2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

UAF? (Fairbanks?)

That’s the one! But I also just read that you meant McNeese, so never mind! For anyone else looking for that sick MA/MFA deal, though, you can do it in Alaska!

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

My Florida State one was like that too, BRUTAL. Ouch-worthy.

Oh that hurts my heart. The only rejection I've got right now is Brown and it was pretty standard, "You're cool, but not right for me" kind of thing. I can't imagine opening my status and seeing, "DENIED A-HOLE!"

Just now, NLake said:

That’s the one! But I also just read that you meant McNeese, so never mind! For anyone else looking for that sick MA/MFA deal, though, you can do it in Alaska!

It's funny that the ONLY two schools that offer this option are so insanely far apart, literally the top and the bottom of my world. So it's freeze your a off or sweat it off and swat mosquitoes (sigh). Clearly, I went for the heat but yeah, saw that when I was searching. I did find a few others that do a dual certificate program but I've never really heard much about how certificates play out in the job world. You? And good luck, BUUURRRR. Hope you have one of those "Alaska" hats. 

Cristie

1 minute ago, CrankyGinger said:

Oh that hurts my heart. The only rejection I've got right now is Brown and it was pretty standard, "You're cool, but not right for me" kind of thing. I can't imagine opening my status and seeing, "DENIED A-HOLE!"

It kind of makes me feel like getting dumped and then...well, again....and again. It's not you it's me, lol. 

50 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

You’re right. There should be a dual option offered at more places. 

University of Alabama offers a simultaneous MA alongside the MFA as well. That's one of the big draws for me actually. 

5 minutes ago, cecsav said:

University of Alabama offers a simultaneous MA alongside the MFA as well. That's one of the big draws for me actually. 

So that's three then: Fairbanks, McNeese, and Alabama. 

Anyone know of any others to add to that list? I'd like to know for the next round just in case.

Cristie

Got rejected from Brown lol (of course) BUT.... I GOT ACCEPTED TO NORTHWESTERN FOR A MASTERS IN JOURNALISM!!

(I applied to journalism and creative writing) sooooo it looks like I'll be going to grad school after all! I still have 2 MFA programs left to hear back from since I only applied to 4. Exciting yet nerve-racking times!! 

10 minutes ago, anna23 said:

Got rejected from Brown lol (of course) BUT.... I GOT ACCEPTED TO NORTHWESTERN FOR A MASTERS IN JOURNALISM!!

(I applied to journalism and creative writing) sooooo it looks like I'll be going to grad school after all! I still have 2 MFA programs left to hear back from since I only applied to 4. Exciting yet nerve-racking times!! 

That’s an amazing journalism program, congrats!

15 minutes ago, Cristie said:

So that's three then: Fairbanks, McNeese, and Alabama. 

Anyone know of any others to add to that list? I'd like to know for the next round just in case.

Cristie

Northwestern's program is also a dual MFA+MA.

9 minutes ago, lenagator1997 said:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from University of Washington's MFA program? do they email you or do you just check the portal?

Hope you all are doing okay in this insane application season!

They'll email you if you're waitlisted. My portal didn't change after I got the email. 

8 minutes ago, fireflystasis said:

They'll email you if you're waitlisted. My portal didn't change after I got the email. 

Okay thanks good to know! I haven't gotten any email from them as of late so we will see!

Off topic a bit but I have 4 poems, I CNF piece and a short story at the moment staked out in Submittable Land and I've gotten this almost exact rejection from 2 separate pubs recently. Is this a new kind of form rejection letter? Any one else getting this response?

Thank you for sending us  ">>>>>>>>>>>>". We appreciated the chance to read it. Although there was a lot to like here, it didn't quite come together for us in the end, and we regret to pass. Although we're sorry we don't have better news at this time, consider submitting to us again in the future!

Thanks again for thinking of us. Best of luck with this!
Sincerely,

57 minutes ago, lenagator1997 said:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from University of Washington's MFA program? do they email you or do you just check the portal?

Hope you all are doing okay in this insane application season!

They emailed all the acceptances and waitlists. I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but they said they reached out to everybody that's in.

16 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

They emailed all the acceptances and waitlists. I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but they said they reached out to everybody that's in.

Okay that makes more sense honestly! thank you!

3 hours ago, CrankyGinger said:

That’s an amazing journalism program, congrats!

thank you so so much and thank you to everyone here for being so supportive and kind!! :)

Just going to throw out this plug, anyone else in here still waiting on USC (University of Southern California)? Like, I saw a ton of rejections go out a week ago, and still haven't heard anything. I'm honestly a bit confused, I was expecting they'd reject me pretty promptly... Anyone else in this boat with them? 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, panglosian said:

Has this happened to anyone else? Mine still says under program review (active), but I don't want to get my hopes up. Portals are never reliable, but I'll let you know today if mine changes!

Hey! I'm new here, but I just noticed my University of Maryland (fiction) also says Under Grad School Review instead of Program review now too.