2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

10 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I'm also interested in Columbia but have concerns about the $$$ (especially compared with other partial funded or fully funded programs). Seems like Columbia charges 2x market rate. From looking at websites of other programs in NYC area, it seems some of the profs moonlight or teach at multiple locations. Makes sense, if they're not permanent hires. 

I haven't done extensive research on MFA programs since I was only focusing on NY schools (I have the impression that you're in the same boat?) but from what I understand about Columbia, their tuition is calculated from the credits the students are required to complete. The degree requires 60 credits as opposed to 32 credits like NYU does, thus "2x the market rate". If NYU required the same amount of credits, it would probably be the same price. I went to NYU for undergrad and it was like a little less 2k for one credit. I imagine it's similar for graduate school and Columbia. 

10 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

Many of them are also quite famous and simply not interested in teaching (this according to grads)

Yeah I was wondering who actually teaches there. There are so many adjunct/part-time faculty listed. 

I love the faculty at NYU and it is a much smaller program. But then I read this (source: https://www.pw.org/content/portraits_from_MFA_nation ). 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.59.57 PM.png

4 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Yeah I was wondering who actually teaches there. There are so many adjunct/part-time faculty listed. 

I love the faculty at NYU and it is a much smaller program. But then I read this (source: https://www.pw.org/content/portraits_from_MFA_nation ). 

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.59.57 PM.png

Just wanted to note this interview is ten years old and that writer got a really shitty deal (aka was not one of the ones with a stipend, health insurance, teaching money, etc). She’s also probably kicking herself for turning down $$$ for the name. I really hope no one here does that. It doesn’t seem to pay off. 

6 minutes ago, Sally J said:

That's not how I see it. If they want you, they don't charge you. If they charge you, they don't want you. They want your money. 

Well, they don’t accept just *anybody.* Plenty of people complain about being rejected from Columbia and their ilk. So I think on some level they definitely like your writing.

But I absolutely agree with you in spirit. At the end of the day, if they’re not offering you funding, they obviously want your money. Even their lack of fee waivers hint at that. 

1 minute ago, jka0124 said:

But I absolutely agree with you in spirit. At the end of the day, if they’re not offering you funding, they obviously want your money. Even their lack of fee waivers hint at that. 

also just fyi: my guess is that Sally is the latest reincarnation of Gustav/Gertrude/Marshall lol. They seem to pop up whenever we regress back into this Columbia conversation 

12 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

also just fyi: my guess is that Sally is the latest reincarnation of Gustav/Gertrude/Marshall lol. They seem to pop up whenever we regress back into this Columbia conversation 

guilty of starting up the Columbia conversation again ?‍♀️ 

Also maybe it's time for GradCafe to start a fact-checking department. lol 

Hi. 

New here.

UMKC-Accepted

U of Wyoming-Rejected

Florida State-Rejected

U of Tennessee Knoxville-Rejected

Still waiting: U of Florida Gainesville, U of Charleston S.C., U of New Orleans, and McNeese State U.

Has anyone heard anything from/about those?

Many thanks,

Cristie

2 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Hi. 

New here.

UMKC-Accepted

U of Wyoming-Rejected

Florida State-Rejected

Still waiting: U of Florida Gainesville, U of Charleston S.C., U of New Orleans, and McNeese State U.

Many thanks,

Cristie

Do you mean the College of Charleston in Charleston SC? Or is there a University of South Carolina MFA program at a charleston campus?

I used to live in Charleston and can attest wonderful things to the CofC faculty and alumni. The city also has a fantastic bookstore there called “Blue Bicycle Books.” 

1 hour ago, M-Lin said:

I haven't done extensive research on MFA programs since I was only focusing on NY schools (I have the impression that you're in the same boat?) but from what I understand about Columbia, their tuition is calculated from the credits the students are required to complete. The degree requires 60 credits as opposed to 32 credits like NYU does, thus "2x the market rate". If NYU required the same amount of credits, it would probably be the same price. I went to NYU for undergrad and it was like a little less 2k for one credit. I imagine it's similar for graduate school and Columbia. 

Thanks. That now actually makes fiscal sense when you consider the degree from a credit perspective. That's a lot of credits (60).  I think we have some overlap in our programs. I applied to mostly NYC schools, Rutgers Camden and some in Boston. I think my shot at CU is "iffy," considering I haven't had any contact from my other NYC schools (NYU, Hunter, BC), although they are more competitive. (I passed on New School, CCNY and Queen's.) 

2 hours ago, NLake said:

As we inch ever closer to that April 15th deadline, I’m wondering how folx plan on handling accepting/denying when they are hoping to come off a waitlist. I’ve got one fully funded offer, one acceptance with waitlisted funding, and two waitlists for admission. While I want to be considerate to those on the waitlist for the school I’ve gotten a good offer from, I am really hoping in coming off of one of my own waitlists. What happens if I wait until 4/15, don’t hear anything from my waitlists, accept the one full offer I’ve got, and then get a call from my preferred school the next day? Are my hands tied? Am I bound to the program I committed to reluctantly not a full day prior?

I realize this is a pretty sweet position to be in, and I will be honored and excited to go to any of the schools I applied to. But man, it’ll suck to commit to one and then hear back shortly after from my dream school. It feels like a vicious cycle, as the folx I’m waiting on to decline their offers (so I can have them) are likely waiting on the very same thing from some other lucky person at some other awesome program. Advice, thoughts, slaps of reality welcome. 

I’m funnily enough in the exact same boat as you re: 2 acceptances- 1 w waitlist funding and then 2 waitlists... I want to be as considerate as possible to those in a similar position to me on waitlists, but also don’t want to turn down offers too hastily. 

if anyone has any advice here I would also welcome it!

2 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

I'm also interested in Columbia but have concerns about the $$$ (especially compared with other partial funded or fully funded programs). Seems like Columbia charges 2x market rate. From looking at websites of other programs in NYC area, it seems some of the profs moonlight or teach at multiple locations. Makes sense, if they're not permanent hires. 

Yeah, they're twice the price of the school I got an offer from. Unless I got a lot of funding with them, I'd have to decline if they accept me. No one should be $120K in debt for grad school. Especially not an MFA.

2 hours ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Thanks. That now actually makes fiscal sense when you consider the degree from a credit perspective. That's a lot of credits (60).  I think we have some overlap in our programs. I applied to mostly NYC schools, Rutgers Camden and some in Boston. I think my shot at CU is "iffy," considering I haven't had any contact from my other NYC schools (NYU, Hunter, BC), although they are more competitive. (I passed on New School, CCNY and Queen's.) 

I was very fortunate to be admitted to Brooklyn College which I would love to attend ☺️. No news from Hunter either. Hope we hear from Columbia soon! And your other schools. We're almost there! 

2 hours ago, Greel said:

I’m funnily enough in the exact same boat as you re: 2 acceptances- 1 w waitlist funding and then 2 waitlists... I want to be as considerate as possible to those in a similar position to me on waitlists, but also don’t want to turn down offers too hastily. 

if anyone has any advice here I would also welcome it!

It’s such a tricky position. I truly don’t want to put anyone else into this predicament, but I’m currently not willing to give up hope that funding will come through, or that I’ll get off the waitlist. 

Can I ask what schools you’re accepted/waitlisted at? No worries if you don’t want to share!

28 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

I was very fortunate to be admitted to Brooklyn College which I would love to attend ☺️. No news from Hunter either. Hope we hear from Columbia soon! And your other schools. We're almost there! 

Well done on Brooklyn!!! That seems a great option. Still waiting on 8 schools. Nada...

41 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Ooooh Brooklyn. Are you leaning that way? Also, are you poetry or fiction? (You have probably said this repeatedly, sorry!)

3 hours ago, Cristie said:

Hi. 

New here.

UMKC-Accepted

U of Wyoming-Rejected

Florida State-Rejected

Many thanks,

Cristie

UF seems to have sent out all of their acceptances and waitlists (certainly have for fiction and I believe for poetry). I’ve considered it a loss since last week. 

22 minutes ago, Sally J said:

In Fiction, you often need to document character traits from characters who are unaware of them. 

Character A might complain about Character B too much. The lady protesting too much. That might tell us A is in love with B. 

Sometimes Character A will make statements that are inconsistent with action and this will establish A is unaware of a trait. For instance, A might issue grand proclamations of unimpeachable character and take no action consistent with the proclamations.  

So here are options: 

1. Character A says I'm not giving up my wait list spot until something better comes. That's what anyone would do.  

2. Character A says the above and adds "but it pains me." Now, you've implied A is unaware he isn't as noble as he thinks. 

Rambling, over-explaining...

Marshall.

Hey all,

Hypothetical question. Let's say you interviewed with a professor/writer you admire at an MFA program, received an offer, but turned it down. Do you think it'd still be possible to establish a relationship with that professor/writer (keeping in mind, of course, that the students they advise and their own work will take priority over you)? How would one go about that? Is it frowned upon to try to establish such a relationship?

Okay, hear me out. I might sound ungrateful, but if I don't get a TA offer from UNH / get in anywhere with a livable stipend, I'm thinking of giving up my acceptances and go for a third round. If I went to UNH without a TAship for both years, I'd be down 30,000-35,000 dollars accounting for every expense.

This is exactly why I'm hoping to get my results soon. But I'm dreading them. I'm genuinely scared, and it's really hard to scare me after nearly dying last year.