2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Don’t know if anyone else applied to Alabama in fiction, but I just got an email and I’m on the waitlist! So glad that my first (official) notification of the season was a good one after presumed rejections from WashU and Vandy. Keep your heads up! ?

Just now, funfettuccine said:

Don’t know if anyone else applied to Alabama in fiction, but I just got an email and I’m on the waitlist! So glad that my first (official) notification of the season was a good one after presumed rejections from WashU and Vandy. Keep your heads up! ?

Congrats!!!!

Just now, aheather said:

Oh absolutely. My UMass Amherst rejection was crushing because I just had this (unfounded) feeling that I was meant to be there. My other big one is UNLV. There are other programs I adore, programs that may be objectively better fits for me once I start looking at logistics more, but my heart has been with UMass and UNLV since the start.

I was also rejected by Amherst! It was a tough one for me. I haven't seen any numbers, but I wonder how many applied this year in poetry. It will be interesting to see how this year shapes up compared to previous years... would love to see actual numbers at some point! 

I don't even know which programs I'm most anxious to hear back from at this point because I've somehow trained myself to be impartial...  Getting waitlisted at one of my schools gives me hope, but I'm trying to go about my life as though I'm not waiting. When things got difficult and I found myself obsessing, I took a break from this forum and started leaving my phone in another room haha. It's been great for my writing practice at least!

One thing that gives me hope is that two of my poems are going to be published in a top 30 publication this summer, and I'm hoping that's a good sign. Even if I don't get in anywhere, it's nice to know that someone appreciated my work enough to include it. I'm even getting paid! *gasp*  Basically unheard of in the poetry world.  I really hope one adcom sees what this editor saw in my poems 

18 minutes ago, NLake said:

I’m glad to see folx getting some love today! Congratulations to all of you, and good luck to those still waiting on answers. 

I’m wondering if anyone else in this community applied to UAF. If so, anyone know anything about their timeline? I got an email at the beginning of February that my (perhaps all) application had been sent to the department for review, but nothing since. Not surprised by that, but I feel like I see less info rolling around about this program than any of the others I applied to. Again, not surprised, as I don’t imagine many folx are keen on living Yukon adjacent. ?

I am! I haven’t heard anything yet but will post if I do!

Waitlisted at Oregon State University!

The waitlist email truly couldn't have been kinder, and now I'm in the nicest back and forth with one of the professors. I'm hoping beyond all words that other poets accepted to OSU get into their dream programs with all the funding they could ever wish, leaving me an open slot so I can go live in Corvallis like my little Oregonian heart desires

2 minutes ago, aheather said:

Waitlisted at Oregon State University!

The waitlist email truly couldn't have been kinder, and now I'm in the nicest back and forth with one of the professors. I'm hoping beyond all words that other poets accepted to OSU get into their dream programs with all the funding they could ever wish, leaving me an open slot so I can go live in Corvallis like my little Oregonian heart desires

Congrats!!! I hope you get to live out all your Oregonian dreams and write till the cows come home. :D

2 minutes ago, teasel said:

I was also rejected by Amherst! It was a tough one for me. I haven't seen any numbers, but I wonder how many applied this year in poetry.

yeah -- Ocean Vuong seems to be the most widely loved writer in America (or at least on twitter) atm, and you have to assume that his (still newish, I think?) star power drove numbers way up for them. That in addition to the general surge in number of applicants, attributable to our being in a depression lol

5 hours ago, Ydrl said:

I’m curious, to those of you that write in two genres, do you switch on and off, or just write each consistently?

It’s been over two years since I’ve written any short stories but I have some ideas I want to work on. I used to write short stories exclusively for over 10 years, but I tunneled in on poetry for the past two years. That may have been a mistake haha.

It often happens to me that I'll try to write a short story, get a bit stuck on it, and then try to work out some of the kinks in the ideas as poems, or vice versa (I tend to write narrative poems). I've gotten to some of my strongest pieces in both genres by pendulumming that way. They definitely feel like they serve each other, though once I get to a happy place with a piece I would usually rather burn the other version of it than ever share it ? 

(Also, congrats to you on your acceptance, and to everyone else with acceptances today!!)

Edited by anamcara

59 minutes ago, pattycat said:

2 CNF and 1 Fiction on gradcafe and same in Draft.

hey y'all new user here!! did the people who said they heard back from nyu give any more details? i haven't been able to sign in to draft, so I'm just curious! do you think nyu will send out the rejections on the same day that they send out the acceptances? wondering if the fact i haven't heard anything means an automatic rejection....

3 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

hey y'all new user here!! did the people who said they heard back from nyu give any more details? i haven't been able to sign in to draft, so I'm just curious! do you think nyu will send out the rejections on the same day that they send out the acceptances? wondering if the fact i haven't heard anything means an automatic rejection....

Rejections won't be until later. Also, it looks like last year's waitlist notifications came a few weeks after acceptances so definitely don't call it a rejection yet!

5 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

the two most prominent offers i saw on draft were fully funded ones. going off that, chances are they're making fully funded offers first. it's wayyy too early in the game for this to be an automatic rejection, i think. hang in there! 

also, if you wish, you can check the results page from previous years to see if acceptances/rejections go out on the same day or just how spread out they are. 

10 minutes ago, babypoet2k said:

the two most prominent offers i saw on draft were fully funded ones. going off that, chances are they're making fully funded offers first. it's wayyy too early in the game for this to be an automatic rejection, i think. hang in there! 

also, if you wish, you can check the results page from previous years to see if acceptances/rejections go out on the same day or just how spread out they are. 

could you possibly link me to the results page ?

15 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

could you possibly link me to the results page ?

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=creative+writing

I think NYU is just notifying VIPs with fellowships today. It's a relatively large program with not a huge amount of funding so I'm sure the rest of the cohort will get notified in the next couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, DeepSyntax said:

I think NYU is just notifying VIPs with fellowships today. It's a relatively large program with not a huge amount of funding so I'm sure the rest of the cohort will get notified in the next couple of weeks.

thank you so much!!! i rly appreciate it

2 minutes ago, zest said:

Do you have any tips for applying next year? How much do they charge when they give 75% off?

Apply early. The earlier you apply the faster they’ll get to you. I got my decision 12 days after I applied.

It’s still a pricey college, but I don’t know anything about work study, scholarships, GA-ships or anything like that.

1 hour ago, DeepSyntax said:

Thank you! I sure hope this is the case. 
though without a full fellowship, affording it is another story...  But not ready to call it a rejection yet!