2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

20 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Where'd you apply for journalism? I did my undergrad in journalism and worked in the industry for a few years before shifting gears and trying this MFA thing.

That’s so cool! A lot of people shift gears and I don’t blame them but journalism was my first priority/choice in terms of what I wanted to study in grad school. I also really love writing— I’m sure you know that the two go hand in hand since you were in the industry. I applied to NYU, Northwestern, Columbia, CUNY, and my alma mater, UC Berkeley! ? they all respond in March though so haven’t heard back yet. 

4 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

Anyone waitlisted at their dream program and imploding? 

So much initial joy now so much MORE anxiety. *screams silently*

Which program did you get waitlisted at? Sorry, I’m slowly losing my mind and my memory isn’t great to begin with.

Also *screams silently* has the same energy as *hears silence*

Edited by Ydrl

1 minute ago, anna23 said:

That’s so cool! A lot of people shift gears and I don’t blame them but journalism was my first priority/choice in terms of what I wanted to study in grad school. I also really love writing— I’m sure you know that the two go hand in hand since you were in the industry. I applied to NYU, Northwestern, Columbia, CUNY, and my alma mater, UC Berkeley! ? they all respond in March though so haven’t heard back yet. 

Nice! Back when I was in journalism I really wanted to go to Columbia's program (like everyone else) and I still get their emails all the time. I got into journalism because it seemed a practical way to work with my loves of writing and politics, and I had some really cool experiences covering politics in Seattle and working at the state Capitol in Olympia. But eventually the reporting wasn't as fun for me and I was so much more focused on the writing, and I realized I should just chase my original passion in fiction. That said I had some really good times as a reporter and have some great memories to educate my current direction.

5 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

Congrats! That must be a great feeling. Michener is my dream program and it looks like a rejection is coming there, but I'm still excited about my last two choices!

Just now, mrvisser said:

Nice! Back when I was in journalism I really wanted to go to Columbia's program (like everyone else) and I still get their emails all the time. I got into journalism because it seemed a practical way to work with my loves of writing and politics, and I had some really cool experiences covering politics in Seattle and working at the state Capitol in Olympia. But eventually the reporting wasn't as fun for me and I was so much more focused on the writing, and I realized I should just chase my original passion in fiction. That said I had some really good times as a reporter and have some great memories to educate my current direction.

I think the fact that you have that experience is so great because reporting takes a lot out of a person and makes you so much stronger in a way. I’m glad you’re finally pursuing your passion!! ? crossing my fingers that I end up getting in somewhere out of the two paths I chose and can finally allow myself to see what I can accomplish with my writing. 

3 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Took me awhile but I made a pastel drawing.

It’s called “On my way to eat your planet”

9EAD0169-EED4-4F74-B186-41367FD42D96.jpeg

Missed commenting on this, but I wanted to say that it's gorgeous!!! It reminds me of Van Gogh's "Starry Night." :)

1 hour ago, anna23 said:

I applied for the poetry track! I’m doing alright, I applied to 10 schools total but only 4 of those were for MFA programs, the rest were journalism programs. I kind of applied as a spur of the moment thing but was really hoping I might have a chance. I guess we’ll see how the rest plays out! Hoping you hear back positive news!!! I want at least someone from this forum to get into Notre dame :)

Thank you so much. ❤️ I really am hoping I do, too, ha! I hope you hear back from all of your other apps soon--I'll be hoping/praying for you! :)

27 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

My heart is waitlisted, if that counts? It's like a horse ready to go out of the gate at the races, atm...

Haha, in all seriousness, though, is this the program you posted about a few weeks back? I hope you hear soon!!

22 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Congrats! That must be a great feeling. Michener is my dream program and it looks like a rejection is coming there, but I'm still excited about my last two choices!

I want to go there so badly, and there’s nothing I can really to change what will happen, and it feels like I might miss it but so little. Ughhh. I’ll try to stay positive. (I am happy with the options I have as well and very grateful!)

On 2/26/2021 at 7:50 PM, JPReinhold said:

This. The very first news I received was a waitlist to WashU. Since then I’ve been rejected from Michigan and Syracuse, but WashU was always where I wanted to be. Hard to get my hopes up when there are only four slots for fiction this year (some of y’all better get into Iowa) but also I can’t stop looking at apartments in St. Louis 

Are we counting those two (Iowa and Michener) out? I still feel like there are some calls that have to go out, especially because there's not been a very large number of acceptances for those two schools announced so far, especially Iowa, obviously.

But, yes, at some point, I'll have to concede and accept that it's over.

Hi all!! I’m new to this thread (and a bit late to the party I know). I was feeling good a few weeks ago when I got accepted at a really great lit mag with a poem in my writing sample and noooowwww I’ve had 6 straight rejections and am back on planet earth. I’m waiting on 9 schools but scrolling through here it’s sounding like people are estimating that if they haven’t been accepted by now that they likely won’t be even if they have a lot of schools left to hear from. Is that the case or is that my own skepticism influencing how I’m reading these posts??? 

9 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

Are we counting those two (Iowa and Michener) out? I still feel like there are some calls that have to go out, especially because there's not been a very large number of acceptances for those two schools announced so far, especially Iowa, obviously.

But, yes, at some point, I'll have to concede and accept that it's over.

I wouldn't! :) On Draft, there were a couple of people who got into both programs, and it (looked?--don't quote me on this) like via conversations in the comments that some people were leaning more towards accepting Michener offers over Iowa. Michener apparently had over 700 fiction applications this year, so if you haven't heard yet, maybe that means a waitlist? :D Hoping for the best for you!

7 minutes ago, nottheamazonalexa said:

Hi all!! I’m new to this thread (and a bit late to the party I know). I was feeling good a few weeks ago when I got accepted at a really great lit mag with a poem in my writing sample and noooowwww I’ve had 6 straight rejections and am back on planet earth. I’m waiting on 9 schools but scrolling through here it’s sounding like people are estimating that if they haven’t been accepted by now that they likely won’t be even if they have a lot of schools left to hear from. Is that the case or is that my own skepticism influencing how I’m reading these posts??? 

Nah, I wouldn't think that. It's more if there have been a ton of schools that have already made their calls or sent out their offers, but honestly, just seeing all of the history on the results page here, some people have gotten offers at the last minute as funding switched around, sometimes calls are staggered--you just don't know until you have the official notification from the university. I wouldn't give up hope, but, even if it doesn't work out acceptance-wise this round, don't stop believing in yourself. You can do it, and that acceptance from a lit mag is phenomenal. Congratulations on your success. :)

5 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Nah, I wouldn't think that. It's more if there have been a ton of schools that have already made their calls or sent out their offers, but honestly, just seeing all of the history on the results page here, some people have gotten offers at the last minute as funding switched around, sometimes calls are staggered--you just don't know until you have the official notification from the university. I wouldn't give up hope, but, even if it doesn't work out acceptance-wise this round, don't stop believing in yourself. You can do it, and that acceptance from a lit mag is phenomenal. Congratulations on your success. :)

Thank you!!! Also do you know if schools only accept via phone calls or is it phone or email? And do they make calls/send emails during weekends or is it safe to shut my brain off until Monday on MFA applications ?? Haha 

16 minutes ago, nottheamazonalexa said:

Thank you!!! Also do you know if schools only accept via phone calls or is it phone or email? And do they make calls/send emails during weekends or is it safe to shut my brain off until Monday on MFA applications ?? Haha 

Some do calls, some do emails. A lot of schools have called on weekends, so it's never safe to stop thinking about MFAs! 

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

I'm sure a lot of you saw this on Draft, but I think nothing displays what a crapshoot this is more than that girl who got seven straight rejections this year, and then today got accepted to both Iowa and Michener. Pretty incredible that it was the two most sought-after programs that saw her talent. You really just never know.

I'm still not incredibly optimistic about my chances at UW and Notre Dame after five straight rejections, but we'll see what happens.

Love it! I requested membership in the MFA Draft '21 group. Seems like another cool community. 

2 hours ago, nottheamazonalexa said:

When I said something along those lines earlier, I was coming from the perspective of a first time applicant and thinking very specifically about my own samples and SOP. I just meant now that I know more about the process, I don't think my application was very strong this year. I didn't mean to sound pessimistic overall-- it's definitely not over until it's over when it comes to hearing back!

Obviously I'd be thrilled to get into one of my pending schools, but it's been helpful to treat this like a learning experience rather than a failed attempt so far :) Congrats on the publication!

1 minute ago, Downtozero said:

I only saw fiction. I think I saw three total, some of them only shared in comments and didnt make their own post.

Huh, I wonder what’s happened to the poetry acceptances. They usually come out around the same time. Maybe the fiction committee really wanted to get their acceptances out.