2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

2 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Between the weather and the holiday, should we expect to hear anything today?

I'm curious how many of us are first time applicants. Also, what's everyone's living situation (married, kids, etc)? I will be moving for grad school at the same time BOTH of my kids will be entering their freshman year of college. It's extra scary, and the logistics are a big headache already. However, grad school should be an excellent remedy for empty nest syndrome. 

Wow. This makes me a little less nervous. I am a first-time applicant. I am 41. and no marriage, no kids. It is quite scary for me as well. 

1 hour ago, mrvisser said:

Someone on Draft said they were on the phone with Iowa admissions for something and they were told that Iowa wouldn't be sending out acceptances until mid-March because of COVID.

Oh my gosh.... Wow. Another month.

13 minutes ago, CanadianKate said:

Oh my gosh.... Wow. Another month.

Seriously. If I get into another program, great, but I don't want to be waiting that long for a final nail in the coffin.

Hey y'all! I'm just discovering this forum and wishing I'd found it sooner. Here to celebrate and commiserate as admissions decisions trickle in. I applied in creative nonfiction to ten schools. So far I've heard from UMass (rejected) and Idaho (waitlisted). This is my first time applying and I'm trying to keep my expectations low! My fingers are crossed for everyone here : ) 

1 hour ago, cecsav said:

I'm curious how many of us are first time applicants. Also, what's everyone's living situation (married, kids, etc)? I will be moving for grad school at the same time BOTH of my kids will be entering their freshman year of college. It's extra scary, and the logistics are a big headache already. However, grad school should be an excellent remedy for empty nest syndrome. 

I am a first-timer. I’m 27 - will be 28 by the time school starts in the fall. Not married, no kids, so I recognize the logistics are a little simpler for me. 

I’m mostly scared about money (little to no savings, unemployed), but I know I can get by on modest income. So as long as I get a job offer soon and make it through these next few months, I think I’ll be ok on a stipend. 

I’ve also never lived outside my current tristate area. My family is the type to stay put, and I only started traveling around age 25. Needless to say I’m pretty excited for a new adventure. 

2 hours ago, cecsav said:

29 and married. Freelancer so income very unstable. Only applied to nearby schools because my partner can't move for his job. Might commute to a school 4 hours away... they said it's commutable (only required to be on campus 1-2 days a week).

Oh, and also, first-time applicant. Applied to 7 schools. Fingers crossed for everyone here! ?

ps: I've recently experienced some personal health crisis. Absolutely life-changing. I understand that it feels like whether we get into an MFA program is what our lives are all about right now, but please remember to appreciate your health, your loved ones, and every breath you take :) 

49 minutes ago, M-Lin said:

Only applied to nearby schools because my partner can't move for his job. Might commute to a school 4 hours away... they said it's commutable (only required to be on campus 1-2 days a week).

Oh, and also, first-time applicant. Applied to 7 schools. 

Can I ask where you're located and where you applied? There are maybe three programs within commuting distance from me. I commut an hour each way for undergrad right now. I can't imagine a four hour commute. 

Edited by cecsav

I’ve made a new ranked list of remaining schools (with consideration to my specific needs and wants):

U Maryland

U Florida

Michener

V Tech

U New Hampshire

SJCNY

___

Let’s be honest, I’m getting rejected from:

UNO (one recommendation short), Rutgers- Newark (ditto UNO), and WashU

3 hours ago, cecsav said:

I've been curious about this, too.  First-time applicant here!  I am 30, married, and do not have kids.  My husband has been a saint navigating the MFA application (and now waiting to hear) process with me. 

29 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Can I ask where you're located and where you applied? There are maybe three programs within commuting distance from me. I commut an hour each way for undergrad right now. I can't imagine a four hour commute. 

I'm in NYC! So have many (partial or no funding ?) options... The 4-hour commute is in Boston. I guess it's not really a commute. I would have to stay there one or two nights a week. 

4 minutes ago, Boomer not Ok said:

Anyone apply to Columbia? If so, just wondering what you thought about the response piece for the app. I applied to 11 schools and Columbia was the only school that requested this additional piece of writing apart from the writing submission. Just wondering how important it is. 

I attended the open house and basically I think they want to know whether and how you are engaging with contemporary literature. It's not nearly as important as the writing sample, but I think it helps if you choose something that you really respond to as an artist. I believe Victor LaValle said they want to see "what makes you the most excited" and "addressing the text in a voice that feels authentic to you."

On 2/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, Boomer not Ok said:

Anyone apply to Columbia? If so, just wondering what you thought about the response piece for the app. I applied to 11 schools and Columbia was the only school that requested this additional piece of writing apart from the writing submission. Just wondering how important it is. 

Hiii! I applied to Columbia — I actually had a lot of fun with the literary response essay. I wrote about my favorite contemporary collection, The Babysitter at Rest (a beautiful book out of the Dorothy project at WashU). I wanted to pick something relevant to my work that was enough of a “deep cut” while still being something the admissions committee could have theoretically read. That writer, Jen George adjuncted at Columbia for a semester so it seemed a natural choice. What did you write about??

by the way — does anyone have any idea when Columbia notifies? It’s among my top choices, even though the funding it notoriously bad. 

17 minutes ago, Gandoph said:

I disagree. You say to be honest. I think you have a better chance at UNO than at Michener. Michener takes only 1% of applicants. I suspect UNO will take more than 1% of applicants with a missing recommendation. So if you want to be honest and discount your odds, start with Michener.

Marshall - that you?

Hi, nice to meet you. I wrote my response on David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue, which I was reading at the time. I liked the book, but felt his genre blend of fantasy with historical fiction did not work well, not nearly IMO as well as Whitehead's Underground Railroad. But I didn't get into that comparison or criticize. Stayed positive and went a bit experimental with how the story made me conceive of a counter life for one of the characters, which may come across as hokey, crazy, or get points for risk taking...? Anyway, I was wondering how much the response piece matters, given mine may come across as trying too hard to be different. 

This is my first time doing MFA apps, so I have no idea when Columbia announces decisions. Hope it works out for you.

Hi all! Was nervously lurking, but figured I should at least join in to commiserate. Received an email from University of Idaho (CNF concentration) today saying I'm high on waitlist & to schedule a call to chat about the program. Overjoyed to be waitlisted honestly-- I'm a first time applicant and was expecting to be wholesale rejected this year.

Wondering if FSU has already notified people? I saw via results that they'd called Creative Writing PhDs but didn't see about MFAs, but someone earlier mentioned they figured they were already out of the running since they hadn't heard? 

Anyway, hello everyone! Hope we can all take a deep breath together haha. (0A, 1W, 0R, 7P)

26 minutes ago, Greel said:

Hi all! Was nervously lurking, but figured I should at least join in to commiserate. Received an email from University of Idaho (CNF concentration) today saying I'm high on waitlist & to schedule a call to chat about the program. Overjoyed to be waitlisted honestly-- I'm a first time applicant and was expecting to be wholesale rejected this year.

Wondering if FSU has already notified people? I saw via results that they'd called Creative Writing PhDs but didn't see about MFAs, but someone earlier mentioned they figured they were already out of the running since they hadn't heard? 

Anyway, hello everyone! Hope we can all take a deep breath together haha. (0A, 1W, 0R, 7P)

Welcome! You ever been to Moscow, Idaho? Not much out there but it's a cool little town and the area is gorgeous.

3 hours ago, Gandoph said:

I disagree. You say to be honest. I think you have a better chance at UNO than at Michener. Michener takes only 1% of applicants. I suspect UNO will take more than 1% of applicants with a missing recommendation. So if you want to be honest and discount your odds, start with Michener.

Hey M*rshall

1 minute ago, mrvisser said:

Can't believe I was actually fooled.

I was just letting it slide because they weren’t posting much. I was curious when they would start being an ass to either of us. The target was me haha.

1 minute ago, Ydrl said:

I was just letting it slide because they weren’t posting much. I was curious when they would start being an ass to either of us. The target was me haha.

Well, I got it from him earlier in that argument. And then I looked dumb.

Just now, mrvisser said:

Well, I got it from him earlier in that argument. And then I looked dumb.

Eh, don’t worry about it. I feel like I look stupid too, just letting it go on while the moderator shakes their head at us.

10 minutes ago, yahearditherefirst said:

Rejected by Oregon tonight! First rejection of the cycle, and nothing from Washu so...not looking good...

Damn, sorry to hear! I'm still waiting on my WashU rejection as well, along with Vanderbilt.