2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

3 hours ago, Akinade Olayinka said:

Congratulations, I also got accepted into the University of Texas, Dallas for my PhD program. Who knows when University of Texas, Dallas Makes funding decision?

Thanks!

I think you might be a bit lost thoughhttps://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/126462-2020-2021-application-thread/

Just now, largeheartedboy said:

Hooray! So happy for you!

Hope our paths cross should you move to NYC!

If this is the only school I get into, what borough would you be in? I’d be in Brooklyn (at least for school).

10 minutes ago, largeheartedboy said:

I am in Manhattan now, but moving to Brooklyn this summer.

Nice! If I go I’d at least know somebody (from the internet anyway). I know real estate in NYC in general is wild and goes very fast. Any tips?

I’m curious, to those of you that write in two genres, do you switch on and off, or just write each consistently?

It’s been over two years since I’ve written any short stories but I have some ideas I want to work on. I used to write short stories exclusively for over 10 years, but I tunneled in on poetry for the past two years. That may have been a mistake haha.

1 hour ago, Ydrl said:

Nice! If I go I’d at least know somebody (from the internet anyway). I know real estate in NYC in general is wild and goes very fast. Any tips?

I’ve only gotten into CCNY and most other schools I applied to are in NYC too. All of us who end up there should meet up when the time comes! Even at diff schools it’s nice to have some writing buddies. 

a few weeks ago I drove to nyc to drive around the campuses and get a feel. Rent is REALLY down rn I was finding nice apartments in Manhattan for $1400-$1800. Which is crazyyyy for that. But for some reason, Brooklyn was pricier (a first). I think there’s less empty apartments so it’s not as cheap anymore because of demand. My friends who live in NYC recommended the app StreetEasy it’s like Zillow but JUST for NYC apartments and it’s amazing!

Edited by Ash...

8 minutes ago, Ash... said:

I’ve only gotten into CCNY and most other schools I applied to are in NYC too. All of us who end up there should meet up when the time comes! Even at diff schools it’s nice to have some writing buddies. 

a few weeks ago I drove to nyc to drive around the campuses and get a feel. Rent is REALLY down rn I was finding nice apartments in Manhattan for $1400-$1800. Which is crazyyyy for that. But for some reason, Brooklyn was pricier (a first). I think there’s less empty apartments so it’s not as cheap anymore because of demand. My friends who live in NYC recommended the app StreetEasy it’s like Zillow but JUST for NYC apartments and it’s amazing!

Thanks for the tip! It’d be cool if a bunch of us end up in NYC.

27 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I’m curious, to those of you that write in two genres, do you switch on and off, or just write each consistently?

It’s been over two years since I’ve written any short stories but I have some ideas I want to work on. I used to write short stories exclusively for over 10 years, but I tunneled in on poetry for the past two years. That may have been a mistake haha.

I used to write poetry quite a lot, and a lot of my prose tends toward the poetic (rhythm, internal rhyme, metaphor, etc.) but it has been a few years since I set out to "write a poem". Lately, I've been doing 30 minute "free writes", just putting down words as they come into (out of? sometimes it's hard to tell which way it's going) my head. That process has given me a lot of raw material that might be better suited for poetry. I dunno!

I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus.

20 minutes ago, spacedumpster said:

I used to write poetry quite a lot, and a lot of my prose tends toward the poetic (rhythm, internal rhyme, metaphor, etc.) but it has been a few years since I set out to "write a poem". Lately, I've been doing 30 minute "free writes", just putting down words as they come into (out of? sometimes it's hard to tell which way it's going) my head. That process has given me a lot of raw material that might be better suited for poetry. I dunno!

I definitely like to get around with my writing. A couple months ago I started writing a script for an animated series, which has been really enjoyable! Screen/Teleplay is an awesome format to work in. I'm really aching to get into Michener, as screenwriting would be my secondary focus.

+1 Love this! Love that Michener offers fiction/screenwriting focus. That is also how I would split my time.

Also @spacedumpsterwant to hear more about your animated series. Sounds like a fun project!

Edited by CanadianKate

22 minutes ago, spacedumpster said:

6 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

+1 Love this! Love that Michener offers fiction/screenwriting focus. That is also how I would split my time.

On my application I said poetry and playwriting, but I’m really thinking of Poetry and Fiction now. Of course, the chances of getting into Michener are abysmal, so I think V Tech’s cross genre would be more realistic.

Still psyched about Tennessee, don't get me wrong -- but does it seem like there's a really large fiction waitlist to anyone else? i count seven on draft alone... And given the fact that they're only taking *two* fiction applicants for this cycle, i don't know... What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this?

1 hour ago, spacedumpster said:

I tend to let my prose get really purple at points, almost to the point of poetry, and then I usually insert something blunt and absurd to bring it back a bit.

I chose playwriting as my second at Michener, to try to recapture my old high-school theatre-class glory. I was so close to choosing screenwriting too, though. 

3 minutes ago, chrisclements said:

Still psyched about Tennessee, don't get me wrong -- but does it seem like there's a really large fiction waitlist to anyone else? i count seven on draft alone... And given the fact that they're only taking *two* fiction applicants for this cycle, i don't know... What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this?

First, I think you're right to feel good. Take the compliment

After that, I think you're also right to be thinking about the length of that waitlist. Most of my experience with admissions is in another discipline, but imo 7 waitlists for 2 spots is a lot. Did they let you know how high you are on the list? 

5 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

First, I think you're right to feel good. Take the compliment

After that, I think you're also right to be thinking about the length of that waitlist. Most of my experience with admissions is in another discipline, but imo 7 waitlists for 2 spots is a lot. Did they let you know how high you are on the list? 

No, I have no idea. they just mentioned the two spots thing. Kinda weird. 

1 minute ago, susweekly said:

Do we think Syracuse is going to notify today? It’s the only school I’ve ever applied to in the past, and they always notified in February. Once on the 15th, once on the 20th.

I have seen others saying that Syracuse is significantly delayed this year, but don't have a source for this beyond internet hearsay. Would be curious to know if anyone has more substantial info to back that up.

Edited by kraftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

here's what i've seen on draft re syracuse: somebody said that until last monday, the admissions committee hadn't yet met to discuss apps and had only been individually reading them. a current student said a couple days ago that as far as she knew, no decisions had been made yet. i personally don't think decisions are going to happen today or like,, THAT soon;. so yeah,

9 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

some pips and pops--and soon enough everything's gonna start cracking. We got this.

what they said ^

21 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

Because of the myriad things going on, I'm still expecting most stuff to be delayed till mid-march, but we're getting closer!
Almost to that popcorn point--we've heard some pips and pops--and soon enough everything's gonna start cracking. We got this.

This. I don't believe past notification data from this site is a reliable indicator for this year, and that most programs will be notifying at some point next month. 

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I love bushwick in brooklyn best! Cheaper apts, the J/Z/M and L trains are much more reliable, fast, and interesting to ride than other BK lines in my opinion, lots of really funny/quirky bars, cafes, and restaurants, and an interesting mixed demography. BK is where most of the cool indy pubs are located too (UDP, A Public Space, Litmus, and others), although they are mostly clustered around Gowanus/Park Slope, but those neighborhoods are kinda snooty and there are a lot of people pushing strollers. BUT there are more TREES there lol. And Prospect Park. Also great bookstores (greenlight, unnameable) with tons of little presses waiting to be discovered. Also Mcnally Jackson Books in Lower East Side is fuggin cool...

Edited by TshirtDome

On 2/18/2021 at 10:59 AM, tippybug said:

Certainly I will die if I have to wait that long!!

I'm sure they won't wait that long. That's just the very very latest they will send it out.

First of all YESSSS @Ydrl!

Also, at the risk of being that guy, any whisper news in Cornell? I have tried to keep this to myself, but it’s my top pick. I have believed until now that there wasn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that I might get in, but I’m starting to think I have a shot. 

Dying to hear from them, Iowa, and Michigan. ?