Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

2 hours ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

Just to add my voice to the chorus, I also wish our colleague @ClassicsCandidate the best of luck this year. You have been absolutely amazing and essential in this group! I wish you find joy in everything you choose to do this year!

Thank you so much! I wish everyone the best of luck with this year too and I sincerely hope it's been than the last one!

Thanks @somethingClassics and @ClassicsApp21 for your quick response. Congratulations @somethingClassics.

Even though I want to work on a PhD, I'm okay waiting for now. There's always next year.

@ClassicsCandidate, sorry to hear that you got all rejections as well. From what I can tell, this was a tough year for a lot of candidates. 

It definitely was a difficult time! But since I posted last I have put in an application for a MAT program that only takes 14 months, and emailed a potential supervisor at one of the universities abroad I was looking at. Compiling my list of potential places to go. I hope everyone's going to get news soon, and for those who didn't, I am always up to commiserate about this cycle's outcome. 

Guys, I did it! 

I applied to three programs and was rejected by one, accepted by one and still have not heard back from the last one. Today I got an offer of an assistantship at the school that accepted me with stipend, tuition waiver, and health insurance! I am beyond excited. I had almost given up hope.

After a process of about six years (deciding what I wanted to do, getting a second bachelor's degree, started applying to programs for fall of 2019) I have finally gotten where I want to be. 

Congratulations to my fellow new graduate students! If you haven't gotten in this cycle or haven't heard back yet, don't give up!

Applied to Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan, John Hopkins, UNC,  and Duke.  Have a rejection from Michigan, acceptance from UNC and haven't heard from the others (assuming on waiting list with little hope of getting in).  Pumped about UNC as it and Duke were the top two choices.   Applied to 8 schools for 2020 and got all rejections.  Tough couple of years - but keep hope alive everyone.  Spent the past year (after getting MA) being an adjunct professor at a small private school and being an intern at a state museum.

19 hours ago, TaciturnTales said:

Guys, I did it! 

I applied to three programs and was rejected by one, accepted by one and still have not heard back from the last one. Today I got an offer of an assistantship at the school that accepted me with stipend, tuition waiver, and health insurance! I am beyond excited. I had almost given up hope.

After a process of about six years (deciding what I wanted to do, getting a second bachelor's degree, started applying to programs for fall of 2019) I have finally gotten where I want to be. 

Congratulations to my fellow new graduate students! If you haven't gotten in this cycle or haven't heard back yet, don't give up!

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you ?

Speaking of acceptance, has anyone heard from Tufts University? I applied by the application deadline and received an email a few days later thanking me for my interest and giving me general information about the department and about funding. Also, information on updating my application. It does not read like any kind of acceptance at all and I have no letter of acceptance in the application portal.

Then I got an email today from one of the professors there reminding me that I have until April 15th to accept. I'm confused! Do they have the wrong person? Did the acceptance email go to the wrong place? There is nothing in my junk mail folder.

42 minutes ago, TaciturnTales said:

Speaking of acceptance, has anyone heard from Tufts University? I applied by the application deadline and received an email a few days later thanking me for my interest and giving me general information about the department and about funding. Also, information on updating my application. It does not read like any kind of acceptance at all and I have no letter of acceptance in the application portal.

Then I got an email today from one of the professors there reminding me that I have until April 15th to accept. I'm confused! Do they have the wrong person? Did the acceptance email go to the wrong place? There is nothing in my junk mail folder.

Which program? I got an offer for the Econ/Policy PhD at Tufts a few days ago, but when they sent me a letter, the text was pretty clear that it was an offer of admission. (I know this for sure because i read it over several times to makes sure my eyes were not deceiving themselves, haha!)

Edited by ajak568
Edit: Sorry--I just realize by searching for "Tufts" I ended up in the Classics thread. :P Kicking myself out, now!

On 3/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, TaciturnTales said:

Guys, I did it! 

Congrats!!! That is fantastic ❤️ This might be a long shot, but I don't suppose that it was Bryn Mawr you heard back from yesterday? I only ask as I received my acceptance and funding details yesterday too and I may be getting ahead of myself in trying to find future course mates! I'm going to be moving out to the US from the UK :) x

Either way, congratulations on the good news and I wish everyone who is still waiting or is anticipating next year all the best! 

6 hours ago, harriegrace said:

Congrats!!! That is fantastic ❤️ This might be a long shot, but I don't suppose that it was Bryn Mawr you heard back from yesterday? I only ask as I received my acceptance and funding details yesterday too and I may be getting ahead of myself in trying to find future course mates! I'm going to be moving out to the US from the UK :) x

Either way, congratulations on the good news and I wish everyone who is still waiting or is anticipating next year all the best! 

Alas, not Bryn Mawr. It was a state university. ? I'd rather not say which one. Trying not to dox myself, haha.

Too bad, I would love to have a British friend! Congratulations and best of luck to you!

17 hours ago, TaciturnTales said:

Have you emailed them back asking what's going on? I'm interested to hear what happens! I would love to have been admitted unknowingly to the schools I haven't heard from yet... ?

30 minutes ago, PeppermintTea said:

Anyone else still waiting for a few more results (rejections)? It's so odd to me that they're waiting this long... like I know I'm not getting in, what's the hold up?

I'm still waiting on Toronto! I'm 99% percent certain it's a rejection, since I never got an interview & acceptances were sent out over a month ago, but it still should not be taking this long...

...Maybe the decisions/admissions process is different for me since I am an American applying to a Canadian school and/or because I applied to the Mediterranean Archaeology Collaborative Specialization (MACS)?

I would say that it would be safe to reach out to people if you haven't heard anything by the beginning of August - I heard from a few people that they actually never heard back from some schools that they applied to. I feel like reaching out in the beginning of April to request a timeline on their decisions, since it comes close to the date universities usually let students know (April 15th) whether or not they've accepted an offer.

14 hours ago, TomBombadil63 said:

Still waiting on Maryland, John Hopkins, and Rutgers.  Rejected by Duke and Michigan. Accepted by UNC

I haven't herd back from Michigan yet, which is weird because they've sent out some of the rejections already? And still waiting on UCLA. 

On 3/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, TomBombadil63 said:

Still waiting on Maryland, John Hopkins, and Rutgers.  Rejected by Duke and Michigan. Accepted by UNC

i get rejected by UNC, but I’m just curious if they hosted a virtual visit before giving out the offers. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Octavia the Younger said:

Hello! Quick question from an international student finishing a BA in Classics. How long does it take to get a master's degree in Classics in the US? One or two years? Thank you!

Two, as far as I'm aware

On 3/14/2021 at 12:58 PM, PeppermintTea said:

I haven't herd back from Michigan yet, which is weird because they've sent out some of the rejections already? And still waiting on UCLA. 

I’m also still waiting on UCLA but they already had their open house and sent at least one acceptance out according to the results page. I can’t imagine we’re in for good news at this point but last time I applied I’d heard from or at least was waitlisted by all the PhD programs I applied to by mid March. Honestly my brain has already closed off the idea of being in school next year, it would upend my life again to get in now lol.

Edited by Catalystica