2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

I feel like it was talked about awhile ago but I can't find it now.

How do you find out how many people apply to a program if they don't disclose it on their program page?

I only applied to hyper-competitive programs this year and that worked out just terribly so I'm trying to do some better research. 

2 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

this is a damn good suggestion. perhaps I should start doing it. listen to songs, get prompts, make up plots...

I tried using the people I have met (killers, prostitutes, rapists, thieves, prisoners) but I couldn't. maybe I need to devote time to this. can't do it with a job that involves writing. I guess I am the biggest obstacle for myself. but you guys are so lovely and so supportive. 

That's because you are a truth-teller. I was a cop for a bit and all I ever did was tell the truth. When I left that career, I couldn't write nonfiction...I was so mentally blocked there. But I told myself I was tired of seeing and telling all the ugly truths. I used fiction as a way to escape that often morbid reality. So I get the bad shit you see and how it sticks with you. Not everyone will agree with me, but I found that writing in third person, past tense really helped me detach from that issue I was having (from a truth-telling profession). All those times I wished the ending for people would have been different...I wrote it that way-the way I wish it could have been. Maybe try that. The guy with the bird...I'd read that one.

8 minutes ago, frecklefrex said:

I feel like it was talked about awhile ago but I can't find it now.

How do you find out how many people apply to a program if they don't disclose it on their program page?

I only applied to hyper-competitive programs this year and that worked out just terribly so I'm trying to do some better research. 

Look at Poet & Writers grad program database...it tells the incoming class size for each program. Not that it's true for THIS year, but a general idea at least. 

also waitlisted at nyu for fiction!!! it's the first positive news i've heard but i'm feeling pretty mixed since i wasn't expecting to hear ANY positive news this year....but anyway not getting my hopes up too much. i'm wondering if anyone can point me to any data about how many people they've accepted from waitlists in the past. thank you!!

2 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

also waitlisted at nyu for fiction!!! it's the first positive news i've heard but i'm feeling pretty mixed since i wasn't expecting to hear ANY positive news this year....but anyway not getting my hopes up too much. i'm wondering if anyone can point me to any data about how many people they've accepted from waitlists in the past. thank you!!

I was also just waitlisted at NYU for fiction! I lurked the previous draft groups and I couldn't find anything concrete, but it seems like they traditionally keep a long list. I'm not hoping out hope, but imo it's really cool that someone read our work and found merit in it :) Congrats!

Just now, kikis_delivery said:

right??? for every person on this forum there must be lots of lurkers and lots of people who don't even know about it so it must be at least like 30 ppl on the list???

That is my thinking. Funny how they also won't provide the size or our place on it.

Also, to your second message: normally 40-60 per P&W, but someone posted here they are only accepting like 25-30 this year, right? I think I read that. Anyone remember?

27 minutes ago, Cristie said:

That's because you are a truth-teller. I was a cop for a bit and all I ever did was tell the truth. When I left that career, I couldn't write nonfiction...I was so mentally blocked there. But I told myself I was tired of seeing and telling all the ugly truths. I used fiction as a way to escape that often morbid reality. So I get the bad shit you see and how it sticks with you. Not everyone will agree with me, but I found that writing in third person, past tense really helped me detach from that issue I was having (from a truth-telling profession). All those times I wished the ending for people would have been different...I wrote it that way-the way I wish it could have been. Maybe try that. The guy with the bird...I'd read that one.

Hey, whatever you have written is so fascinating and so true. And I agree with you about the ugly truths and the bad shit that sticks with us. I actually applied for fiction to make the endings change or where there were no endings, make up an ending that would make it seem bearable. And I guess you are right about the third person. I am going to try that. The guy with the bird is fascinating. the bird died in 2019. He had played for the bird for 32 years. He said it required more love than he could give it. but I got stuck there. Maybe I will try again ::::) thanks so much. hugs.

4 minutes ago, shakyboots said:

That is my thinking. Funny how they also won't provide the size or our place on it.

Also, to your second message: normally 40-60 per P&W, but someone posted here they are only accepting like 25-30 this year, right? I think I read that. Anyone remember?

i just found this quotation on the FAQ portion of the site: "We have approximately 800 applicants each year. Of these, approximately 20-30 students are accepted in each genre. At any one time, there are about 110 students attending our graduate program."

Just now, kikis_delivery said:

i just found this quotation on the FAQ portion of the site: "We have approximately 800 applicants each year. Of these, approximately 20-30 students are accepted in each genre. At any one time, there are about 110 students attending our graduate program."

Okay, so then the 25-30 I was thinking was just a normal year's fiction cohort of 20-30 students. So that could very well be true this year, as well. Does anyone know if they are admitting a full-sized class, or have they cut seats like many other schools due to COVID?

12 minutes ago, shakyboots said:

Okay, so then the 25-30 I was thinking was just a normal year's fiction cohort of 20-30 students. So that could very well be true this year, as well. Does anyone know if they are admitting a full-sized class, or have they cut seats like many other schools due to COVID?

I heard from one of the accepted applicants that they took 16 for fiction this year. Seems like it’s been cut down? 

19 minutes ago, shakyboots said:

I would really wonder about the quality of my MFA with that student/faculty ratio... Then again, maybe NYU has it all figured out. Anybody have any insight into how hands-on they are or are not, perhaps from a graduate of the program?

maybe they just have more faculty members than other programs? their faculty list on the site seems extensive 

49 minutes ago, shakyboots said:

Jeez how many of us did they put on the waitlist?? lol.

It looks to me that they wait listed almost everyone, and rejected almost no one. Can someone explain to me the advantages of NYU over a state/city school that charges $9,000 instead of $24,000 per year. Do you think you will learn more because of better teachers? Are you willing to pay a lot to be in New York and don't like City College's MFA?

6 minutes ago, lav said:

It looks to me that they wait listed almost everyone, and rejected almost no one. Can someone explain to me the advantages of NYU over a state/city school that charges $9,000 instead of $24,000 per year. Do you think you will learn more because of better teachers? Are you willing to pay a lot to be in New York and don't like City College's MFA?

I got rejected. I saw a couple on draft as well. My application was incomplete but that's irrelevant. But they did reject people.

Hey y'all - What are your thoughts on emailing a program that has not yet responded? I had decided against this, but something just posted on Draft is leading me to reconsider. Would love to hear your experience with this.

10 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

maybe they just have more faculty members than other programs? their faculty list on the site seems extensive 

Does it? Eight core fiction profs for up to sixty fiction students at once... Many schools have a much better ratio. I'd still love to attend though!

2 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

Hey y'all - What are your thoughts on emailing a program that has not yet responded? I had decided against this, but something just posted on Draft is leading me to reconsider. Would love to hear your experience with this.

It can't hurt you to inquire. They aren't that sensitive and ready to reject, lol.

26 minutes ago, lav said:

They rejected me ??

This was my weakest application. 
BUT I got into my top 2 choices sooo its' fine. I'm fine. *still crying a little on the inside*  

Edited by ZaytandLabna