HGSE 2021

1 hour ago, Alse14262331 said:

I’m also hoping that we hear decisions this Friday. However, a coworker of mine is on a committee that awards a scholarship for the master’s program (they’re not in admissions and don’t work at Harvard) and they mentioned to me that things were running a bit behind schedule this year. I didn’t push for more info, but I’m trying to be emotionally prepared for the possibility that this year may be a little bit later than typical. I really hope that’s not the case, though - waiting through January and February was hard enough!

I emailed HGSE admissions this morning, and according to them, "Applications are currently under review and we will send out admissions notifications by the end of March to all applicants." 

Hi guys! I’m a new grad cafe lurker/ hopeful ELOE (GICE) applicant from Australia, feeling super nervous about Friday’s release and have been finding comfort in this page-  so thought I would share my stats here to pay it forward: 

Previous studies: undergrad international studies/ law from 2nd ranked university in Australia/ global top 40; and Masters of Teaching from 2nd tier university  

GPA: not sure, couldn’t convert it over but have a Distinction average here in Aus 

GRE: 169V, 153Q, 6.0 AWA

Work experience:  1 year working for Teach for Australia, 2 years as Teach for Australia corps member working at an urban school, 1 year continuing on at TFA school as student leadership coordinator, 2 years working at education nonprofit 

Extra-curricular: student government president at undergrad university, board director of UN Youth Australia, founder of a small nonprofit that connects disadvantaged urban students with professional work experience placements, ambassador for Australian education charity 

LORs: Teach for Australia mentor/ M.Teach professor; founder and global CEO of education nonprofit; Australian CEO of education nonprofit (direct boss) 

Ahh so nervous! Fingers crossed for us all!!

1 hour ago, wendynovak said:

Hi everyone, I am wondering anyone who apply for Human Development and Education (HDE)?

38 minutes ago, HTG7728 said:

here :) a bit worried though because i dont have a psychology background

Right here! I'm also an HDE applicant. Love seeing a few other HDE applicants here in GradCafe! ? 

Edited by mjsmith
Typo

Hi everyone, another ELOE applicant here. I've been lurking in this thread for a while LOL
Since this is the only program I applied for this year, it's literally an "all or nothing" situation to me. 
I've been super anxious since last week...

Here are some thoughts that may be helpful to relieve our anxiety a bit:
We are being anxious because we did put a lot of efforts into the application. There are always a percentage of people who make only perfunctory efforts and hope to get lucky (especially GRE is not required this year). They probably don't care about the outcome as much as we do. At least, we've already surpassed them.
In addition, most of those who shared their stats on this forum (including this thread and threads of previous years) are applicants who hold a certain degree of confidence in their backgrounds, otherwise they would not be willing to share in public. Therefore, we have a feeling that all applicants are competitive as the applicants who shared their backgrounds are mostly at an above-average level.  

8 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

Yeah of course, I’m happy to share! 

School: San Francisco State University

3.9 GPA, International Relations major and History minor. 

I transferred to SFSU from a community college in California so my stats are only what I did while at my main university.   

While at SFSU, I chaired the Academic Committee for the International Education Exchange Council, was a Presidents Leadership Fellow, and was a part of Sigma Iota Rho and the International Relations journal. My undergraduate thesis paper was 45 pages long and talked about how the US history education system is a form of propaganda and needs deep reform to resolve the cultural conflicts in the US. I submitted a piece of it for my writing sample. 

I worked on campus in the student government office and tutored multiple subjects, as well. I had an internship with the World Trade Organization, a research start up based out of London, volunteered at an art education non-profit, and am currently serving an Americorps position. 

I didn’t submit a GRE score to any schools. The timing was lucky for me and I didn’t ever have to take it.  

My LOR’s came from 2 professors (one IR and one History) and another professor who was also the supervisor for my student government job. 

I feel like my personal statement is fairly strong! Not 100% sure though ? I second guessed it a million times. Outside of school, I have a book published on Amazon and am an avid writer, I also have an blog where I write fiction stories!

Wow this post is long!!! Sorry about that ? what about you?? 

Your gpa is terrific so I assume the worst grade (math) you meant was also like a B or B+ something like that (this is better than mine). My stats were actually posted on page 2 or 3 of this thread. Basic stats: freshman year 3.412, sophomore year: 2.839 (idk what was I doing), last two years transferred to a top 30 private university and gpa was 3.65 (junior year 3.8, senior year 3.5). Now a master’s at an ivy (took three classes last semester and gpa 3.5). For internships, I have taken two internships at top-tier consulting firms, one technology internship, and one finance internship. LOR: all from my professors. There’s one graduated Harvard MBA. I also think my sop was great but I believe there are many people who can write good sops....

8 hours ago, CaitlynM said:

Yeah of course, I’m happy to share! 

School: San Francisco State University

3.9 GPA, International Relations major and History minor. 

I transferred to SFSU from a community college in California so my stats are only what I did while at my main university.   

While at SFSU, I chaired the Academic Committee for the International Education Exchange Council, was a Presidents Leadership Fellow, and was a part of Sigma Iota Rho and the International Relations journal. My undergraduate thesis paper was 45 pages long and talked about how the US history education system is a form of propaganda and needs deep reform to resolve the cultural conflicts in the US. I submitted a piece of it for my writing sample. 

I worked on campus in the student government office and tutored multiple subjects, as well. I had an internship with the World Trade Organization, a research start up based out of London, volunteered at an art education non-profit, and am currently serving an Americorps position. 

I didn’t submit a GRE score to any schools. The timing was lucky for me and I didn’t ever have to take it.  

My LOR’s came from 2 professors (one IR and one History) and another professor who was also the supervisor for my student government job. 

I feel like my personal statement is fairly strong! Not 100% sure though ? I second guessed it a million times. Outside of school, I have a book published on Amazon and am an avid writer, I also have an blog where I write fiction stories!

Wow this post is long!!! Sorry about that ? what about you?? 

Also, wait, what do you mean by writing sample? HGSE doesn’t have a requirement for writing sample... did you submit it as additional file???

51 minutes ago, CoraKoala said:

Hi everyone, another ELOE applicant here. I've been lurking in this thread for a while LOL
Since this is the only program I applied for this year, it's literally an "all or nothing" situation to me. 

We are being anxious because we did put a lot of efforts into the application. There are always a percentage of people who make only perfunctory efforts and hope to get lucky (especially GRE is not required this year). They probably don't care about the outcome as much as we do. At least, we've already surpassed them.
In addition, most of those who shared their stats on this forum (including this thread and threads of previous years) are applicants who hold a certain degree of confidence in their backgrounds, otherwise they would not be willing to share in public. Therefore, we have a feeling that all applicants are competitive as the applicants who shared their backgrounds are mostly at an above-average level.  

ELOE applicant here too, this is also the only university which I applied. 

48 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Also, wait, what do you mean by writing sample? HGSE doesn’t have a requirement for writing sample... did you submit it as additional file???

Sorry I misspoke! I meant that I talked about it in my personal statement and I know one of my professors for my LOR talked about it too! 

I got a C in stats, but that was during community college! My cumulative GPA with CC is a 3.79! 

1 hour ago, CoraKoala said:

I think for all those who applied to HGSE, we all have some sort of confidence already in the work that we do and are people who strives to achieve more. I have some degree of confidence as well but definitely still very very doubtful. Getting accepted to Harvard seems like such a vague and over-reaching idea to me, but it's worth a try. I think everyone who are already on this thread engaging in conversations are, to some degree, above average because we care so much that we want to engage with others potentially gonna be in the cohort and figure out our chances of being admitted even after submission. Therefore, like you said, because we cared so much, we probably put more effort into the application, which hopefully will convince the admissions. I know I will probably be very disappointed if I am rejected but I just have to remind myself that at the end of the day, it's just an application, which does not have the ability to showcase everything that I do for the admissions to get to know me. I am also very anxious, especially this week, but I kept on telling myself that even if I am rejected, the work that I do and what I want to do in the future is still meaningful and valid.

Hope this can relieve some anxiety for everyone. We should already be very proud of ourselves to have taken the step to pursue to achieve more. 

3 minutes ago, CaitlynM said:

Sorry I misspoke! I meant that I talked about it in my personal statement and I know one of my professors for my LOR talked about it too! 

I got a C in stats, but that was during community college! My cumulative GPA with CC is a 3.79! 

Ohh that’s what I received haha that’s why my sophomore year’s gpa was so low and I honestly didn’t know what was I doing at that time during the entire academic year. I hope the last two year’s gpa would compensate that... I also forgot to mention that I also took a course at a cc and received 4.0/4.0 on it. If calculate the entire 4 years of undergrad + current master’s program, the cumulative gpa is 3.4-3.5 ish... but I really hope the last two years of undergrad could weigh more...

10 minutes ago, xyzxyz123 said:

Ohh that’s what I received haha that’s why my sophomore year’s gpa was so low and I honestly didn’t know what was I doing at that time during the entire academic year. I hope the last two year’s gpa would compensate that... I also forgot to mention that I also took a course at a cc and received 4.0/4.0 on it. If calculate the entire 4 years of undergrad + current master’s program, the cumulative gpa is 3.4-3.5 ish... but I really hope the last two years of undergrad could weigh more...

I think that they will! Honestly the whole admissions process is half luck. I’ll be super excited to see who gets in this year! Everyone is super amazing ? 

3 minutes ago, CaitlynM said:

I think that they will! Honestly the whole admissions process is half luck. I’ll be super excited to see who gets in this year! Everyone is super amazing ? 

I am glad that I didn’t apply to ELOE????this thread seems like full of ELOE applicants?

7 minutes ago, LJ13 said:

Its more about what specific area you desire to achieve.

I was interested in both of these two programs. However, my friends at HGSE said that the ELOE is more like a combination of the School Leadership Program and the Education Policy Management Program as they showed me the chart of how the newly designed programs were structured based on the original programs. So that’s why I didn’t choose to apply as they and myself believed this program may need more leadership and education-related experiences.

Edited by xyzxyz123

Hello everyone! 
What a diverse group of people! Felt quite relieved seeing how y’all are also panicking haha. I’ve applied for the EPA program and was quite surprised to see that not too many peeps have opted for it (at least who’re here). 

I wanted to know if everyone’s application still displayed “submitted” and not “under consideration”. Will be quite bummed if it’s the latter :/ 

10 hours ago, jeremyzhao said:

I emailed HGSE admissions this morning, and according to them, "Applications are currently under review and we will send out admissions notifications by the end of March to all applicants." 

I’ve tried to decipher this message so many times. When they say “by the end of March”, i think it could also mean that we’d be informed earlier than that and certainly by the end each of the applicants would’ve heard back from them. 

I know I’m nitpicking but aaah so anxious just waiting for the results. I submitted my application all the way back in November. Someone earlier said that feb was the slowest month but frankly this first week of March just seems to go on forever!! 

38 minutes ago, chaiandsushi said:

Hello everyone! 
What a diverse group of people! Felt quite relieved seeing how y’all are also panicking haha. I’ve applied for the EPA program and was quite surprised to see that not too many peeps have opted for it (at least who’re here). 

I wanted to know if everyone’s application still displayed “submitted” and not “under consideration”. Will be quite bummed if it’s the latter ?

Fellow EPA applicant here. Do you mind sharing your basic stats? GPA, GRE if submitted, schools went to for undergrad, etc. thanks!

This is the email I received from the admissions just now. So it seems like they are targeting a mid-march notification date as opposed to the first week of March :(

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate your question and can understand your eagerness to know when you can expect a decision. Please know that we are working as quickly as we can to complete our evaluation process and communicate decisions, with a focus on making sure our process provides us with the time necessary to make sure each file is carefully and fully considered. Our plan is to notify all applicants by the end of March at the latest, and by mid-March if possible. "

1 hour ago, hales1013 said:

This is the email I received from the admissions just now. So it seems like they are targeting a mid-march notification date as opposed to the first week of March :(

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate your question and can understand your eagerness to know when you can expect a decision. Please know that we are working as quickly as we can to complete our evaluation process and communicate decisions, with a focus on making sure our process provides us with the time necessary to make sure each file is carefully and fully considered. Our plan is to notify all applicants by the end of March at the latest, and by mid-March if possible. "

Nooooooo :( Thank you for sharing the info...I won't be expecting to hear back this Friday now. 

1 hour ago, hmj598 said:

Nooooooo :( Thank you for sharing the info...I won't be expecting to hear back this Friday now. 

It could still be this Friday if they are following what they have been doing historically. Do you happen to know usually at what time do they release the results? I think my anxiety would probably cause me to refresh my email once every ten minutes lol

10 minutes ago, hales1013 said:

It could still be this Friday if they are following what they have been doing historically. Do you happen to know usually at what time do they release the results? I think my anxiety would probably cause me to refresh my email once every ten minutes lol

It's usually after 4:00 PM...this summer it was around 4:45 if I remember correctly.

I think I will just chill and not check at all till Saturday morning. The tension is actually getting too much. That way, if it was sent out on Friday, I will see it, and if not, I will continue living.