MSW.K

11 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Hey everyone! Has anyone paid their deposit and committed to a school and then changed their mind? How did you go about informing the other school that you're no longer attending? 

If you mention Covid you are more likely to get a refund. 

9 hours ago, trahenagem said:

I feel kind of silly asking this, but if an acceptance/deposit deadline is written "decide by April 22nd", does that include April 22nd itself? I understand deadlines to conventionally include that last day, but I don't want to mess up! I'm trying to delay paying until the last min if possible as I was told I'd have another uni's decision by tomorrow. 

I've generally taken this to include 22 April, but it can't hurt to call and ask a clarifying question since theres so much at stake! 

9 hours ago, trahenagem said:

I feel kind of silly asking this, but if an acceptance/deposit deadline is written "decide by April 22nd", does that include April 22nd itself? I understand deadlines to conventionally include that last day, but I don't want to mess up! I'm trying to delay paying until the last min if possible as I was told I'd have another uni's decision by tomorrow. 

Yes you should should the 22nd as well. As long as it is received and confirmed by someone on the 22nd

11 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

Hey everyone! Has anyone paid their deposit and committed to a school and then changed their mind? How did you go about informing the other school that you're no longer attending? 

All you can do is be honest, and give them as much heads up as you can. "I previously made a deposit, however circumstances have changed," isn't an awful way to start. Be apologetic, don't burn bridges, and let them know why! Perhaps you got a bigger scholarship somewhere else, or there's a family-related reason to stay closer to home.

Just remember, you're committing a lot of time and money, and you're the only one who will truly have to live with your decision. Schools are great, but they're also businesses run by real people. They'll get it. And you won't be the only one to do this, either. 

...just don't expect to get that deposit back. You might. But also you definitely might not.

13 hours ago, FearedEffect said:

It seems like the e-mail estimates from Columbia have been very unreliable. I waited until the last minute to put my deposit down. If I were you I'd definitely plan on paying that deposit on the 26th. Hopefully we get positive news and it all works out eventually. I can at least say that I have a bit less anxiety since I paid my deposit now that I know I at least have a spot somewhere for fall.

I just emailed again and was sent a form letter stating I would hear within the next two weeks. This was the same email I received two weeks ago... so we'll see! ?

20 minutes ago, msw.lcas.lcsw said:

I just emailed again and was sent a form letter stating I would hear within the next two weeks. This was the same email I received two weeks ago... so we'll see! ?

This is such a let down. I really thought that when they told me 2 weeks it would be 2 weeks... now I'm not so sure

5 hours ago, fafsaavoidant said:

All you can do is be honest, and give them as much heads up as you can. "I previously made a deposit, however circumstances have changed," isn't an awful way to start. Be apologetic, don't burn bridges, and let them know why! Perhaps you got a bigger scholarship somewhere else, or there's a family-related reason to stay closer to home.

Just remember, you're committing a lot of time and money, and you're the only one who will truly have to live with your decision. Schools are great, but they're also businesses run by real people. They'll get it. And you won't be the only one to do this, either. 

...just don't expect to get that deposit back. You might. But also you definitely might not.

I know I won't be getting my deposit back and I'm fine with that. I committed to NYU and filled out the field placement form as well but I'm thinking of switching to UCLA (I was originally waitlisted but now offered a spot). Do you think I'll be burning bridges by telling NYU that I won't be attending anymore? One of the main reasons is cost tbh since I'm from CA and UCLA would be significantly cheaper. I didn't expect to get off the waitlist at all. I doubt I'll apply to NYU in the future but I just feel kind of bad. 

Edited by MSW_2021

13 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I know I won't be getting my deposit back and I'm fine with that. I committed to NYU and filled out the field placement form as well but I'm thinking of switching to UCLA (I was originally waitlisted but now offered a spot). Do you think I'll be burning bridges by telling NYU that I won't be attending anymore? One of the main reasons is cost tbh since I'm from CA and UCLA would be significantly cheaper. I didn't expect to get off the waitlist at all. I doubt I'll apply to NYU in the future but I just feel kind of bad. 

I think finances is always super understandable/no hard feelings. You can just say circumstances have changed and you need to go with the more affordable option.

11 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I don't have experience in this at all but just hopping in to offer my perspective. I think burning bridges happens less with the action alone and is more about how you approach it. As long as you are respectful to the fact that you are backing out of your commitment but you explain that you're making this decision for financial reasons and whatever other reasons that make you believe the other school is a better choice, I'm sure they will be understanding. I'm sure this happens all the time and I'm sure they don't blacklist every student who does it, as long as you provide a solid backing for your choice and are respectful and appreciative of their offer and what they've done for you thus far. Either way, just do what's best for you and your future-- they will not remember your choice in 5 years, but you definitely will! Best of luck in your decision! 

3 hours ago, msw.lcas.lcsw said:

Another 2 weeks??? May I ask when did you apply? I applied on the Feb 15th deadline, and communicated with admissions about 3 weeks ago and they said I should find out around this time....why are they the only school to be taking so long? 

3 minutes ago, aoikal said:

Another 2 weeks??? May I ask when did you apply? I applied on the Feb 15th deadline, and communicated with admissions about 3 weeks ago and they said I should find out around this time....why are they the only school to be taking so long? 

Same here. 

Hi All! 

I've been a long time lurker and thought I'd finally jump on these discussions! Just like a handful of others, I was waiting for my Columbia decision for what felt like the longest and finally received it on Monday April 19th, I applied Feb 1st. Also, I just received my financial aid package and wondering if anyone successfully appealed theirs? Would anyone mind sharing the link to the appeal form? I've seen a budget appeal form but not sure if this is it. 

Thank you and best of luck to those waiting! 

1 hour ago, MSW_2021 said:

Chiming in to cosign what has already been said. Thousands of dollars is a valid reason to change your mind about anything. Just be respectful and understanding, and it'll be fine. Telling them ASAP might even create space for someone who really wants to be at NYU and was waitlisted! Good luck, and congratulations on being able to choose between two great options! 

48 minutes ago, aoikal said:

I don't mind at all! I submitted my application on Feb. 15th as well -- lifelong procrastinator. Originally, they said eight weeks. I called after nine weeks and they said two more weeks, and then today I got that form email stating two more weeks. I tried calling as well but couldn't get through. I've been on edge because it seems like most of the programs to which I applied have been delayed in decision announcements. HOWEVER, I found out last week I got into a program I like, so that was a relief. I would really love to attend Columbia's program though!

58 minutes ago, msw.lcas.lcsw said:

I don't mind at all! I submitted my application on Feb. 15th as well -- lifelong procrastinator. Originally, they said eight weeks. I called after nine weeks and they said two more weeks, and then today I got that form email stating two more weeks. I tried calling as well but couldn't get through. I've been on edge because it seems like most of the programs to which I applied have been delayed in decision announcements. HOWEVER, I found out last week I got into a program I like, so that was a relief. I would really love to attend Columbia's program though!

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm on edge too!! Just to clarify, did you receive another automated email saying another 2 weeks or was that their reply to your email? Just curious as I might have missed something as I didn't receive an automated email if that's the case lol.

1 hour ago, fafsaavoidant said:

Chiming in to cosign what has already been said. Thousands of dollars is a valid reason to change your mind about anything. Just be respectful and understanding, and it'll be fine. Telling them ASAP might even create space for someone who really wants to be at NYU and was waitlisted! Good luck, and congratulations on being able to choose between two great options! 

Should I go into details and tell them which school I'll be attending or keep it short and just mention that my circumstances have changed with finances being the main reason? 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:26 AM, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Don’t worry about them. Higher education is a business - especially professional degree programs - and they’re used to it. I guarantee you they will have someone to fill your spot. If this were a PhD program, it would be a little different as far as politics and possibly burning bridges.... MSW level - don’t sweat it. When making your list of the pros and cons of each program - don’t give any weight to that aspect. 

I think there's a big chance I'll be attending UCLA instead. Do you think NYU will be ok with that? I'm really worried about any possible repercussions. 

14 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

I think there's a big chance I'll be attending UCLA instead. Do you think NYU will be ok with that? I'm really worried about any possible repercussions. 

There won’t be repercussions. You have to do what’s in your best interest. They don’t keep a list or anything. They probably don’t even track it. They will get your deposit and easily backfill your spot from the wait list.

10 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

There won’t be repercussions. You have to do what’s in your best interest. They don’t keep a list or anything. They probably don’t even track it. They will get your deposit and easily backfill your spot from the wait list.

Should I tell them I'll be attending another school and go into detail why or just say that my circumstances have changed? 

12 minutes ago, MSW_2021 said:

Should I tell them I'll be attending another school and go into detail why or just say that my circumstances have changed? 

Put the ball in their court?

Let them now you were recently offered a spot at UCLA, which would be in-state tuition. Would they be willing or able to increase your scholarship? 

Hey I just wanted to throw this question out there but I am curious about how other people are going to go about it.

Do any of you plan on working while you are in grad school? Getting scholarships are not as accessible for grad students and tuition is a lot of money even for in state tuition.

I know some some loans are available but I am interested in not taking out the students loans that fafsa awarded because the loans start accruing interest immediately and they can't be absolved in a bankruptcy.

Another question is have any of you been successful in negotiating with your employer to give a stipend for grad school in addition to salary? 

I am interested in how other people are plan on dealing with tuition, work and school for the upcoming year.