2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

17 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

TBH, anyone who can coin something as wonderful as being “a nervous chihuahua piloting a human skin” should be getting a call from Iowa begging them to attend, even if they didn’t apply. Really hoping this comes through for you. 

Oh for sure. @Ydrl , you'd get my vote if I had been on any of the panels. Hope you get that Maryland slot, love.

Just now, fireflystasis said:

Anyone know if having your work published in litmags and the like helps your chances? Does it look good to adcoms? I was thinking of trying that before the next application season in case this one doesn't work out.

I mean, I've had my work published in 5 and it hasn't seemed to do much for me during this cycle, so, you know. But mine are all sort of middling ones, I think some of the serious ones might've done more good for me. It certainly doesn't hurt, at any rate. 

12 minutes ago, fireflystasis said:

Anyone know if having your work published in litmags and the like helps your chances? Does it look good to adcoms? I was thinking of trying that before the next application season in case this one doesn't work out.

i can’t speak to whether the publishing credit will help at all but lit mag responses to your submissions (rejections or acceptances) might be a good driving force for revision (especially if any responses come with editor notes). that could wind up benefiting your sample/writing anyway. definitely don’t think they’d hurt 

41 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

TBH, anyone who can coin something as wonderful as being “a nervous chihuahua piloting a human skin” should be getting a call from Iowa begging them to attend, even if they didn’t apply. Really hoping this comes through for you. 

21 minutes ago, CrankyGinger said:

Oh for sure. @Ydrl , you'd get my vote if I had been on any of the panels. Hope you get that Maryland slot, love.

You guys ? thank you for your support, I really hope this'll work out.

20 minutes ago, fireflystasis said:

I asked this question before. From my own experience this first time round, I would say it does not help. I submitted some pieces that had been published in “competitive” paying lit mags. The kind that have editors and all kinds of intern readers with MFAs. Has it hurt me? Not sure. 

1 hour ago, Starbuck420 said:

Important to look at specifics though, bc I know Bowling Green in particular has a low stipend (of about $11k) with about $1k-3k  in fees, depending on whether or not you plan to purchase insurance, which is required. So, in a situation like that, it's like: is it really worth it? and would we really call it "fully funded?" Maybe your answer to both questions is yes, but $8k-9k is really a small salary for 9 months of work

anyway, sorry. only chiming in because Bowling Green is one I wrote off specifically for that reason. Relatively low teaching load though, which is nice

It’s also only a 1/1 teaching load and some students pick up extra work. They also have additional scholarships - Including a 5k diversity scholarship available. Not to mention, that part of Ohio is seriously cheap...

1 minute ago, JPReinhold said:

It’s also only a 1/1 teaching load and some students pick up extra work. They also have additional scholarships - Including a 5k diversity scholarship available. Not to mention, that part of Ohio is seriously cheap...

yeah, I mean again, the teaching load is relatively light, as we both point out, and maybe you're okay with this sort of setup. to each their own

1 hour ago, koechophe said:

I would honestly love more of your insights on this. First off, which schools would you consider to be lesser-known fully funded programs?

Second, my list of schools I applied to is:

University of Utah, University of Houston, Florida State, Oklahoma State, University of Lincoln-Nebraska, University of Nevada Las Vegas, University of Southern Californa, Washington State University (Rhet/comp, not MFA). 

Where do these schools fall on the list, if you know? 

Sorry for all the questions, but my school taught me literally nothing about applying for graduate programs. We don't have GRE prep and it's strictly undergraduate, so I felt very blind going into this. 

You really have to teach yourself unfortunately, by the end of this process, I feel like I should be putting a bullet point on my CV that says, "Professional Graduate School Applicant" because that's honestly what I feel like. It's like a second job. I suggest really researching each one and ones you've never considered too. I found one school I really want in because they offer the MA in English dual with the MFA in Creative Writing and why NOT get TWO at the same time! I can't find a single other school that does that (?) and am amazed that I don't see that school mentioned here (and only a few times on the thread search). No one told me about that, I had to find it on my own. So I say depend on no one to teach you, I used Poet & Writer's list to help me narrow down deadlines and full-funding. Good Luck!

Cristie

4 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

to each their own

I will say though that, for me, I know I'd be more productive -- and certainly also healthier -- working a full-time job and writing on the side than I would be at a program where I was financially insecure

Edited by Starbuck420
edit: typos

Got accepted to CCA's MFA in Writing program for Fall 2021! But I'm now chomping at the bit awaiting decisions from Bard and Columbia. Applied to both schools' MFA in Writing programs with a concentration in poetry. I haven't heard anything to date and the application portal doesn't seem to have any info as of yet... I saw on Bard's website that interviews were conducted March 6th and decision info comes out starting today, but I haven't been contacted at all. I know some folks who applied to the visual arts MFA programs were called for interviews last week and are now starting to receive admissions decisions...  

Does anyone have any ideas if not being called for an interview means outright rejection (for Bard, that is- Columbia seems to be even more vague about decision dates...) ? I've got a massive pit in my stomach thinking that I've already been rejected. 

3 minutes ago, moly said:

This argument comes up a lot, but I don't understand it. I call it the "crappy, but your style" criteria. 

It would work better if each school had one teacher. I might not like Toni Morrison's style even if she is famous. 

But each school has a bunch of teachers. In any school, there will be a couple teachers your style and a couple teachers who aren't. 

I completely agree. Over here cheering on the "crappy, but my style" schools! Jazz nearly killed me. 

10 minutes ago, Cristie said:

You really have to teach yourself unfortunately, by the end of this process, I feel like I should be putting a bullet point on my CV that says, "Professional Graduate School Applicant" because that's honestly what I feel like. It's like a second job. I suggest really researching each one and ones you've never considered too. I found one school I really want in because they offer the MA in English dual with the MFA in Creative Writing and why NOT get TWO at the same time! I can't find a single other school that does that (?) and am amazed that I don't see that school mentioned here (and only a few times on the thread search). No one told me about that, I had to find it on my own. So I say depend on no one to teach you, I used Poet & Writer's list to help me narrow down deadlines and full-funding. Good Luck!

Cristie

Do you mean McNeese State? I think they offer that dual degree. You can also apply to them without fee through Submittable. They don’t ask for recs. But it looks like they only have 2 or 3 teachers on their faculty. 

Just now, Boomer not Ok said:

Do you mean McNeese State? I think they offer that dual degree. You can also apply to them without fee through Submittable. They don’t ask for recs. But it looks like they only have 2 or 3 teachers on their faculty. 

SHHHHH.....lol. Yes McNeese. I bought one of the instructor's books and read it. LOVED. I just don't get why all these other schools don't do that too. I haven't heard from them yet or seen on here if anyone else has. Clearly...you did YOUR homework too ha ha.

Cristie

15 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I'm sure a couple of you saw, but Iowa's first snail mail rejection has arrived at someone's house.

oooohhhhhh I'm not ready to get mine T____T ? I foolishly had a sliver of hope that one of my recommenders being an IWWW alumn would help my chances a little bit, if my writing sample was up to par. I feel guilty saying that, though, because obviously I want to get in on my writing merits, and I don't want any unfair advantages, but that being said... I still hoped just a smidge... ?? (Hope that isn't unprofessional to say).

Ever since Marshall's last account Sally quoted the statistic about "80% of people not being good enough to even have any business applying to MFA programs" I can't help but wonder if I'm in that 80%. Not that there is necessarily any truth ot that statistic, and it was rude of them to bring up, but now I can't stop thinking about it. Cue.... my insecurities!!!

1 minute ago, Cristie said:

SHHHHH.....lol. Yes McNeese. I bought one of the instructor's books and read it. LOVED. I just don't get why all these other schools don't do that too. I haven't heard from them yet or seen on here if anyone else has. Clearly...you did YOUR homework too ha ha.

Cristie

You’re right. There should be a dual option offered at more places. I think McNeese is a tough nut to crack and pretty competitive. I did a fair amount of research into places before applying. I sent an app into McNeese bc it’s free and on the off chance I got in, I’d probably decline bc of relocating hassles. But I liked the vibe of the place and I like Cajun food, so...

I haven’t heard from them either. Still waiting on 8 schools. 

14 minutes ago, tippybug said:

oooohhhhhh I'm not ready to get mine T____T ? I foolishly had a sliver of hope that one of my recommenders being an IWWW alumn would help my chances a little bit, if my writing sample was up to par. I feel guilty saying that, though, because obviously I want to get in on my writing merits, and I don't want any unfair advantages, but that being said... I still hoped just a smidge... ?? (Hope that isn't unprofessional to say).

Ever since Marshall's last account Sally quoted the statistic about "80% of people not being good enough to even have any business applying to MFA programs" I can't help but wonder if I'm in that 80%. Not that there is necessarily any truth ot that statistic, and it was rude of them to bring up, but now I can't stop thinking about it. Cue.... my insecurities!!!

I feel your pain!! I'm in a similar boat waiting to hear back from two schools' MFA in Writing decisions with hopes that I haven't already been rejected LOL. I've been hoping the fact that one of my recommenders and undergrad professors/mentors is an adjunct professor at Columbia as well as a Bard alum would make my application stand out, despite feeling guilty and hoping that my portfolio materials stand out on their own merit..

Time to try and distract myself from the soup of anxiety caused by waiting around for decisions to come out from the specific program departments I applied to.... rip  

Edited by mesab

1 minute ago, Boomer not Ok said:

You’re right. There should be a dual option offered at more places. I think McNeese is a tough nut to crack and pretty competitive. I did a fair amount of research into places before applying. I sent an app into McNeese bc it’s free and on the off chance I got in, I’d probably decline bc of relocating hassles. But I liked the vibe of the place and I like Cajun food, so...

I haven’t heard from them either. Still waiting on 8 schools. 

I'd have to relocate too but I'm not far from there (in Arkansas). This may sound dumb but I didn't love the idea of a "Concrete College" and parking hassles. McNeese has a very pretty campus, lots of old trees. And yes, the food is a big plus but the cost of living is so much better than some of these other places. There are the hurricanes though... If you hear from them would you please let me know, that's my #1 Choice. I did hear "tough nut to crack" also. 

Many thanks, 

Cristie

I'd have to relocate too but I'm not far from there (in Arkansas). This may sound dumb but I didn't love the idea of a "Concrete College" and parking hassles. McNeese has a very pretty campus, lots of old trees. And yes, the food is a big plus but the cost of living is so much better than some of these other places. There are the hurricanes though... If you hear from them would you please let me know, that's my #1 Choice. I did hear "tough nut to crack" also. 

Many thanks, 

Cristie

Yes, if I hear from them, I’ll holler. I’m in the northeast. We get the occasional hurricane. We also get polar vortex freezes, blizzards, and howling nor’easters!!!

Yes, if I hear from them, I’ll holler. I’m in the northeast. We get the occasional hurricane. We also get polar vortex freezes, blizzards, and howling nor’easters!!!

Yeah, when I got rejected by (like the ONLY northern school I applied to) I consoled myself with, well, THAT Wind...would have sucked, but hey, y'all have HOCKEY up there and we just eat, sleep, breathe football down here (Woo Pig Sooie). I will say it was THE nicest rejection letter ever-followed up by a very personal email about my work, and they asked me to apply again with a waived fee next round. I'm not sure if that's normal? 

54 minutes ago, Cristie said:

Cristie

Are you referring to UAF? I noticed that was an option there, and found it really cool. Still anxiously awaiting a response from them (just the MFA for me).

Yeah, when I got rejected by (like the ONLY northern school I applied to) I consoled myself with, well, THAT Wind...would have sucked, but hey, y'all have HOCKEY up there and we just eat, sleep, breathe football down here (Woo Pig Sooie). I will say it was THE nicest rejection letter ever-followed up by a very personal email about my work, and they asked me to apply again with a waived fee next round. I'm not sure if that's normal? 

Definitely does not sound like a normal  rejection letter. That’s really classy. Beats my UMASS rejection which laconically stated “Application Denied.” ? 

l

Definitely does not sound like a normal  rejection letter. That’s really classy. Beats my UMASS rejection which laconically stated “Application Denied.” ? 

l

Oh damn. That is COLD.

1 minute ago, NLake said:

Are you referring to UAF? I noticed that was an option there, and found it really cool. Still anxiously awaiting a response from them (just the MFA for me).

UAF? (Fairbanks?)