2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

46 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

I saw that on Draft. Really big blunder on their part. That's more than just marketing. It literally says "Prepare for your arrival Autumn 2021." Can't believe they would send that out to people.

The Syracuse email I got was like this also. It literally says: "If you have arrived for the start of classes or are planning for the year ahead, here are helpful tips for making a smooth transition to Syracuse," and it then goes on to talk about finding housing and such. 

Hey all! Lurker on this thread for the last few days as my impatience grows. I received my first rejection from Northwestern last week but haven't received any info from my other programs.

I applied to UCIrvine, UCDavis, Mills, UMich, Brown, Boston U, and CCA San Fransisco (poetry focus). Anyone receive any word from any of the schools above?

I'm 24 and a first time applicant who is on month 11 of unemployment so the grad school app/job app anxiety has definitely been getting to me a little more this week. It's been a long year for all of us, I'm sure. My partner and I have both been on the edges of our seats waiting for the responses to start coming in! Sending love and good energy to all.

Edited by Phoebe R

27 minutes ago, Phoebe R said:

Hey all! Lurker on this thread for the last few days as my impatience grows. I received my first rejection from Northwestern last week but haven't received any info from my other programs.

I applied to UCIrvine, UCDavis, Mills, UMich, Brown, Boston U, and CCA San Fransisco (poetry focus). Anyone receive any word from any of the schools above?

I'm 24 and a first time applicant who is on month 11 of unemployment so the grad school app/job app anxiety has definitely been getting to me a little more this week. It's been a long year for all of us, I'm sure. My partner and I have both been on the edges of our seats waiting for the responses to start coming in! Sending love and good energy to all.

You heard back from Northwestern! I haven't heard anything from them at all. Did you apply for nonfiction or poetry?

26 minutes ago, Phoebe R said:

I received my first rejection from Northwestern last week but haven't received any info from my other programs.

Hi! I am very similar to you in that I am 22 and on month 11 of unemployment as well. (First time applicant for poetry also!) Did you apply to the Northwestern Litowitz program for poetry? I haven't heard anything from them and I'm going certifiably insane. Also I am now really overthinking about what "mid-February" means...

3 minutes ago, succulent.aloe said:

You heard back from Northwestern! I haven't heard anything from them at all. Did you apply for nonfiction or poetry?

So I didn't get an email from them (poetry) but I checked my application status on the portal and it said denied/rejected. 

3 minutes ago, aa2427 said:

Hi! I am very similar to you in that I am 22 and on month 11 of unemployment as well. (First time applicant for poetry also!) Did you apply to the Northwestern Litowitz program for poetry? I haven't heard anything from them and I'm going certifiably insane. Also I am now really overthinking about what "mid-February" means...

Solidarity, my friend! I applied to the Litowitz program for poetry, yep, but I actually never got an email from them, just checked the status on the portal and saw it got denied. 

2 hours ago, Phoebe R said:

Solidarity, my friend! I applied to the Litowitz program for poetry, yep, but I actually never got an email from them, just checked the status on the portal and saw it got denied. 

Eek! How did you check the status? I just logged into the portal and don't see any information other than "submitted." 

32 minutes ago, KZK said:

Eek! How did you check the status? I just logged into the portal and don't see any information other than "submitted." 

If there's nothing there, then I'd say keep strong and wait it out! This is what it looks like for me on my portal. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 3.38.59 PM.png

Edited by Phoebe R

freaking out y'all - i just got an email that i'm in for CNF at USF with a GA offer (I think they offer that to all accepted students but not sure). i've really been through it these last few months - thank you to everyone here for being so supportive and helpful ❤️❤️❤️ 

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm here wondering about whether the phrasing of the status updates are indicative of anything at all. For schools like Brown and UMich, my status just says 'Submitted' and for others, like Iowa and Maryland, there's 'In Progress' and 'Under Program Review' or some other variation. 

Does 'Submitted' literally mean that the application hasn't progressed beyond Admissions, or does 'Submitted' cover the movement of an application from Admissions to the Program to the moment the applicant finally gets the call? 

32 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said:

freaking out y'all - i just got an email that i'm in for CNF at USF with a GA offer (I think they offer that to all accepted students but not sure). i've really been through it these last few months - thank you to everyone here for being so supportive and helpful ❤️❤️❤️ 

Congratulations! They are lucky to have someone as talented as you.

27 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm here wondering about whether the phrasing of the status updates are indicative of anything at all. For schools like Brown and UMich, my status just says 'Submitted' and for others, like Iowa and Maryland, there's 'In Progress' and 'Under Program Review' or some other variation. 

Does 'Submitted' literally mean that the application hasn't progressed beyond Admissions, or does 'Submitted' cover the movement of an application from Admissions to the Program to the moment the applicant finally gets the call? 

For what it's worth, I just came here to ask a question based on an update (?) to my Brown application... (I'm a first-time applicant so I'm very sorry if this is a big-time newbie question!) Mine says submitted still, but underneath the "View Checklist" button, it lists my application status as "complete" as of 02/11/2021...there's no other update, but I'm just wondering how much I should be losing my mind right now or if this is a standard thing? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.22.15 PM.png

Edited by arden

6 minutes ago, arden said:

Mine says submitted still, but underneath the "View Checklist" button, it lists my application status as "complete" as of 02/11/2021...there's no other update, but I'm just wondering how much I should be losing my mind right now or if this is a standard thing? 

Mine says this as well, but it was completed on December 7th...feels like an odd discrepancy 

Just now, aa2427 said:

Mine says this as well, but it was completed on December 7th...feels like an odd discrepancy 

That is odd.. ?   Can I ask when you submitted your application? I submitted mine December 11, so maybe a bit late in the game? 

1 minute ago, arden said:

That is odd.. ?   Can I ask when you submitted your application? I submitted mine December 11, so maybe a bit late in the game? 

I submitted all of mine for every school on December 1st, so maybe they just wanted to toss it into the pile as soon as possible ? 

7 minutes ago, aa2427 said:

I submitted all of mine for every school on December 1st, so maybe they just wanted to toss it into the pile as soon as possible ? 

I'm going to be a total hypocrite, but this makes me think all the more that we should try not to read into it, then! Especially if Brown typically sends out decisions in March, which is what I've gathered from the results page...maybe the later date on mine just indicates there being a lag due to volume this year? 

Wishing you all the best with this and all of your apps ?

3 minutes ago, arden said:

I'm going to be a total hypocrite, but this makes me think all the more that we should try not to read into it, then! Especially if Brown typically sends out decisions in March, which is what I've gathered from the results page...maybe the later date on mine just indicates there being a lag due to volume this year? 

Wishing you all the best with this and all of your apps ?

I think so too! I am a nervous first time applicant too, and this definitely is getting worse because I haven't heard back from anywhere yet. They're probably just as overwhelmed as we are anxious. Wishing you luck as well!