2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

2 hours ago, goodcynara said:

DUDE. I learned in my meeting with Paige yesterday that two of their faculty members are veteran drummers from a couple of super cool bands: The Lemonheads and Semisonic! Damn SLC, you are winning my heart.

Wait, wtf, are you serious???!! I mean, I definitely have a big boner for their program, but that is just a cherry on top. I have mine on Wednesday!

hey y'all! i have some questions about the nyu waitlist email!

1. does anyone have an idea of when people first start getting admitted off of the waitlist? based on last year maybe??

2. what's the deal with the paris program part of the email? i know the deadline for the low-residency mfa program already passed, but since they mentioned it in the email, i'm assuming they're reserving some spots for waitlisted people (???) does anyone know anything concrete about the paris program other than what's listed on their site? 

thank you so much ❤️

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has any insight into Stegner acceptances. A few portal rejections showed up today and yesterday. Anyone heard of an acceptance for fiction? Anyone on Draft that could relay any insights? Thanks! And good luck with your MFA apps. I went through an all rejection season a few years back then came out the following year with 3 fully funded offers. Keep your hopes alive!

32 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Wait, wtf, are you serious???!! I mean, I definitely have a big boner for their program, but that is just a cherry on top. I have mine on Wednesday!

No joke! Faculty member Jake Slichter wrote a book about his days in Semisonic! And here's a cool interview with David Ryan about his connection to writing and music. Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Just wanted to say good luck on mid-terms and big paper assignments for those of you who are also trying to keep up your GPA while going through this insanity. I know I'm like- read a page, check my email, read a page, check my email....(sigh). I feel like my life is on hold when I should be bouncing off the walls about graduating...virtually (which sucks too).

Come on normal....I miss you.

52 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

No joke! Faculty member Jake Slichter wrote a book about his days in Semisonic! And here's a cool interview with David Ryan about his connection to writing and music. Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

That is so awesome! Omg it’s as if this school is screaming at me that we’re meant to be. We’ll have to discuss all that and how you’re leaning. 

4 hours ago, Nervis said:

And to add something fun to this: I checked my application portal for The New School this morning and I have no status update/decision link, no emails from them, but when I click on my application I do have a thing that says Forms: Required: Reply to Offer of Admission, which leads me to a place where I can accept or decline the offer of admission to the school, which I have not received??

Just checked and I have one too - checked my emails, no letters from them either, so no idea what I'd be saying yes to haha.

1 hour ago, helterskelter said:

Just checked and I have one too - checked my emails, no letters from them either, so no idea what I'd be saying yes to haha.

I called them and apparently I was admitted on March 9 but have no access to the letter/results. The person on the phone was great and helpful, but other people are experiencing this and have called with mixed results - ie being dismissed. They apparently have a bunch of messed up stuff happening in their portals, but I know that at least two of us were accepted without knowing it. I wrote an email prior to calling (changed course) and the person who responded to my email basically said it was a mistake and was trying to smokescreen me, so it really depends on who you talk to. They are probably working to fix it all, hopefully, but also...wtf. How are they going to know who hasn't received their letters if we don't tell them? Edit to say that I'm not sure that it means universally that you're admitted if that has happened. 

Edited by Nervis

2 hours ago, helterskelter said:

I have one as well wtf?? Mistake or should I be screaming right now? But i'm fairly certain it wasn't there this morning when the first person posted....Edit: Just saw the person explaining who called them. Well. So I guess just more days of confusion....

Edited by corgeel14

10 minutes ago, corgeel14 said:

I have one as well wtf?? Mistake or should I be screaming right now? But i'm fairly certain it wasn't there this morning when the first person posted....Edit: Just saw the person explaining who called them. Well. So I guess just more days of confusion....

Yeah no I don't think I can afford to get excited just to get my hopes crushed, my poor soul can only handle so many blows. Tough year guys. Good luck to you though, I really hope this is good news! I probably won't be able to accept the offer without some generous funding, but it's always validating to get an acceptance.

4 hours ago, chachaslide said:

I only applied for one program and I got waitlisted. Does anyone know how often people get accepted off of waitlists? I'm literally freaking out.

I know this isn't helpful, but it really, really depends.

So first off, it depends on how big the waitlist is. Then it also depends on how many people they actually accept. Then it depends on how "elite" the school is (if they have an attractive offer, people are less likely to pick a different offer).

So there's a lot of variables. But usually you'll know sometime before april 14th if you're in or not. 

12 hours ago, chachaslide said:

Hiiiiiii

I only applied for one program and I got waitlisted. Does anyone know how often people get accepted off of waitlists? I'm literally freaking out.  

Congrats! You should email them and ask and make it clear you will go if accepted. I'm on 3 waitlists right now. It sucks but we can make it!

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone has any news about Iowa? My online profile still says "in progress," but I read that letters are being sent via snail mail regarding waitlists. Has anyone received a waitlist or rejection letter yet? I'm wondering if I should call the admissions office and ask them for an update (???) thanks!

Edited by JennyO

16 minutes ago, Greel said:

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about negotiating more funding? I've heard its possible, but also that it matters the way in which you approach it with the school. Any tidbits of advice?

I did this before in a different field and am pretty sure I just sent an email saying “I’d love to attend your program, but I can’t afford it without more aid.” And I got more aid (but didn’t attend anyway—long story). Dunno if that’s especially good advice, LOL, but it’s my experience. 

58 minutes ago, funfettuccine said:
1 hour ago, Greel said:

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about negotiating more funding? I've heard its possible, but also that it matters the way in which you approach it with the school. Any tidbits of advice?

I did this before in a different field and am pretty sure I just sent an email saying “I’d love to attend your program, but I can’t afford it without more aid.” And I got more aid (but didn’t attend anyway—long story). Dunno if that’s especially good advice, LOL, but it’s my experience. 

Seconding this strategy; I've used it as well with some success. Even if the program doesn't have more moeny immediately, it can bump you higher on the list if more funding opens up. You can also leverage other offers/funding sources if you have them ("I'm choosing between multiple programs, and funding is one of my primary concerns...").

Edited by feralgrad

57 minutes ago, JennyO said:

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone has any news about Iowa? My online profile still says "in progress," but I read that letters are being sent via snail mail regarding waitlists. Has anyone received a waitlist or rejection letter yet? I'm wondering if I should call the admissions office and ask them for an update (???) thanks!

It's safe to assume Iowa is done with acceptances.  I received my rejection letter last week, and waitlist notices went out as well.  Like the Biebs likes to say, "Never say never," but statistically speaking, the 'in progress' just means they haven't updated the system yet and you'll be receiving your "thanks, but no thanks" or "watch this space" letter soon via ze postman.

Hope this has been informative and enjoyable to read.

8 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Seconding this strategy; I've used it as well with some success. Even if the program doesn't have more moeny immediately, it can bump you higher on the list if more funding opens up. You can also leverage other offers/funding sources if you have them ("I'm choosing between multiple programs, and funding is one of my primary concerns...").

Thanks feralgrad, funfettuccine! This is super helpful. I'm choosing between two fully-funded programs that are around the 13,000 mark in funding for 9 months. I know often there are other fellowships/funding avenues available or become available during the course of the MFA. I guess my main concern is going the 'I'd love to come here but can't without more funding" route and they say '"sorry but nope"-- would that put me in a bad position within the program if I were to eventually accept?

Edited by Greel
typos oopsie

I think being upfront is always the best policy.  Being upfront does not necessitate rudeness.  However, if we're not upfront, then we risk settling or accepting offers that we can't handle economically.

Schools are set up to take you or not to take you based on some unknown variable of merit that they (and only they) are privy to, and that can change at a moment's notice.

The very least we can do is let them know what we require in order to be able to accept their offer and also remain a fiscally responsible human being.

If they have a problem with that, quite frankly, I'd have no business accepting to go there, period.

I get that there's an overwhelming need to tread carefully when it comes to the tenuous months after acceptance but before actually beginning a grad program...

But we're grown-ass adults, right?  We need to make grown-ass adult choices in conjunction with our trips to la-la land and our naps atop coffee-beans hills that will support our immune system for the year or two years it'll take to complete our writerly missions.

If they rescind an offer or treat you differently because you deigned to inquire about funding, they can outright blow it through a horse's ass.

Um, that's just my take on it, though.  ;)

23 hours ago, koechophe said:

I just got a semi-official rejection from my one Rhet/Comp application for WSU. I emailed the director, and he let me know that initial offers have already gone out, then asked if I'd accepted a different offer so he could remove me from consideration. From the tone of the email, I gathered that I wasn't high enough on their "wait list" for me to have any real possibility of getting in. 

So my only 3 schools with nothing are University of Utah, University of Las Vegas Nevada, and Oklahoma State. I've heard from other posters that Utah is probably out, and the other two sent out their initial offers ages ago, so I'm guessing it's probably a no from them too.

It does sting. I feel like in other years, I might've had a pretty decent shot at making it into some of these schools. This is the lovely year I had to graduate into, and if it weren't for the pandemic, I might've been able to keep to my plan and keep studying. But maybe not--as far as I'm aware, I never even made it to a wait list.

I know the users on here have said it's not necessarily being "good" at writing that gets you in, it's just being what they want, but since my goal is to eventually teach, I need an MFA (or an MA) as a stepping stone to a PHD.

So the best I can do is keep working on my writing and try to make it better, then reapply? I can't control what the admissions people want, and to a pretty large degree, I can't ever really know that. What I can control is my own output, and so even though people are saying it's not about being "good," what else can I do with my own output but attempt to make it better? 

I have to believe that, at the end of the day, my path to graduate school lies in improving my abilities as a writer. 

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for the support from everyone. Unless a miracle happens, I'll stick around and go through this whole schtick again in one year. 

It seems like your main goal is teaching. Why is the MFA part of the plan? To be candid, some programs see an emphasis on teaching as a negative. There just aren’t many teaching jobs out there. You may be able to circumvent the MFA altogether and just get a PhD in English if the PhD is your goal. I’m just spitballing a bit here though. Ultimately I think you should try again next cycle! I bet your next app will be much much stronger.