2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

2 hours ago, jka0124 said:

Ooooh Brooklyn. Are you leaning that way? Also, are you poetry or fiction? (You have probably said this repeatedly, sorry!)

Fiction! Brooklyn is definitely one of my top choices. On the off chance that I get accepted into BU, I'd have to make a very hard choice. 

Edited by M-Lin

27 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

This is exactly why I'm hoping to get my results soon. But I'm dreading them. I'm genuinely scared, and it's really hard to scare me after nearly dying last year.

Heya, I really do feel this. I only applied to places that will fund me this year (or at least that have a high percentage of funding). You don't sound ungrateful; we all know it's an honor to be accepted, but we also all know that even for the best of us, writing isn't about the money, and doesn't offer a ton of money for us to throw at things like student debt.

This is the advice of a complete stranger, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd try not to stress out about taking an unfunded offer until the doors have ABSOLUTELY closed on any funded ones. And if that point comes, I'd recommend against getting an MFA unless you're funded. 

Either way, I hope whatever decision you make/outcome you experience suits you well. If things go poorly for us both, we might both be back here trying again next year ? 

This just round 1 for me, though, and I am only graduating in July of this year, so I know I'm probably not the best person to advocate patience. But at least for me, a lot of it is, I really thought my application was strong, and now I'm feeling like it wasn't enough, and that's a tough pill to swallow. If I were in your shoes, that could lead me to want to accept the offer I did get so that my application and my efforts would have been "enough." Don't wear that shoe if it doesn't fit, but that's how I'd be feeling, and that wouldn't be a good reason to actually say yes to an unfunded offer. 

Anyway, congrats on the offer you did get, and I hope you get one that fulfills your needs better. 

Hello good people. I applied to two creative writing MFAs this year as a practice round to learn how it goes, and I got a waitlist notification from Michener for fiction. I wasn’t anticipating to get lucky this year, but now I am starting to get antsy and nauseated every night and my hopes are up when I wasn’t expecting this kind of anxiety. Does anyone have experience with the Michener waitlists? I saw a post by someone who was waitlisted at Iowa asking for similar info and didn’t see much in the way of responses so I just decided to check in because I just want to know if I should calm down and anticipate reapplying this year. Any thoughts? Thank you. 

So I heard back from Emerson. Said they are still processing apps and will release decisions by the end of the month. Great. 

No response yet from Rutgers Camden. Not sure what's happening there. Something kinda whack with that place. I recall you had to email them your submission portfolio. Just checked my portal to see if they'd snuffed my app after my inquiry but still says "No decision." 

11 minutes ago, bullfrogmama said:

Hello good people. I applied to two creative writing MFAs this year as a practice round to learn how it goes, and I got a waitlist notification from Michener for fiction. I wasn’t anticipating to get lucky this year, but now I am starting to get antsy and nauseated every night and my hopes are up when I wasn’t expecting this kind of anxiety. Does anyone have experience with the Michener waitlists? I saw a post by someone who was waitlisted at Iowa asking for similar info and didn’t see much in the way of responses so I just decided to check in because I just want to know if I should calm down and anticipate reapplying this year. Any thoughts? Thank you. 

People surprisingly get in off the waitlist quite often. Usually because the Michener people also get into Iowa and Michigan etc etc and actually *want* to teach. I don’t think Michener is very forthcoming about rankings but you should email in two weeks or so to check in. Billy, the one who does all the admin stuff, is quite nice.

My best advice is to plan to reapply next year. That way you either get a happy surprise or you’re already prepared for round two if you get rejected. 

Just now, jka0124 said:

People surprisingly get in off the waitlist quite often. Usually because the Michener people also get into Iowa and Michigan etc etc and actually *want* to teach. I don’t think Michener is very forthcoming about rankings but you should email in two weeks or so to check in. Billy, the one who does all the admin stuff, is quite nice.

My best advice is to plan to reapply next year. That way you either get a happy surprise or you’re already prepared for round two if you get rejected. 

Thanks so much—your perspective is absolutely correct and very appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Ydrl said:

Okay, hear me out. I might sound ungrateful, but if I don't get a TA offer from UNH / get in anywhere with a livable stipend, I'm thinking of giving up my acceptances and go for a third round. If I went to UNH without a TAship for both years, I'd be down 30,000-35,000 dollars accounting for every expense.

This is exactly why I'm hoping to get my results soon. But I'm dreading them. I'm genuinely scared, and it's really hard to scare me after nearly dying last year.

You’re not being ungrateful at all! It’s completely understandable that you don’t want to go into debt for an MFA. A writing career is already uncertain enough without adding all the stress of taking out loans. There’s nothing wrong with trying again next year. This also was a really tough year for applications...so many applicants, less being accepted in programs, and the list goes on. I hope you get some good news from New Hampshire though! Has Maryland been in touch yet? 

2 minutes ago, FairleyAlfy said:

You’re not being ungrateful at all! It’s completely understandable that you don’t want to go into debt for an MFA. A writing career is already uncertain enough without adding all the stress of taking out loans. There’s nothing wrong with trying again next year. This also was a really tough year for applications...so many applicants, less being accepted in programs, and the list goes on. I hope you get some good news from New Hampshire though! Has Maryland been in touch yet? 

Maryland hasn't been in touch, and I'm still under program review. I'm also waiting on an email from Lindsay at UMD.

This is off topic, but does anyone know if writer's conferences are worth attending? I got into Looking Glass Rock that I randomly applied to on Submittable. No scholarship, but I could afford it if it's gonna do something a regular workshop through Lighthouse or whatever wouldn't. Anyone know anything about this?

Hi everyone –– I am generally forum- and MFA Draft-phobic, but wanted to know if anyone has heard anything from: 

• Rutgers-Newark
  • UVA

I've been rejected elsewhere and ghosted by R-Camden (though this is fine with me as I heard they've have funding issues again this year), so just want to go ahead and know if I can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   to this year and focus on the year ahead.

Similar sentiment and a similar question... does anyone know what's up with Eastern Washington University? EWU has been in the news this past year for horrendous budget issues. They pushed their app deadline (which is late to begin with) back one week, which seems weird. I'm curious if anyone has heard from them or has a read on the program's status.

Hmm, seems like today will be a slow day for communication from schools.

Of course, that just probably means I finally get that snail-mail rejection from Iowa today, haha.

Next week will hopefully open the floodgates...

Even though I'm still waiting on a few notifications, I've been seriously considering my options, and I don't know how to choose. Obviously, if UMKC doesn't offer me any funding, they're off the table, but I wouldn't have applied to these schools if they didn't all offer something I'm looking for. How do I decide between attending ASU and University of Alabama (on the assumption I'm waiting for inevitable rejections from my remaining applications)? 

4 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Even though I'm still waiting on a few notifications, I've been seriously considering my options, and I don't know how to choose. Obviously, if UMKC doesn't offer me any funding, they're off the table, but I wouldn't have applied to these schools if they didn't all offer something I'm looking for. How do I decide between attending ASU and University of Alabama (on the assumption I'm waiting for inevitable rejections from my remaining applications)? 

Yeah, those are two exciting programs. Being able to work with Natalie Diaz and Solmaz Sharif sounds like a dream, but Alabama giving support for four years is fantastic, and would give more time to work. This isn't helpful at all to you!, but that's just to say that those are two great programs, and I'm sure either choice will be fantastic.

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

This isn't helpful by any means, but I'm also the person who randomly applies then forgets things on Submittable. I feel attacked haha.

I do it all the time. And then 6 months later you get an email and you're like, who what huh? Ohhhhhhh.

3 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

GUYS I JUST GOT AN EMAIL THAT I'M ON THE WAITLIST FOR MARYLAND AND THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE A SPOT WILL OPEN UP. I'M GONNA FUCKING CRY!!!!!

LOOK AT YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! That's wonderful! Congratulations!! 

38 minutes ago, cecsav said:

The support at Alabama sounds great, but give me that Arizona sun and nature every time.

16 hours ago, JPReinhold said:

UF seems to have sent out all of their acceptances and waitlists (certainly have for fiction and I believe for poetry). I’ve considered it a loss since last week. 

Huh and fooey, know anything about nonfiction? I haven't heard anything at all from them. Thanks for letting me know. 

Many thanks, 

Cristie

Seven rejections this year, and now it's time to prepare for the next cycle. I'm definitely a little frustrated, but not nearly as much as I thought I would be with all rejections. Going to triple my number of applications for next cycle, and hopefully have a much stronger sample on hand.