2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

12 hours ago, scully7584 said:

Has anyone heard anything from LSU, Florida, Alabama, or UVA? 

Thanks for the replies in advance

Correction, see Spacedumpster's post. That's the first one I've seen. 

7 hours ago, Cristie said:

University of Florida---my portal still says "Under Review" and I've heard nothing from them. But word on here is that they have already sent out. I prefer to not give up hope and wait to see it in black and white. And I've seen no big announcements here. (Try the search bar on here and see if that pulls up any)

Florida State--Rejected. 

Not sure about the other Florida schools or which one you were asking about. Hope that helps but I'm pretty new here. Good luck, 

Cristie

Uhhhhhh, where on the portal does it say under review? I haven't been able to find that at all??? All I can find under my portal is that they've received all my materials?

7 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Uhhhhhh, where on the portal does it say under review? I haven't been able to find that at all??? All I can find under my portal is that they've received all my materials?

Mine says it next to transcripts. I don't know what to think of that. Let me know if your says that too. 

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Mine says it next to transcripts. I don't know what to think of that. Let me know if your says that too. 

It might be that your transcripts are under review. Are all of your checkmarks green?

14 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Oh yeah, check out Spacedumpster's post. That's recent. 

1 minute ago, Ydrl said:

It might be that your transcripts are under review. Are all of your checkmarks green?

Yes, everything is there. All green. What does yours say?

2 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

And I don't get that, I'm a double major honors student--so it's not my GPA. 

Just now, Cristie said:

And I don't get that, I'm a double major honors student--so it's not my GPA. 

What? The green checkmarks are to say they received all your transcripts.

4 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

What? The green checkmarks are to say they received all your transcripts.

Yes and in 3 places it says "Under Review." I have two transcripts. All green. It says it next to where they got them and then below that where it says "Transcripts Received". Maybe I should just go with not believing in the great portal...it's like the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

Hi there, is anyone else still waiting on Johns Hopkins? I haven't received a rejection or anything at all from them, and a couple of my friends who applied got their rejections last week. I emailed Yvonne Gobble but haven't heard back. My last name starts with a letter in the middle of the alphabet, but it seems like a long time to wait for batched rejections...

Hi, all. Just one more, day-of reminder that The Workshop is hosting a free panel for MFA applicants and you can still register over at readtheworkshop.com/events/

And I'll be generally around if anyone has questions about CU Boulder--just @ me. Last year I started up an Ask An MFA Alum thread on here, so if you'd like a tiny bit of intel, there's already some out there. Feel free to add more questions over there or over here, and I'll get to them ASAP. 

59 minutes ago, forthetruththeyburnyou said:

Hi, all. Just one more, day-of reminder that The Workshop is hosting a free panel for MFA applicants and you can still register over at readtheworkshop.com/events/

And I'll be generally around if anyone has questions about CU Boulder--just @ me. Last year I started up an Ask An MFA Alum thread on here, so if you'd like a tiny bit of intel, there's already some out there. Feel free to add more questions over there or over here, and I'll get to them ASAP. 

Will a video of the panel be posted online for those unable to attend?

19 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I’m sharing your vent. I’m waiting on NYU, Hunter, BC, and CU. Anyway, congrats on BC. Seems like a bunch of folk on this forum got in and will probably end up there. That’s amazing. Seems like a great program. Would you know if they will have a waitlist? (I assume they’ve notified all the accepted applicants by now.) I’ve written off Hunter. I think they contact you only if they’re interested. As best as I can tell, CU has only notified for CNF so far. I have no idea if NYU will have a waitlist. Apart from this, I’m still waiting on 4 other schools. 1 hasn’t bothered to respond to my inquiry. (Not a good look lol.) And it’s like mid-March already. Sheeeeeet...

Yeah I'm still waiting on NYU and CU and it's becoming extremely frustrating that there's no news still. We gotta make decisions people! Just let us know so mama can move on. Maybe also start a coven. Who knows.

1 hour ago, CrankyGinger said:

Yeah I'm still waiting on NYU and CU and it's becoming extremely frustrating that there's no news still. We gotta make decisions people! Just let us know so mama can move on. Maybe also start a coven. Who knows.

Yeah. I mean, I get that they're overworked, unprecedented amount of applications, etc, etc, but I would have a little more empathy if these weren't decisions that involve a lot of major life choices for people during a pandemic. How hard is it really to send out your acceptances, waitlists and rejections in a timely manner? A LOT of schools manage to do that. 

4 hours ago, SpaceJunk said:

Hi there, is anyone else still waiting on Johns Hopkins? I haven't received a rejection or anything at all from them, and a couple of my friends who applied got their rejections last week. I emailed Yvonne Gobble but haven't heard back. My last name starts with a letter in the middle of the alphabet, but it seems like a long time to wait for batched rejections...

Yes, I'm still waiting on John Hopkins. No rejection yet. My last name is in the upper-middle of the alphabet as well. I sent an e-mail, waiting to hear back. Online portal just says: "submitted successfully."

However, I was rejected from UMD today, on a Sunday...

Pending: Iowa, Boston U, John Hopkins, Virginia

1 hour ago, SofiTheCatGuardian said:

However, I was rejected from UMD today, on a Sunday...

I mean, I'd be happy for any people talking to me on any day--but yeah, not the best day to get a rejection

My condolences for not getting in. 

Edited by koechophe

Hopefully all the inevitable stress in my post won't be too contagious.. but is anyone else absolutely frazzled waiting for responses from Columbia? I've seen a few people post their acceptances on the results feed here for MFAs in Writing at Columbia and nearly all of them note that they received calls to inform them of their admission. However, on the CSA admissions policies webpage it says that admissions decisions won't be delivered over the phone- I'm honestly just wondering what to think about all this? I guess I'm hoping for solidarity more than answers, because I'm definitely grasping at straws as I anxiously wait for ANY information. I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to start sacrificing all my Columbia U Press books at the stake as an offering to the admissions gods.... 

1 hour ago, koechophe said:

I mean, I'd be happy for any people talking to me on any day--but yeah, not the best day to get a rejection

My condolences for not getting in. 

Thank you! But you're right it's good just to know for sure.

41 minutes ago, mesab said:

Hopefully all the inevitable stress in my post won't be too contagious.. but is anyone else absolutely frazzled waiting for responses from Columbia? I've seen a few people post their acceptances on the results feed here for MFAs in Writing at Columbia and nearly all of them note that they received calls to inform them of their admission. However, on the CSA admissions policies webpage it says that admissions decisions won't be delivered over the phone- I'm honestly just wondering what to think about all this? I guess I'm hoping for solidarity more than answers, because I'm definitely grasping at straws as I anxiously wait for ANY information. I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to start sacrificing all my Columbia U Press books at the stake as an offering to the admissions gods.... 

As best as I can tell on CU, if you’re applying for CNF, they are making calls for some accepted applicants. I have not seen any results posted for poetry or fiction, so I suspect these have not been released yet. Given the “immense” size of the incoming fiction and poetry cohort (my estimate is around 80-90 folk) plus the fact that CU probably will accept more than 80 or 90, bc they will lose many of them due to their funding, you would definitely see some postings on the results page. As for the calls, I think they do make them. But I suspect these go out to their top choices and most people who get in with no funding will find out through email. 

Edited by Boomer not Ok

51 minutes ago, mesab said:

If they're on schedule... results should definitely be out in the coming week per their history. But yeah, if you are fiction or poetry, nothing yet! Waiting in solidarity with you! 

Edited by M-Lin

Hey IWW applicants - A newly-posted IWW rejection in Results is accompanied by a note that states, "Not surprising, given their most recently declared direction." I'm not aware of this declaration - does anyone know where I might learn about it? I'm assuming I'll soon receive a rejection letter - just curious.

57 minutes ago, goodcynara said:

Hey IWW applicants - A newly-posted IWW rejection in Results is accompanied by a note that states, "Not surprising, given their most recently declared direction." I'm not aware of this declaration - does anyone know where I might learn about it? I'm assuming I'll soon receive a rejection letter - just curious.

my guess is they are salty that iowa has (slightly) more black professors and students ? , but just a guess  ( can confirm many a white man were admitted tho ??? )

Edited by ilikepoetry

29 minutes ago, ilikepoetry said:

my guess is they are salty that iowa has (slightly) more black professors and students ? , but just a guess  ( can confirm many a white man were admitted tho ??? )

Ha! "Salty" is one of my favorite descriptors for potentially problematic dynamics. Thanks for hipping me to this.