2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Just now, mrvisser said:

Nothing from ND yet, but I think they usually notify in March because of their later deadline.

Ty!! I'll be sure to come panic here about Notre Dame if I hear anything in the next coming weeks. ✌️? I look forward to a mutual freak out with u, friend.

8 minutes ago, Salaam O said:

Ty!! I'll be sure to come panic here about Notre Dame if I hear anything in the next coming weeks. ✌️? I look forward to a mutual freak out with u, friend.

Same! Although I'm already getting so many rejections that by the time Notre Dame rolls around I might just be cold and dead inside.

11 minutes ago, Sorensen said:

Does anyone have any more information on University of Washington? I know a call was mentioned earlier coming from Drafts but I’m still holding out a little candle of hope.

I am wondering the same...there seems to be no other mention of anything regarding acceptances, rejections, or waitlists. My running theory is that perhaps they called their top candidate/the candidate who they were giving the most funding to before everybody else? The person who was accepted seems like a wonderfully talented person 

1 hour ago, prosbie said:

Hey - I was on this forum last year during application season, weird to be back - but I was accepted to Iowa and I just want to say for anyone who is worrying right now, I was only accepted about a couple weeks before the April 15th deadline, by phone, later than any other school, and I was accepted with their most well paying fellowship. So application season is weird and just because some ppl are receiving acceptances it really doesn't mean anything. What I learned from here is that forewarning or foreworrying actually worsens your experience of the outcome, because it makes you believe you know what's going on when the administrations that handle rejections/acceptances are all wavy gravy, baby.  It really is all good until you actually personally get the no. 

Thank you so much for this post! ?

48 minutes ago, Sorensen said:

Does anyone have any more information on University of Washington? I know a call was mentioned earlier coming from Drafts but I’m still holding out a little candle of hope.

Are you poetry or fiction? I've only seen acceptances for poetry, so I'm hoping I'm still in the running for fiction.

2 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

Are you poetry or fiction? I've only seen acceptances for poetry, so I'm hoping I'm still in the running for fiction.

Were there multiple poetry acceptances? I only saw the one

33 minutes ago, aa2427 said:

I am wondering the same...there seems to be no other mention of anything regarding acceptances, rejections, or waitlists. My running theory is that perhaps they called their top candidate/the candidate who they were giving the most funding to before everybody else? The person who was accepted seems like a wonderfully talented person 

Re: University of Washington, I can't speak for this year, but several years ago, I wasn't notified of rejection until mid-April. Someone I emailed at that time said that they weren't denying anyone until they had their class full (all offers accepted), and that accepted students had until the April 15th deadline to respond to offers. They said some years it goes faster than others.

11 minutes ago, Clabbens said:

Re: University of Washington, I can't speak for this year, but several years ago, I wasn't notified of rejection until mid-April. Someone I emailed at that time said that they weren't denying anyone until they had their class full (all offers accepted), and that accepted students had until the April 15th deadline to respond to offers. They said some years it goes faster than others.

I'm not expecting a rejection this soon. More just curious because yesterday around 4pm someone on Draft was accepted for poetry. She said she was the first they called, and they told her they would be making more calls. So far no other acceptances have come through on these sites, and it could be that the other admitted students aren't on here, but there might still be some hope for fiction.

Just now, corgeel14 said:

So not to completely expose myself as having no idea about anything, but WHAT THE HELL IS DRAFT ?? I see so many people mentioning it as a source for application status news and I've got no idea what that is?

It's a Facebook group that's for the same purpose as this site, essentially. But it has a lot of MFA veterans, faculty, etc., so there's a lot of useful information.

1 hour ago, CanadianKate said:

I don't see that on my profile! ?

Are you sure? for me, if i go to my portal, it has several tabs: my portal is under the "student information tab" on the top in yellow and then the course registration is under the "courses/registration tab" maybe it's there and you just didn't know where to find it?? 

17 minutes ago, dooooodle said:

Has anyone who is a member of Draft seen more Iowa Fiction updates? It seems pretty quiet here (on Grad Cafe) since yesterday...

Thanks, gang! Good luck to everyone!

I haven’t seen anything today. Everything I’ve heard leads me to believe it’s a long process for getting out calls for them. I also heard that they notify waitlists through physical mail (god knows why). I’m not sure how they notify rejections.

27 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

Are you sure? for me, if i go to my portal, it has several tabs: my portal is under the "student information tab" on the top in yellow and then the course registration is under the "courses/registration tab" maybe it's there and you just didn't know where to find it?? 

I can see it on mine. I’m pretty sure it’s been there the whole time, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

1 hour ago, dooooodle said:

Has anyone who is a member of Draft seen more Iowa Fiction updates? It seems pretty quiet here (on Grad Cafe) since yesterday...

Thanks, gang! Good luck to everyone!

I've been keeping track of the Iowa notifications and I hate myself for having gotten to this point, but, so far, it's:

- 2 acceptances in Draft 

- 1 on GradCafe (from one person referenced above from Draft)

- 2 on Twitter 

- 2 that I'm not sure about because the info didn't come directly from the applicants: one comes from someone who said that their friend received an email from Iowa and another was someone on Twitter congratulating their friend who got in. 

That's all I've seen. 

Edited by Jjayy
I don't remember which acceptances were for Fiction and which were for Poetry.

40 minutes ago, Jjayy said:

I've been keeping track of the Iowa notifications and I hate myself for having gotten to this point, but, so far, it's:

- 2 acceptances in Draft 

- 1 on GradCafe (from one person referenced above from Draft)

- 2 on Twitter 

- 2 that I'm not sure about because the info didn't come directly from the applicants: one comes from someone who said that their friend received an email from Iowa and another was someone on Twitter congratulating their friend who got in. 

That's all I've seen. 

Were the twitter ones fiction as well?

2 hours ago, corgeel14 said:

So not to completely expose myself as having no idea about anything, but WHAT THE HELL IS DRAFT ?? I see so many people mentioning it as a source for application status news and I've got no idea what that is?

Lmao ME TOO. I live clueless so anyone with an answer is welcome ??

2 hours ago, rcsteel said:

I’m not sure how they notify rejections.

Looking at last year's IWW results here, the first acceptance calls from IWW went out about this time, continued for some while, and rejections followed in the mail in March, continuing into April. 

That's not to say the system may change at any point. Who knows what Covid and other circumstances are impacting these days.

18 minutes ago, eternalwhitenights said:

Someone just posted on Draft that they got a waitlist notification from Cornell for poetry, just as a heads up to y'all (and KEEP YOUR HEADS UP, too!!!!!!). 

Rejections and waitlists for poetry only are out rn! Fiction acceptances should be coming up hhhhhhhhh

I'm still waiting on three schools (possibly two, depending on whether UW has made its decisions), but I spent a fair amount of time today making up a spreadsheet of 51 schools to narrow down for next year. And now I feel like I'm insane for obsessing this much.