2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

3 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

time to overanalyze my portal hehe, does anyone who's applying to nyu have a UID assigned (in addition to the application ref id)? i have one on my portal and i feel like that's new? 

I have one as well. Not sure if it is new, though.

Vanderbilt for me as well. You know, I genuinely don't say this with sore feelings, but I hope they revise their form letter in future to be a little more... warm/human. There are letters which acknowledge how tough/impossible this process is and I really admire programs which take the time to get that wording right. Saying "our review of your application and credentials did not lead to a recommendation of admission," is fine (if sterile), but it doesn't acknowledge the fact that space in the program often has as much to do with rejections as the quality of an applicant's work. Also, "credentials" is a poor word choice for any MFA program admissions document... Anyway... Just ruminating...

6 minutes ago, fishfish24 said:

Vanderbilt for me as well. You know, I genuinely don't say this with sore feelings, but I hope they revise their form letter in future to be a little more... warm/human. There are letters which acknowledge how tough/impossible this process is and I really admire programs which take the time to get that wording right. Saying "our review of your application and credentials did not lead to a recommendation of admission," is fine (if sterile), but it doesn't acknowledge the fact that space in the program often has as much to do with rejections as the quality of an applicant's work. Also, "credentials" is a poor word choice for any MFA program admissions document... Anyway... Just ruminating...

I feel the same way. 

56 minutes ago, zest said:

I also just got rejected from vandy, and I can't understand why you care about the wording. If you are not marked to write, the earlier the notice the better. And if marked to write, the more early rejection, the greater share of honor.

My instincts were right!! Marshall, how you doin', babes? 

14 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

My instincts were right!! Marshall, how you doin', babes? 

im starting to think marshall is, like, a really long-con performance art piece. theres no way anyone is that obtuse and malevolent. right?

7 hours ago, teasel said:

One thing that gives me hope is that two of my poems are going to be published in a top 30 publication this summer, and I'm hoping that's a good sign. Even if I don't get in anywhere, it's nice to know that someone appreciated my work enough to include it. I'm even getting paid! *gasp*  Basically unheard of in the poetry world.  I really hope one adcom sees what this editor saw in my poems 

That's great news and a wonderful accomplishment. The fact that your work went through a multiple vetting process (from initial reader to editor approval) and you are receiving payment means a lot. Well done.

42 minutes ago, bettedavisthighs said:

im starting to think marshall is, like, a really long-con performance art piece. theres no way anyone is that obtuse and malevolent. right?

I'm not sure it's malevolence as much as nefarious boredom. Ah well. 

9 hours ago, eternalwhitenights said:

I'm not sure it's malevolence as much as nefarious boredom. Ah well. 

Tbh I think it’s boredom. There wasn’t anyone like this in the 2019 or 2020 season. Now the pandemic hit and suddenly we have a troll with infinite faces.

Also I like your new profile picture.

12 hours ago, zest said:

I also just got rejected from vandy, and I can't understand why you care about the wording. If you are not marked to write, the earlier the notice the better. And if marked to write, the more early rejection, the greater share of honor.

Not this response at ALL -

But I also agree with the sentiment that form letters are form letters. It actually really annoys me to get form letters from lit magazines that are absurdly long and pretend to be genuine.

Giving specific feedback would be useful, but I write corporate drivel for a living. I know how to write sappy, well-meaning form communication. It does not mean I, or the corporations I write for, care a single bit. 

I can’t stand disingenuous rejection. I do not need a 3 page email about how difficult everything is for everyone and how lovely you find the moon in Autumn (that you’ve sent to 500 other people). Just say “no thanks”. Much more honest. 

Alternatively, I’ve had “we love your work so much” conversations in recent days with people who can’t get my name right and clearly don’t remember my writing sample. I don’t like having any kind of smoke blown into my nethers.

3 minutes ago, JPReinhold said:

I don’t like having any kind of smoke blown into my nethers.

I’ve never heard this phrase before and got so confused and flustered hahahahaha. It takes a lot to fluster me, and you managed it. Congratulations???

2 hours ago, JPReinhold said:

Not this response at ALL -

But I also agree with the sentiment that form letters are form letters. It actually really annoys me to get form letters from lit magazines that are absurdly long and pretend to be genuine.

Giving specific feedback would be useful, but I write corporate drivel for a living. I know how to write sappy, well-meaning form communication. It does not mean I, or the corporations I write for, care a single bit. 

I can’t stand disingenuous rejection. I do not need a 3 page email about how difficult everything is for everyone and how lovely you find the moon in Autumn (that you’ve sent to 500 other people). Just say “no thanks”. Much more honest. 

Alternatively, I’ve had “we love your work so much” conversations in recent days with people who can’t get my name right and clearly don’t remember my writing sample. I don’t like having any kind of smoke blown into my nethers.

I agree with you. I also write drivel for a living so maybe that feeling comes with the territory.

Hi Everyone. New person here. I have a few (unrelated) questions. But let me first offer my empathetic condolences to those who received rejections from Vanderbilt and/or WashU yesterday. I am sorry for you. And with you. The double rejections made for a very anti-Friday.

Anyway: those of you who mentioned earlier that you'd advanced to Phase 2 at Ole Miss...have you heard anything since? I also advanced (Feb 9th) but have heard nothing since. Is this typical? This part-way success is purgatory and purgatory is a quiet and lonesome place.

AND...did anyone else (who there applied) receive an email from Miami Ohio yesterday saying "Congratulations! Your graduate application is now complete"? My application has been complete since October so the "Congratulations!" made for a bit of a heart-stopping tease.    

Fingers crossed, everyone. Fingers crossed forever.

11 minutes ago, sunglikeice said:

Hi Everyone. New person here. I have a few (unrelated) questions. But let me first offer my empathetic condolences to those who received rejections from Vanderbilt and/or WashU yesterday. I am sorry for you. And with you. The double rejections made for a very anti-Friday.

Anyway: those of you who mentioned earlier that you'd advanced to Phase 2 at Ole Miss...have you heard anything since? I also advanced (Feb 9th) but have heard nothing since. Is this typical? This part-way success is purgatory and purgatory is a quiet and lonesome place.

AND...did anyone else (who there applied) receive an email from Miami Ohio yesterday saying "Congratulations! Your graduate application is now complete"? My application has been complete since October so the "Congratulations!" made for a bit of a heart-stopping tease.    

I also got to Phase 2 and haven't heard anything else, other than automated responses when my recommenders upload a letter. Looking at years past, it seems like they make final decisions in late feb/early March?

Edited by Downtozero

2 minutes ago, Downtozero said:

I also got to Phase 2 and haven't heard anything else, other than automated responses when my recommended upload a letter. Looking at years past, it seems like they make final decisions in late feb/early March?

Ah, I see. Me too.  Good to know. Thanks for the reassuring reply. 

3 hours ago, JPReinhold said:

But I also agree with the sentiment that form letters are form letters.

I agree. I will say that I appreciate a little note or something when warranted, but only because that might be a sign that you were at least in contention at whatever school or lit mag ended up rejecting you. that can be useful info. If you're submitting something that's regularly getting little personal rejects from places that generally send form letters, for example, I think that can be a sign that you're close and should continue revising

I agree though, again, that "personal" form letters are generally irritating and a tiny bit offensive 

15 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

I agree. I will say that I appreciate a little note or something when warranted, but only because that might be a sign that you were at least in contention at whatever school or lit mag ended up rejecting you. that can be useful info. If you're submitting something that's regularly getting little personal rejects from places that generally send form letters, for example, I think that can be a sign that you're close and should continue revising

I agree though, again, that "personal" form letters are generally irritating and a tiny bit offensive 

Yep. They get so many applicants, and I don't need feel they are obliged to be nice about it, just professional. Also, I just want them to get to the point and tell me I didn't make it. I just need the information so I can move forward with my plans.

43 minutes ago, sunglikeice said:

I got my Miami acceptance at the end of January, and they have been sending out emails to the cohort to plan for new grad student welcome/information meetings next week. Based on that, I assume they have sent out all their acceptances, so definitely check your portal to see if they’ve got anything new on your app status! I’m new to this process so I have no idea if they do this all at once or in waves. 

Good luck to you! 

Here's a short story for yinz: 

A guy tried to mug me for my bike on the front steps of my apartment last night. Guy kept saying he'd break my fingers if I didn't let go of it, but with some effort I fought him off and ran inside, slamming the door behind me. Got upstairs and into my room, where I then received an email from Vanderbilt. 0a/2r/5p. All of a sudden flooded with the feeling of, "Aw heck, come back and take the bike. What do I care?"

Unbroken fingers crossed for the rest of them, though—best of luck to everyone!