2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, rcsteel said:

Ah, that's terrifying. How does one get into draft? I've been trying for the last couple of weeks.

It took them like three weeks to accept my application. They have only have one or two people handling people who request to join, so it takes a while.

On Rutgers: someone said that portals have been updated, and to check there. 

On Rutgers Camden, my portal says "no decision." But since I never got called for an interview, I think I'm out. I do not know for sure, but I suspect if they call you, you are on their short list and so you'll either get an offer or waitlist. On the other hand, I am not sure of their funding situation (I think someone indicated they got a partial-funded offer), so things may be different this year, because it's likely people who make their shortlist will also probably get fully-funded offers from other programs, so Rutgers may be doing it differently this time. Wish I could be more helpful.

43 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

It took them like three weeks to accept my application. They have only have one or two people handling people who request to join, so it takes a while.

On Rutgers: someone said that portals have been updated, and to check there. 

I did see that on Draft, which makes me lose a little bit of hope. Ah well

1 minute ago, Boomer not Ok said:

On Rutgers Camden, my portal says "no decision." But since I never got called for an interview, I think I'm out. I do not know for sure, but I suspect if they call you, you are on their short list and so you'll either get an offer or waitlist. On the other hand, I am not sure of their funding situation (I think someone indicated they got a partial-funded offer), so things may be different this year, because it's likely people who make their shortlist will also probably get fully-funded offers from other programs, so Rutgers may be doing it differently this time. Wish I could be more helpful.

That's very helpful, thank you! I didn't even realize they did interviews lol

4 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Mine also says no decision. I’m thinking the same. 

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to look for the answer on Draft as well, but do we know how many schools/which ones require interviews first..? Is it a standard practice for most of them, or does it vary quite a lot? 

2 hours ago, arden said:

For what it's worth, I just came here to ask a question based on an update (?) to my Brown application... (I'm a first-time applicant so I'm very sorry if this is a big-time newbie question!) Mine says submitted still, but underneath the "View Checklist" button, it lists my application status as "complete" as of 02/11/2021...there's no other update, but I'm just wondering how much I should be losing my mind right now or if this is a standard thing? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 4.22.15 PM.png

Huh, mine says completed 2/15. Which is new. (I think it previously said something like "successfully submitted 12/11" or whenever it was.) So perhaps they are wrapping things up? Best not to overanalyze...

Edited by Downtozero
Lol never mind guys I need to go to bed, mine says completed 12/15. I stg that was a 2 when I looked at it a minute ago

10 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

Huh, mine says completed 2/15. Which is new. (I think it previously said something like "successfully submitted 12/11" or whenever it was.) So perhaps they are wrapping things up? Best not to overanalyze...

Definitely a little scary to me that mine was completed before apps were even due. I hope thats just a flaw of the system and not a revelation that mine was tossed out immediately ?

4 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

See my edit !

now I'm trying hard not to overthink why mine would be so late...but, I'm going to stick with my previous answer and hope with everything in me (for all of us!!) that it's just a clerical thing and doesn't have any bearing on where they're at in the decision process right now ?

Edited by arden

1 hour ago, succulent.aloe said:

Could it be that that’s when your transcripts, letters of rec, scores, and other materials were all in? 

It could be, though admittedly I'd be confused if mine were only just officially in since I / my recommenders sent them all in by December 11...but, it could just all take a while to process / to be reflected in the portal!

Sorry if I contributed to anyone else's overthinking... ?  I just wish I could fast forward to April so I'd at least know. I knew this was going to be hard, but dang... 

12 minutes ago, arden said:

It could be, though admittedly I'd be confused if mine were only just officially in since I / my recommenders sent them all in by December 11...but, it could just all take a while to process / to be reflected in the portal!

Sorry if I contributed to anyone else's overthinking... ?  I just wish I could fast forward to April so I'd at least know. I knew this was going to be hard, but dang... 

Hey, it's okay! I think everyone on here, including myself, is overthinking and stressing about some application detail or other. For what it's worth, I'm also guessing it was a processing delay. Mine says it was completed December 7th--there's no way they reviewed and rejected me that quickly. Hope that gives you a little piece of mind!  

2 hours ago, dillydally17 said:

Hey anyone here applying to Hunter? I logged into my portal and see that it still shows application as "submitted" (I expected it to show "Forwarded to the Department for Review" like for my other applications that use that same application system) If there are any Hunter applicants here, what are you seeing? 

Mine says that too.

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while but decided to make an account and introduce myself. I applied to six programs in poetry: Syracuse, Cornell, Hopkins, Iowa, UVA, VCU. Wishing all of you tremendous luck and success and resiliency!

And seriously, what moved me to make this account was to say some version of:

2 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Take a deep breath! I say this with nothing but compassion, because I am an anxious overthinker, and I get it, but I've also worked in higher ed admin and none of these things - the marketing email, the particular wording of the portal status - mean anything. I too am desperate for any info right now. But the only things that actually mean something are personal responses from the school.

We're in the midst of historic snow here in the south. Thankfully the historic cold is abating some. Hope you all are staying warm and finding healthy ways to stay busy through the waiting!

On 2/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, sylviaplate said:

I only name-checked a prof. at one school (Khadijah Queen at CU Boulder) - I figure they can spot a suck-up pretty easily, so if I couldn't honestly say that a professor had a big impact on me or sparked my curiosity, I left it out. (Not a dig on any professors at the programs to which I applied, but rather I've only read their writing that's available for free online and can't speak to their wider body of work). 

howdy. i'm way behind on this thread and will delete if someone else mentioned this, but Khadijah is headed to Virginia Tech next year.

edit: caught up now. gonna leave this so that VT folks know she's headed there! it was announced on January 11. 

Edited by forthetruththeyburnyou
read the thread and got caught up

3 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Mine says that too.

Chilllll.

Thank you for this. It's a really, really useful reminder.

We won't know until we know, and there's no way to know until something actually happens.

It's the worst! But that's just how it is!

2 hours ago, forthetruththeyburnyou said:

howdy. i'm way behind on this thread and will delete if someone else mentioned this, but Khadijah is headed to Virginia Tech next year.

edit: caught up now. gonna leave this so that VT folks know she's headed there! it was announced on January 11. 

Someone did mention she was leaving. And to think I was *this* close to applying to VT! Always go with your gut, I suppose. Premature congrats to any future VT poets who get to work with her!

Editing to say I'm glad the announcement came after I submitted my app - at the very least, I don't look like I didn't do my research.

Edited by sylviaplate
add to answer