2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

6 minutes ago, chrisclements said:

Oof, I don't really remember. draft, I think.

I see, I got waitlisted there as well and am just now going through the thread to check out what the status on them is. It is my dream school, so I was pretty stoked to even be waitlisted, but now the chances of being admitted are even slimmer. If it doesn't work out, I'll try again.

5 minutes ago, chrisclements said:

Oof, I don't really remember. draft, I think.

On their webpage, UTK says that getting in to phase 2 means you "rank among admitted and waitlisted students". I take this to mean that phase 2 is a waitlist and I sort of suspect the only people who got rejected past that point may have had transcript issues (UTK has strict English credit requirements). I only saw a few people on Draft drop off after phase 2. 

Has anyone tried contacting them to ask about rank? Might be worth reiterating your interest, if you really want to go to UTK. I bet a lot of waitlisted students applied because round 1 was free, and once they got through they figured they may as well pay the $60 to see if they could hit a home run. Probably will have a decent amount of movement if any of their admitted students decline.

1 minute ago, Downtozero said:

On their webpage, UTK says that getting in to phase 2 means you "rank among admitted and waitlisted students". I take this to mean that phase 2 is a waitlist and I sort of suspect the only people who got rejected past that point may have had transcript issues (UTK has strict English credit requirements). I only saw a few people on Draft drop off after phase 2. 

Has anyone tried contacting them to ask about rank? Might be worth reiterating your interest, if you really want to go to UTK. I bet a lot of waitlisted students applied because round 1 was free, and once they got through they figured they may as well pay the $60 to see if they could hit a home run. Probably will have a decent amount of movement if any of their admitted students decline.

I've asked about rank, and they stonewalled me, so not sure. Then again, I think I was talking to a grad student and not a program head. So I may send another email soon. Regardless, i think you're right about the waitlist 

1 minute ago, chrisclements said:

I've asked about rank, and they stonewalled me, so not sure. Then again, I think I was talking to a grad student and not a program head. So I may send another email soon. Regardless, i think you're right about the waitlist 

Thanks for sharing about how they treated your question about rank. From what I gleaned from Phase 2, they pretty much picked who they wanted in Phase 1 for the waitlist and to be admitted, but that was my guess. 

4 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

Thank you for the digging!

People waiting on Emerson, I emailed them to thank them for my prior inquiry and they emailed me back my app had been reviewed and I'm in. I think they may have a "rolling" system, so you may want to email them to query your status. Official decision and financing will come later this month. At least things are moving. NYU came out today (nyet, nein, no, not happening) and since the CORN(b)ELL tolled for me nor lolled the BROWN cow, and UMass declined my blandishments, I'm 2 for 4 so far and waiting now to hear back on 6. Really not sure if I want to go through this again next yr.

Edited by Boomer not Ok

4 minutes ago, Julie Stiles said:

Oh, my silly unwise and unread peers. Haven't you noticed that those with too much good luck aren't any happier than those with no luck at all? Do you need Shakespeare to tell you to aim for somewhere in between? Perhaps a wait list. 

PORTIA

By my troth, Nerissa, my little body is aweary of this great world.

NERISSA

You would be, sweet madam, if your miseries were in the same abundance as your good fortunes are. And yet for aught I see, they are as sick that surfeit with too much as they that starve with nothing. It is no mean happiness, therefore, to be seated in the mean. Superfluity comes sooner by white hairs, but competency lives longer.

I like "Aroint thee, ye rump fed ronyon." 

Hey guys,

Just you know there's a book I got awhile back called: "The Insiders Guide to Graduate Degrees in Creative Writing." published in 2018 by Seth Abramson. If I had found this forum sooner I would have recommended it sooner! Its a reference like anything else, but it holds better information than from 2012! You can get it on Amazon.

Here is the description:

"The Insider's Guide to Graduate Degrees in Creative Writing answers frequently asked questions on such topics as:

· Application prerequisites
· Program sizes and durations
· Funding
· Acceptance rates
· Cost of living
· Program curricula and demographics
· Workshopping techniques
· Student-faculty ratios
· Residency options
· Postgraduate fellowship placement
· Postgraduate job placement
· Programs' reputations and histories

The book also includes comprehensive and up-to-date hard data on the hundreds of terminal-degree graduate creative writing programs available throughout the US, UK, and internationally, making this an essential read for anyone planning to pursue a low- or full-residency graduate creative writing degree."

ISBN: 978-1350000407

1 hour ago, Boomer not Ok said:

It's got to be the incommensurable one, the one that has no center nor circumference. An agonizing suspension between possibility and actuality...true torture 

OMG I'm out of hearts. WTH? How can I be out of hearts??? So, I heart this and the other one too. You guys make me laugh. 

I have been a lurker all this while. Just wanted to say I got my rejections from NYU and Syracuse and UCSD. I haven't been able to write, think or read all this while. But now, I want to eat a slice of cake and listen to Leonard Cohen and crawl out of this dark den and find flowers and other pretty things. 

23 minutes ago, Blackhole said:

I have been a lurker all this while. Just wanted to say I got my rejections from NYU and Syracuse and UCSD. I haven't been able to write, think or read all this while. But now, I want to eat a slice of cake and listen to Leonard Cohen and crawl out of this dark den and find flowers and other pretty things. 

Gonna listen to Leonard Coco now. ❤️ 

5 hours ago, iai said:

I think I’m literally going crazy the longer this application season drags out /: If anyone hears from Columbia or The New School (fiction), please let me know ?

I'm also waiting to hear from Columbia for fiction! No news yet, wondering if we will get an email or a call?

Just now, SMSM1229 said:

I'm also waiting to hear from Columbia for fiction! No news yet, wondering if we will get an email or a call?

It seems like it’s probably a call looking at the poetry and CNF acceptances so far! ?

16 hours ago, Ydrl said:

@pattycat @mrvisser I miss you. I won't ask for you to you come back to this chaotic anxiety fueled dumpster fire, but what if...you popped in and said hello? ??? 

Hellloooo!!!! Sry---once the rejections started flowing in, I had a hard time coming here because anxiety, grief, etc. But moving on now! Hope you and everyone else here are doing well!

Also! We have room for a few more in our FICTION workshop if anyone else wants to join! We meet Monday nights at 6pm central. :)

UVA rejection in email just now. Let me know formal rejection was coming later from the university. Bummer they were my secret top choice.... but as a mostly cnf writer who writes a bit of fiction as well it's likely not the best spot for me. My options now are VCU or University of Kentucky and then I'm on Oregon State and Idaho waitlists.... time will tell I guess! Big hugs to everyone hearing tough news today. ❤️

Edited by Greel
typos hehe