2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

12 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Do y'all ever submit to places you really, really have no business submitting to? Because I'm laughing at myself due to the magazine I just submitted to.

I submitted to The New Yorker, so... no. Never. I clearly don't set my sights high enough. 

7 minutes ago, Gloomy Dragonfly said:

Just got accepted at the University of Idaho for poetry ahhhh!!!! I was notified back in February that I was waitlisted, but a spot opened for me yesterday! If you're on a waitlist somewhere, I'm sending you all the best thoughts! ❤️ 

I was rejected from WashU and UNC Greensboro, but still waiting on UVA, Northern Michigan, and Eastern Washington. I'm thinking UVA is a no and just waiting on a rejection notification, but unsure about the rest. 

Congrats!!! I've been in touch with one of the CNF profs there (I'm also on the WL), the program sounds amazing. Prof I've been speaking to said he "continues to feel confident about my chances" so we'll see!!! Maybe we'll see eachother on campus in the fall!

1 minute ago, Greel said:

Congrats!!! I've been in touch with one of the CNF profs there (I'm also on the WL), the program sounds amazing. Prof I've been speaking to said he "continues to feel confident about my chances" so we'll see!!! Maybe we'll see eachother on campus in the fall!

Thank you sm! And congrats that's so exciting! I was told that the admissions/waitlists shift a lot before April 15th, so there's a good chance a spot will open. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

15 hours ago, koechophe said:

Just going to throw out this plug, anyone else in here still waiting on USC (University of Southern California)? Like, I saw a ton of rejections go out a week ago, and still haven't heard anything. I'm honestly a bit confused, I was expecting they'd reject me pretty promptly... Anyone else in this boat with them? 

Someone in my writer's group was admitted to the program and said she had an orientation this past week. A second person in this same group was rejected. Perhaps you're on the waitlist?

Sorry in advance for this lil vent post. I am tired of these inert New York-based schools! Lucky to get admitted to Brooklyn College, thank goodness, but still have heard nothing from NYU, The New School, or Hunter even though I know they sent out acceptances already. I only applied locally because I'm not willing to move, and it's frustrating that they all seem to (outside of BK) have the same lag time in releasing any waitlist info. I think Hunter is going to stay silent the whole time. The lack of transparency is pretty frustrating, despite my distractions. I'm 99% sure I'm going to accept BK's offer, but I would still like to know if there's any interest from anywhere else before doing so, or if I'm outright rejected.

43 minutes ago, Nervis said:

Sorry in advance for this lil vent post. I am tired of these inert New York-based schools! Lucky to get admitted to Brooklyn College, thank goodness, but still have heard nothing from NYU, The New School, or Hunter even though I know they sent out acceptances already. I only applied locally because I'm not willing to move, and it's frustrating that they all seem to (outside of BK) have the same lag time in releasing any waitlist info. I think Hunter is going to stay silent the whole time. The lack of transparency is pretty frustrating, despite my distractions. I'm 99% sure I'm going to accept BK's offer, but I would still like to know if there's any interest from anywhere else before doing so, or if I'm outright rejected.

I’m sharing your vent. I’m waiting on NYU, Hunter, BC, and CU. Anyway, congrats on BC. Seems like a bunch of folk on this forum got in and will probably end up there. That’s amazing. Seems like a great program. Would you know if they will have a waitlist? (I assume they’ve notified all the accepted applicants by now.) I’ve written off Hunter. I think they contact you only if they’re interested. As best as I can tell, CU has only notified for CNF so far. I have no idea if NYU will have a waitlist. Apart from this, I’m still waiting on 4 other schools. 1 hasn’t bothered to respond to my inquiry. (Not a good look lol.) And it’s like mid-March already. Sheeeeeet...

19 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I’m sharing your vent. I’m waiting on NYU, Hunter, BC, and CU. Anyway, congrats on BC. Seems like a bunch of folk on this forum got in and will probably end up there. That’s amazing. Seems like a great program. Would you know if they will have a waitlist? (I assume they’ve notified all the accepted applicants by now.) I’ve written off Hunter. I think they contact you only if they’re interested. As best as I can tell, CU has only notified for CNF so far. I have no idea if NYU will have a waitlist. Apart from this, I’m still waiting on 4 other schools. 1 hasn’t bothered to respond to my inquiry. (Not a good look lol.) And it’s like mid-March already. Sheeeeeet...

Yes I've talked to a few and it's been great to be in contact with prospective admits. It was actually my top choice (unless I actually got funding at NYU) so I'm happy about that. They do have a waitlist and based on Draft it seems to have gone out yesterday. I didn't apply to CU just for funding issues, so I'm not sure about them, though I'm hearing talk of some acceptances here and there, but probably just echoes of that CNF. I believe that NYU accepted fewer ppl for fiction this year than usual, 16 versus the 20-30 they usually admit, which I'm guessing might be due to pandemic deferrals. It looks like last year they sent out waitlists around March 10. Apparently their waitlist is know for being 'long and stagnant", but who knows how they're doing things this year. I just wish if we were definite 'no's' they would cut the strings and let us fly! lol. Good luck with your other schools! 

1 hour ago, corgeel14 said:

Any news from UC Irvine????

I applied in poetry and haven't heard a peep. Nor has my colleague, who applied in fiction. I saw one poetry acceptance in Results. Anyone out there want to identify themselves as the accepted writer, ease our minds, and proclaim your awesomeness?

57 minutes ago, Yellow62 said:

I see UVA sent out some rejections this week last year. Hoping they come through this week and get it over with. 

I feel the exact same way about UVA ? And Boston U. And everyone lol.

14 hours ago, iai said:

Long term lurker here ?

@SofiTheCatGuardian I believe Boston usually comes out late March/April. 

For Hopkins, I think notifications have gone out. At least I’ve seen them on Draft. For Maryland, I’ve seen some waitlists on draft as well. And for Iowa, I think you should be receiving a letter for waitlist or rejection any day now since a few have gotten it on Draft! 

Has anyone heard anything from NYU, Columbia, or The New School yet about waitlists or rejections? 

Thank you for this info, btw. I meant to respond last night. ?

36 minutes ago, Nervis said:

Yes I've talked to a few and it's been great to be in contact with prospective admits. It was actually my top choice (unless I actually got funding at NYU) so I'm happy about that. They do have a waitlist and based on Draft it seems to have gone out yesterday. I didn't apply to CU just for funding issues, so I'm not sure about them, though I'm hearing talk of some acceptances here and there, but probably just echoes of that CNF. I believe that NYU accepted fewer ppl for fiction this year than usual, 16 versus the 20-30 they usually admit, which I'm guessing might be due to pandemic deferrals. It looks like last year they sent out waitlists around March 10. Apparently their waitlist is know for being 'long and stagnant", but who knows how they're doing things this year. I just wish if we were definite 'no's' they would cut the strings and let us fly! lol. Good luck with your other schools! 

Thanks for update. Too bad about NYU low acceptance rate this year. But it would be good to get the final word from all these places. Again, well done on BC. 

Hey everybody. I accepted an offer from University of Florida yesterday. I fucking did it, and I'm gonna fuckin' do it, and I still can't believe it's real. I was fully expecting rejections across the board as this was my first year applying and applicant numbers are up seemingly everywhere. 

Anyway, best of luck to everyone still waiting on results, waitlists, etc! If you don't get in this round and plan to try again, I will say that I have been blown away by the warm welcome, positivity, and transparency about difficulties from the MFA community at UF-- grads and faculty alike. If you're looking for an aggressively friendly environment, it sure seems like you can find it in Gainesville.

Much love, my fellow neurotic internet pals.

6 hours ago, Nervis said:

Wait... Hunter sent out acceptances already????? oh boy.... I am stressing

10 minutes ago, anna23 said:

Wait... Hunter sent out acceptances already????? oh boy.... I am stressing

yeah I think they did interviews earlier this month so I assume decisions have been made at this point. I’m taking it as a rejection now ?

Edited by M-Lin

9 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

yeah I think they did interviews earlier this month so I assume decisions have been made at this point. I’m taking it as a rejection now ?

Me too. I think they also give their accepted candidates a 1 week turn-around time to accept and I guess most do. For the 1 or 2 that don't accept their offer, I think they have a B list and you would probably know if you're on it by now. 

11 hours ago, scully7584 said:

Has anyone heard anything from LSU, Florida, Alabama, or UVA? 

Thanks for the replies in advance

University of Florida---my portal still says "Under Review" and I've heard nothing from them. But word on here is that they have already sent out. I prefer to not give up hope and wait to see it in black and white. And I've seen no big announcements here. (Try the search bar on here and see if that pulls up any)

Florida State--Rejected. 

Not sure about the other Florida schools or which one you were asking about. Hope that helps but I'm pretty new here. Good luck, 

Cristie

9 hours ago, koechophe said:

I submitted to The New Yorker, so... no. Never. I clearly don't set my sights high enough. 

HA HA, this made my day. I straight up submitted to them, The Sun, and USA Hockey. I need a t-shirt. Random Submissions...or something, lol. 

11 hours ago, cecsav said:

I was notified by AL about two weeks ago. Haven't heard from LSU of UF. Didn't apply to UVA. 

See Spacedumpster's post. I don't know how to forward it to you. I didn't hear anything Friday but that's the first acceptance post I've seen for UF.