Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
12 minutes ago, arden said:

It could be, though admittedly I'd be confused if mine were only just officially in since I / my recommenders sent them all in by December 11...but, it could just all take a while to process / to be reflected in the portal!

Sorry if I contributed to anyone else's overthinking... ?  I just wish I could fast forward to April so I'd at least know. I knew this was going to be hard, but dang... 

Hey, it's okay! I think everyone on here, including myself, is overthinking and stressing about some application detail or other. For what it's worth, I'm also guessing it was a processing delay. Mine says it was completed December 7th--there's no way they reviewed and rejected me that quickly. Hope that gives you a little piece of mind!  

Posted

Hey anyone here applying to Hunter? I logged into my portal and see that it still shows application as "submitted" (I expected it to show "Forwarded to the Department for Review" like for my other applications that use that same application system) If there are any Hunter applicants here, what are you seeing? 

Posted
2 hours ago, dillydally17 said:

Hey anyone here applying to Hunter? I logged into my portal and see that it still shows application as "submitted" (I expected it to show "Forwarded to the Department for Review" like for my other applications that use that same application system) If there are any Hunter applicants here, what are you seeing? 

Mine says that too.

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Posted

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while but decided to make an account and introduce myself. I applied to six programs in poetry: Syracuse, Cornell, Hopkins, Iowa, UVA, VCU. Wishing all of you tremendous luck and success and resiliency!

And seriously, what moved me to make this account was to say some version of:

2 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Take a deep breath! I say this with nothing but compassion, because I am an anxious overthinker, and I get it, but I've also worked in higher ed admin and none of these things - the marketing email, the particular wording of the portal status - mean anything. I too am desperate for any info right now. But the only things that actually mean something are personal responses from the school.

We're in the midst of historic snow here in the south. Thankfully the historic cold is abating some. Hope you all are staying warm and finding healthy ways to stay busy through the waiting!

Posted (edited)
On 2/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, sylviaplate said:

I only name-checked a prof. at one school (Khadijah Queen at CU Boulder) - I figure they can spot a suck-up pretty easily, so if I couldn't honestly say that a professor had a big impact on me or sparked my curiosity, I left it out. (Not a dig on any professors at the programs to which I applied, but rather I've only read their writing that's available for free online and can't speak to their wider body of work). 

 

howdy. i'm way behind on this thread and will delete if someone else mentioned this, but Khadijah is headed to Virginia Tech next year.

 

edit: caught up now. gonna leave this so that VT folks know she's headed there! it was announced on January 11. 

 

Edited by forthetruththeyburnyou
read the thread and got caught up
Posted
3 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Mine says that too.

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Thank you for this. It's a really, really useful reminder.

We won't know until we know, and there's no way to know until something actually happens.

It's the worst! But that's just how it is!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, forthetruththeyburnyou said:

howdy. i'm way behind on this thread and will delete if someone else mentioned this, but Khadijah is headed to Virginia Tech next year.

 

edit: caught up now. gonna leave this so that VT folks know she's headed there! it was announced on January 11. 

 

 

Someone did mention she was leaving. And to think I was *this* close to applying to VT! Always go with your gut, I suppose. Premature congrats to any future VT poets who get to work with her!

Editing to say I'm glad the announcement came after I submitted my app - at the very least, I don't look like I didn't do my research.

Edited by sylviaplate
add to answer
Posted
3 hours ago, kraftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy said:
5 hours ago, Downtozero said:

Look, I've worked in higher ed admin before, my advice to everyone: Stop. Overanalyzing. Your portals.

And also: if someone got a random marketing email from a school that you didn't get, it does not mean that they made it past some inscrutable micro-round in the application cycle and you didn't. I've seen this worry expressed a couple times on Draft. 

Chilllll.

Take a deep breath! I say this with nothing but compassion, because I am an anxious overthinker, and I get it, but I've also worked in higher ed admin and none of these things - the marketing email, the particular wording of the portal status - mean anything. I too am desperate for any info right now. But the only things that actually mean something are personal responses from the school.

We're in the midst of historic snow here in the south. Thankfully the historic cold is abating some. Hope you all are staying warm and finding healthy ways to stay busy through the waiting!

Thank you, everybody! These are really helpful reminders. I think I started to spiral because my first rejection in this whole process was only through the portal, so I'm definitely giving them way too much power now. I really appreciate everyone's perspective.

I hope everyone is safe, warm, and giving themselves (more than) a little grace through the waiting. Take care of your hearts — and overthinking minds! 

To switch gears: what's everybody been reading lately? I'm wrapping up Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and—speaking of Khadijah Queen, who is just wonderful—finished Anodyne yesterday, which I highly recommend! 

Posted
13 minutes ago, sylviaplate said:

Someone did mention she was leaving. And to think I was *this* close to applying to VT! Always go with your gut, I suppose. Premature congrats to any future VT poets who get to work with her!

Editing to say I'm glad the announcement came after I submitted my app - at the very least, I don't look like I didn't do my research.

I applied to VT for poetry, hopefully I get in.

Posted
3 minutes ago, arden said:

Thank you, everybody! These are really helpful reminders. I think I started to spiral because my first rejection in this whole process was only through the portal, so I'm definitely giving them way too much power now. I really appreciate everyone's perspective.

I hope everyone is safe, warm, and giving themselves (more than) a little grace through the waiting. Take care of your hearts — and overthinking minds! 

To switch gears: what's everybody been reading lately? I'm wrapping up Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and—speaking of Khadijah Queen, who is just wonderful—finished Anodyne yesterday, which I highly recommend! 

Currently on Steinbeck's Cannery Row. Almost done with it, and then I'll probably move on to Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence.

Posted
36 minutes ago, arden said:

To switch gears: what's everybody been reading lately? I'm wrapping up Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day and—speaking of Khadijah Queen, who is just wonderful—finished Anodyne yesterday, which I highly recommend! 

I've been reading Don't Read Poetry because I find that craft books and litcrit help me recenter myself as a reader of poetry

I'm also on the millionth reread of Maggie Nelson's something bright, then holes (if there is such thing as a happy place, maybe there's a grief place too, a place you can go to express all of that sadness and angst-- something bright, then holes is that place for me). I have a few more poetry books on the shelf (Julie Carr's Real Life: An Installation beckons), but I'm trying to stop picking up more and more and more books

For non-fiction, I have Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules! opened, her storytelling and kindness make it feel like a warm mug of cocoa, or a hug. I started reading it about ten min after getting my UMass rejection and it's stayed close to me since

And for fiction, Dantiel Moniz (Draft alum!) just released Milk Blood Heat and I'm excited to devour it soon

books books books books booooooooooks :)

Posted

Guys, my soul left my body for a second. I got a big letter from SJCNY and thought: this is it. It came with a pamphlet, and I could see through the envelope that the writing program header was there.

...

It’s a letter thanking me for my interest in their program. The pamphlet told me more about their program, but I honestly thought it was an acceptance and got way too excited. T_T

Posted

Just received rejection from Northwestern for Nonfiction via email from the Assistant to the Graduate Program! Alas, that would have been a great program, but I'm glad my waiting game is over now.

I only applied to the one this year, kind of on a lark, but I'll work on my app more and apply to around 10 schools next year! Best of luck to everyone here. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Ydrl said:

Guys, my soul left my body for a second. I got a big letter from SJCNY and thought: this is it. It came with a pamphlet, and I could see through the envelope that the writing program header was there.

...

It’s a letter thanking me for my interest in their program. The pamphlet told me more about their program, but I honestly thought it was an acceptance and got way too excited. T_T

oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!! Getting a physical mail—a big envelope/package, at that!— just feels cruel ?  I hope you get the real deal soon ?

 

55 minutes ago, aheather said:

I've been reading Don't Read Poetry because I find that craft books and litcrit help me recenter myself as a reader of poetry

I'm also on the millionth reread of Maggie Nelson's something bright, then holes (if there is such thing as a happy place, maybe there's a grief place too, a place you can go to express all of that sadness and angst-- something bright, then holes is that place for me). I have a few more poetry books on the shelf (Julie Carr's Real Life: An Installation beckons), but I'm trying to stop picking up more and more and more books

For non-fiction, I have Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Knitting Rules! opened, her storytelling and kindness make it feel like a warm mug of cocoa, or a hug. I started reading it about ten min after getting my UMass rejection and it's stayed close to me since

And for fiction, Dantiel Moniz (Draft alum!) just released Milk Blood Heat and I'm excited to devour it soon

books books books books booooooooooks :)

what a great selection!! Do you have any recommendations for other craft/litcrit books? I feel similarly that it'd be helpful to recenter myself, and it's something I'm realizing I'm missing in the absence of craft classes recently. (I just graduated in December and it's been a real adjustment to try and settle into writing/reading routines outside of coursework!!) 

 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Guys, my soul left my body for a second. I got a big letter from SJCNY and thought: this is it. It came with a pamphlet, and I could see through the envelope that the writing program header was there.

...

It’s a letter thanking me for my interest in their program. The pamphlet told me more about their program, but I honestly thought it was an acceptance and got way too excited. T_T

Cruel. A big envelope is always (for undergrad, at least) a sure acceptance. My acceptance to UW literally said "The BIG Envelope" on it.

Posted
Just now, mrvisser said:

Cruel. A big envelope is always (for undergrad, at least) a sure acceptance. My acceptance to UW literally said "The BIG Envelope" on it.

IT SAID ON THE FRONT “Ready. Set. Joe’s”. WHYYYYYYYYY

Posted
12 minutes ago, arden said:

what a great selection!! Do you have any recommendations for other craft/litcrit books? I feel similarly that it'd be helpful to recenter myself, and it's something I'm realizing I'm missing in the absence of craft classes recently. (I just graduated in December and it's been a real adjustment to try and settle into writing/reading routines outside of coursework!!) 

 

Not addressed to me but i will always recommend Madness, Rack, and Honey by Mary Ruefle.

Also The Writing Life by Annie Dillard is very good.

Posted

Just got my rejection from Northwestern. I knew it was a longshot but it still stings to watch that door close. That brings me to 1a/2r/0w/6p. My remaining schools all tend to notify in March (Iowa, Hollins, Montana, New Mexico, and Rutgers-Camden, which has notified others but nothing for me yet). Also still waiting to hear on funding from George Mason (my one acceptance - it seems like many in draft have been offered funding already so I'm nervous). Blergh! This is the worst! 

Posted (edited)

just got my first rejection from northwestern! had messed up my sop a bit and lowkey despised one of my critical writing essays so i knew it wasn't going to be a positive response. appreciate the kind email, though! 

also, bad juju that i was listening to one of my "college rejection" playlists a few hours ago and received the rejection just now? i will be deleting that playlist now haha (edit: in my defense, it is a bangin playlist and i was feeling cinematic on a road trip dont @ me) 

time to play the waiting game again for a bajillion years (1r/5p)

Edited by babypoet2k
Posted
21 minutes ago, poefire said:

Not addressed to me but i will always recommend Madness, Rack, and Honey by Mary Ruefle.

Also The Writing Life by Annie Dillard is very good.

Yep, The Writing Life is excellent.

Posted

Your fav up and coming authors

Going into my first year of MFA school in the fall I want to be up to date with some up and coming  writers. Any recommendations? (This is coming from a lit major who spent too many years reading classics and needs to be refreshed) 

Preferred genres: horror, thriller, psychological, lgbt, fantasy (open to all)

Posted

I'm reading "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. It was the biggest novel I could find in the bookstore a few years back, and through all the stuff I've been through the past few years, I promised myself I would read that to honor my recommitment to my writing and my novel and my love for literature and books. I'm only on the first couple of pages, but it's great so far. :)

Posted

Hello! I am nervously awaiting the results like everyone! I made it to phase II for Ole Miss, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea/apprehension how many people are in phase II there? Sorry if this question has been asked elsewhere!

Posted
29 minutes ago, Ash... said:

Your fav up and coming authors

Going into my first year of MFA school in the fall I want to be up to date with some up and coming  writers. Any recommendations? (This is coming from a lit major who spent too many years reading classics and needs to be refreshed) 

Preferred genres: horror, thriller, psychological, lgbt, fantasy (open to all)

Not sure if she counts as "up and coming," but I just read Sleep Donation by Karen Russell and loved it! Some of my classmates were disappointed by the ending, but I loved the language and worldbuilding.

Posted

Wow, I'm at the edge of my seat reading through this forum. I've been lurking on here for the past couple of weeks. I may apply to the MFA in fiction next application cycle. Not sure yet. It's been eleven years since I've been to grad school (withdrew from a phd program, but walked out with an MA). Been taking some online creative writing classes because, you know, I need recommendation letters. Next application cycle may be just as crazy as this one, so I may not apply and just write my novel instead and avoid all the stress of academia. Looking forward to seeing where you all end up! ?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use