2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, cosmictones said:

Totally, if I had the money to go to NYU or Columbia I would have applied. Plenty of really talented people go there and the faculty seem great. The post I responded to just asked if fully funded programs were harder to get into. 

oh yah, not critiquing your response in any way, just adding my own 2 cents. I secretly lust for both of those programs lol, so I have to spend a lot of time reminding myself why it would be an awful idea

44 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

That said, I have heard what happens at Columbia specifically is that there are like 3-4 out of an incoming cohort of ~70 that the famous faculty decide they want to work with beforehand, and that these 3-4 people get some funding and a little bit of preferential treatment. I imagine these are usually the people who publish the novels with major presses, since they are the pets of Ben Marcus, Richard Ford and co

I've heard similar things about nyu. One of my recommenders went there and said that profs definitely played favorites. Also that the famous faculty members aren't very available. He barely got to meet with his thesis advisor.

12 minutes ago, pattycat said:

I've heard similar things about nyu. One of my recommenders went there and said that profs definitely played favorites. Also that the famous faculty members aren't very available. He barely got to meet with his thesis advisor.

yeah, seems to be true sadly. 

one of my friends (an excellent writer and very kind person whose family is also rich - ha) went to Columbia for the MFA, and when he first told me he went to Columbia I was like, oh, cool! did you get to work with Ben Marcus? and he was like: no lol

a counterpoint to that which is just gossip is that he also said Paul Beatty was really nice and accessible, even though he didn't need to be, which warms my heart a bit because his work is so good. never meet your heroes, kids. unless your hero is Paul Beatty

Edited by Starbuck420

12 hours ago, Gebler said:

Is Ohio State a big school or it is just first? How come I never heard about it? 

It's got a great faculty, and it's fully-funded. I had a friend who got her MFA in fiction over there, and she loved it. 

2 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

It's got a great faculty, and it's fully-funded. I had a friend who got her MFA in fiction over there, and she loved it. 

Their English PhD program is also the first of the top 30 or so to notify (traditionally) so the early notifications might have something to do with the way funding is approved, or some sort of super secret grad school policy that we know nothing about

1 hour ago, Starbuck420 said:

That said, I have heard what happens at Columbia specifically is that there are like 3-4 out of an incoming cohort of ~70 that the famous faculty decide they want to work with beforehand, and that these 3-4 people get some funding and a little bit of preferential treatment. I imagine these are usually the people who publish the novels with major presses, since they are the pets of Ben Marcus, Richard Ford and co

How much money are we talking about? I read normal full funding means you get free tuition, health insurance  and from $18K to $30K taxable cash. And you usually have to teach as work. 

What do these specially chosen Columbia people get? How much is tuition at Columbia and NYU? I've seen a lot of posts that say there was great funding, but without giving numbers they don't really tell you anything. 

2 minutes ago, Gebler said:

What do these specially chosen Columbia people get?

I have heard that the "specially chosen" Columbia people get a tuition waiver of about half (maybe a bit more). That's it, afaik. And then no one else really gets anything. Not sure what tuition is off the top of my head -- here The Google can help -- but it's very pricey. my friend read for the Columbia Journal when he was there, but I'm not sure if that was paid or how much. In NYC, you're better off working a job outside the university than some part time gig within the dept., I imagine. 

2 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Anyone here responsible for the new poetry acceptance or waitlist at Ohio? 

I think the waitlist is the girl from yesterday in draft who said she was first on the list. I'm not sure about the other acceptance though.

3 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

I think the waitlist is the girl from yesterday in draft who said she was first on the list. I'm not sure about the other acceptance though.

I saw both of them on draft. The first girl who got accepted on Draft didn't even get a call first; they just changed her status. After several stressful hours she was able to confirm that she was in. That was a fun post to follow haha.

4 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

I saw both of them on draft. The first girl who got accepted on Draft didn't even get a call first; they just changed her status. After several stressful hours she was able to confirm that she was in. That was a fun post to follow haha.

Haha Yea, I was on the edge of my seat. This is why I don't like draft, but I'm also addicted to it...I can't stop checking for new posts. 

11 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Haha Yea, I was on the edge of my seat. This is why I don't like draft, but I'm also addicted to it...I can't stop checking for new posts. 

I'm new to it, and I think I still like this site a little more for conversation purposes. But of course I don't want to miss any acceptances, so I check Draft fairly often too.

1 hour ago, Gebler said:

What do these specially chosen Columbia people get? How much is tuition at Columbia and NYU? I've seen a lot of posts that say there was great funding, but without giving numbers they don't really tell you anything. 

Columbia costs around $72k a year. That's just tuition and fees. This is what most people pay. The best packages are around $30k for the first year with tuition remission the second year IF you get one of the extremely competitive teaching spots. Certain positions (like presiding over Our Word) also give some funding. But even with the best offer you still end up spending tens of thousands of dollars. And, again, we're talking about a package 3-4 out of 100 people in the incoming class get. 

NYU is slightly better. Everyone who gets in gets half tuition remission so the whole degree is around $30k. Some people get 100% tuition remission, health insurance, and an actual stipend for tuition, food, and whatever else you may need. 

Edited by jka0124

3 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Oh dear, the rejections from Ohio have begun via website. Good luck to all of you.

Yep, and I saw 8-10 people mentioning being rejected on Draft. Didn't apply to Ohio State, but I'm just bracing myself for mentions of my schools.

Holy smokes, did anyone else just get an email from Northwestern with regard to delayed decisions? My heart just about stopped seeing "Decision Date" and "Northwestern" in the subject line, haha.

And on that note, I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from GradCafe and Draft until decisions begin in earnest in mid-February. The constant refresh/anxiety spiral is so draining! See you all in a few weeks! ?

5 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

yo just made an account to wish everyone good luck :3 

Soon we'll be liberated from this hellish purgatory...

Welcome and good luck to you as well!

2 minutes ago, KZK said:

And on that note, I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from GradCafe and Draft until decisions begin in earnest in mid-February. The constant refresh/anxiety spiral is so draining! See you all in a few weeks! ?

Sounds like a great idea. I'm on the verge of making the same decision. This is so exhausting.

15 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Yep, just got my first rejection...Not a great feeling, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. 

Damn, I'm sorry! Seems like Ohio State got a lot of applicants and was really competitive. It's all subjective, of course! Garth Greenwell said every school except Iowa rejected him, so sometimes things just work out in odd ways.

24 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Yep, just got my first rejection...Not a great feeling, but I'm trying to stay hopeful. 

Keep your chin up. It's just the beginning! And like @mrvissersaid, Ohio is super competitive. I also believe they accepted a smaller cohort this year.

42 minutes ago, pattycat said:

Keep your chin up. It's just the beginning! And like @mrvissersaid, Ohio is super competitive. I also believe they accepted a smaller cohort this year.

Thank you! I think every college I applied to this year is super competitive haha...There's always next year though if this year ends up not working out. That was my plan. First year, apply to super competitive programs, and the next year I'm going to broaden my search to less competitive programs. 

28 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

Thank you! I think every college I applied to this year is super competitive haha...There's always next year though if this year ends up not working out. That was my plan. First year, apply to super competitive programs, and the next year I'm going to broaden my search to less competitive programs. 

I'm doing the same thing. This is my first year applying and nearly all of the programs I chose are super selective.