers this late in the process? I know that email by GEM was sent about the Full GEM Fellowship eligibility, but my application shows that another sponsor is looking at my application so I'm curious about that. 

1 hour ago, isagab said:

Has anyone received employment offers this late in the process? I know that email by GEM was sent about the Full GEM Fellowship eligibility, but my application shows that another sponsor is looking at my application so I'm curious about that. 

I have not. This goes to anyone who reads this, I received a sponsorship from a university -- I am an official GEM Associate Fellow. They sent an email saying that our chances of becoming a Full GEM Fellow are done. My GEM portal still saids Im "matched" with a sponsor, Im definitely going to be reaching out asking if they would be willing to sponsor me since I already have a Uni Sponsor. 

If you are in the same boat as me, I would suggest you do the same. 

22 minutes ago, PHY. said:

I have not. This goes to anyone who reads this, I received a sponsorship from a university -- I am an official GEM Associate Fellow. They sent an email saying that our chances of becoming a Full GEM Fellow are done. My GEM portal still saids Im "matched" with a sponsor, Im definitely going to be reaching out asking if they would be willing to sponsor me since I already have a Uni Sponsor. 

If you are in the same boat as me, I would suggest you do the same. 

Actually, today I spoke to a GEM representative. He told me that our profile will remain open and our chances to get a full fellowship still possible. GEM had to let applicants know by now if currently they had chances to get employer sponsorship or not, so they could take on other fellowships they may had received. However, there are still companies looking, others may have a student that changes their mind, then the company reviews again the pool application. Also, I was told that if a student accepts the associate fellowship, and by the time a company decides to sponsor them, then GEM will just change the status to full-fellow. Nonetheless, we should assume we are not getting sponsorship for now. 

1 hour ago, zevastianp said:

Actually, today I spoke to a GEM representative. He told me that our profile will remain open and our chances to get a full fellowship still possible. GEM had to let applicants know by now if currently they had chances to get employer sponsorship or not, so they could take on other fellowships they may had received. However, there are still companies looking, others may have a student that changes their mind, then the company reviews again the pool application. Also, I was told that if a student accepts the associate fellowship, and by the time a company decides to sponsor them, then GEM will just change the status to full-fellow. Nonetheless, we should assume we are not getting sponsorship for now. 

This might be a dumb question, but is it still possible to get sponsored as an Associate or University Fellow if we haven't received anything thus far? Seems like chances of being sponsored as a Full Fellow are pretty slim now, but could universities still reach out for the other two levels even if they haven't already? I still don't have anything changed in my statuses under "Offers" in the GEM portal. And now we're discouraged from reaching out to the university GEM reps if we don't already have an offer. If there's not a possibility I would rather not get my hopes up : / 

1 minute ago, JJT said:

This might be a dumb question, but is it still possible to get sponsored as an Associate or University Fellow if we haven't received anything thus far? Seems like chances of being sponsored as a Full Fellow are pretty slim now, but could universities still reach out for the other two levels even if they haven't already? I still don't have anything changed in my statuses under "Offers" in the GEM portal. And now we're discouraged from reaching out to the university GEM reps if we don't already have an offer. If there's not a possibility I would rather not get my hopes up : / 

I contacted the GEM representative at my university (I was already enrolled), she reached out to the school of graduate studies and said they would sponsor me. I would advise you reach out to the GEM representative or admissions to the universities you were accepted to. Maybe google "GEM representative X university" and contact them instead of using the GEM portal. I'm sure they would work some offers that way.

9 minutes ago, zevastianp said:

I contacted the GEM representative at my university (I was already enrolled), she reached out to the school of graduate studies and said they would sponsor me. I would advise you reach out to the GEM representative or admissions to the universities you were accepted to. Maybe google "GEM representative X university" and contact them instead of using the GEM portal. I'm sure they would work some offers that way.

Thanks! One school rep said first-wave offers would come out last week but I didn't as much else because I didn't want to seem annoying haha. Not sure if contacting the program/department would help. But I'll see if I can reach out to the other schools!

11 hours ago, BabyBasil said:

Does anyone's employer sponsor keep changing? I'm still listed as "matched" but over the past 2 days, I've been matched with 5 different companies????

That happened to me too but with 2 different employers. Not sure what that means though.

3 hours ago, e9zOX8P4 said:

Anyone heard from USC lately? 

I actually contacted them about the intent to enroll waiver, the rep told me that we all had to sign in it to allow more time for us to be considered for GEM. A person has to pay $500 to continue, sheesh, but I digress. He said that they have not made official decisions yet, but too look out for an email from either USC or check the GEM portal over the next few weeks. So tbh, I dont think we will be hearing soon, since there was someone else who said the same thing in this forum like 2 weeks ago. 

On 3/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, ML Twin said:

I actually contacted them about the intent to enroll waiver, the rep told me that we all had to sign in it to allow more time for us to be considered for GEM. A person has to pay $500 to continue, sheesh, but I digress. He said that they have not made official decisions yet, but too look out for an email from either USC or check the GEM portal over the next few weeks. So tbh, I dont think we will be hearing soon, since there was someone else who said the same thing in this forum like 2 weeks ago. 

Oh, wow. Thanks! Hopefully something by April 1. 

Hey all,

I had an interview with a GEM Sponsor recently and while they mentioned that they got my information from GEM, it seemed like they were mostly trying to interview me for their internship program. For folks that got interviews, did you all feel the same way? Or was your interview more centered around GEM stuff? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

5 hours ago, jonnybreaux said:

Hey all,

I had an interview with a GEM Sponsor recently and while they mentioned that they got my information from GEM, it seemed like they were mostly trying to interview me for their internship program. For folks that got interviews, did you all feel the same way? Or was your interview more centered around GEM stuff? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

From my experience is that the interviews were more geared towards the internship. I did prepare in the case they asked me more about GEM, but they only mentioned that they got my info from GEM, so Im in the same boat as you. It makes sense, you are still interviewing to be apart of their team and they would want to bring someone who they believe meshes well with their projects and group overall. The way I look at it now, GEM was just a pipeline for internship opportunities.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:20 PM, ML Twin said:

Not sure which rep you spoke with, or if it's the same across the board, but the person I talked to said that we would not need to pay that deposit.