Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

2 hours ago, Catalystica said:

Congrats on Stanford!! Could I ask what your specialization is?

Thank you! I'm mostly interested in Greek social history, especially in population displacement and demographic studies, mainly in Archaic and Classical Greece but also Late Antiquity and Byzantium, especially late Byzantium. I generally focused on the Greece/Late Antiquity for the Classics programs and Late Antiquity/Byzantium for the History programs.

Well, a mentor of mine encouraged me to reach out and see if some of the schools I hadn't heard back from had a timeline for when decisions would be released. Toronto was nice enough to just tell me I wasn't on the list of students getting offers so... mission success? Side note UBC said they won't be sending anything out until mid-march at earliest.

14 minutes ago, Wafflotron said:

Well, a mentor of mine encouraged me to reach out and see if some of the schools I hadn't heard back from had a timeline for when decisions would be released. Toronto was nice enough to just tell me I wasn't on the list of students getting offers so... mission success? Side note UBC said they won't be sending anything out until mid-march at earliest.

May I ask when you heard from Toronto, and what specialization you applied to there (Language, Archaeology, etc.)?

1 minute ago, Lucius Ambulus Caelo said:

May I ask when you heard from Toronto, and what specialization you applied to there (Language, Archaeology, etc.)?

I reached out by email yesterday to ask if they had a timeline for when decisions would be released. I applied to the 2-year Masters program.

Edit: I heard back just this morning after emailing yesterday.

Edited by Wafflotron
Misunderstood question

1 minute ago, Wafflotron said:

I reached out by email yesterday to ask if they had a timeline for when decisions would be released. I applied to the 2-year Masters program.

Edit: I heard back just this morning after emailing yesterday.

Gotcha, thanks. I applied to the PhD Archaeology specialization, and reached out to a POI about 3 weeks ago about the timeline, who simply said that someone should be in touch with me soon. I saw some Classics PhD interviews & admissions posted as early as the end of January, and I'd like to think that the reason that they haven't sent out my decision yet is because the archaeology specialization follows a different timeline, rather than that they simply are deciding to wait an additional month and a half to send out rejection notices....

Does anyone know if the Michigan recruitment weekend included literature or was just the history/ archaeology, and if the different programs have different admissions? I haven't heard anything and assume rejection and I'm just wondering when they'll set me free lol 

1 minute ago, PeppermintTea said:

Does anyone know if the Michigan recruitment weekend included literature or was just the history/ archaeology, and if the different programs have different admissions? I haven't heard anything and assume rejection and I'm just wondering when they'll set me free lol 

Michigan’s recruitment weekend included language and literature, ancient history, and archaeology. Different programs handle offers differently; archaeology offers aren’t made until after the weekend, while lang & lit mixed people who have already received offers with those on the waitlist, and encourages prospectives not to share their status (whether they’ve been accepted or waitlisted) with current students and faculty. If you did not attend recruitment weekend and haven’t heard anything, I’d assume it’s a rejection, though some people might be lower on the waitlist/in an emergency reserve spot in case everyone accepted or higher up on the waitlist declines.

25 minutes ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

Well, just now was informed I got into Brandeis' MA program. Got some funding, so that's a win! But unfortunately not nearly enough funding, so that's a bummer. 

I did my undergrad at Brandeis; it's a fantastic program. I applied/was admitted into to the MA last year, and was also disappointed by the funding

2 hours ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

Well, just now was informed I got into Brandeis' MA program. Got some funding, so that's a win! But unfortunately not nearly enough funding, so that's a bummer. 

Congrats! I'm sorry it's not enough; could you reach out to your POI and inquire if there was any external funding that might help supplement it?

6 hours ago, suntaliquidmanes said:

Michigan’s recruitment weekend included language and literature, ancient history, and archaeology. Different programs handle offers differently; archaeology offers aren’t made until after the weekend, while lang & lit mixed people who have already received offers with those on the waitlist, and encourages prospectives not to share their status (whether they’ve been accepted or waitlisted) with current students and faculty. If you did not attend recruitment weekend and haven’t heard anything, I’d assume it’s a rejection, though some people might be lower on the waitlist/in an emergency reserve spot in case everyone accepted or higher up on the waitlist declines.

Archaeology students were told to get the results by the end of last week (interview was two weeks ago), but still haven’t heard back from them yet really wondering what’s going on the wait is tortuous 

58 minutes ago, Sappho618 said:

Archaeology students were told to get the results by the end of last week (interview was two weeks ago), but still haven’t heard back from them yet really wondering what’s going on the wait is tortuous 

I have no insider information, unfortunately — hope you hear back ASAP!

31 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Just got my rejection from Princeton. Really disappointed, feeling the pressure, and really anxious about the result of the last school...

I'm sorry to hear this. I've been reading your posts on this thread and have been really rooting for you. I hope that Rutgers comes through! You only need one.

Thank you, @TaciturnTales! "You only need one" is definitely my motto this year (and other years, of course). I do have a plan on how I'm going to tackle everything depending on the outcome, so now I just need it to happen so I can move forward. The anxiety has been the worst, so I'm looking forward to not waiting anymore, lol. So I'm just crossing my fingers now. 

2 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Well, as of an hour ago, it's official: all rejections.

Ugh, I'm sorry. But like you said, the waiting is over! Time to go enjoy some anxiety-free fun.

I'm glad you have a plan on moving forward. I don't, aside from trying to make my application stronger for next year and being depressed. lol

Sorry if this is uncouth to say, but if you have been admitted to UChicago and don't plan to accept I would ask if you could please please decline your offer soon! I am waitlisted and must decide on a job offer within a short time frame and really hope to go to UChicago! 

@ClassicsCandidate your positive and upbeat messages have brightened this forum and made this agonizing process a little more tolerable, I've really been rooting for you. I hope things work out one way or another in the future! 

3 hours ago, DiomedesVIII said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU Classics (GSAS)? I haven't heard anything since I applied. I'm also fairly certain they don't interview candidates, if I remember correctly.

Hi, I was admitted two weeks ago, interviews were a week before that. Sorry you didn't get any news ? 

Congrats, @somethingClassics! I was also interviewed (on 15th February), but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm hoping for a waiting list and wishing you the best of luck @DiomedesVIII.

Just to add my voice to the chorus, I also wish our colleague @ClassicsCandidate the best of luck this year. You have been absolutely amazing and essential in this group! I wish you find joy in everything you choose to do this year!

20 hours ago, TaciturnTales said:

Ugh, I'm sorry. But like you said, the waiting is over! Time to go enjoy some anxiety-free fun.

I'm glad you have a plan on moving forward. I don't, aside from trying to make my application stronger for next year and being depressed. lol

I am incredibly lucky because I have a support system of a bunch of lovely people who have been helpful with helping me do certain things; one of my friends who is already a professor has offered to coach me through next application season and I have many people overseas who I know asking around to see if professors would be keen about my research so I know who to reach out to, so that's helped immensely. I played video games all day today after my Greek class, I have stuff to distract me tomorrow, and I teach during the week, so I definitely have things to distract me before diving back into things I want to work on to help with the next application cycle. And if you ever want to message and talk about it, I'm all ears! 

9 hours ago, HoneyDew99 said:

@ClassicsCandidate your positive and upbeat messages have brightened this forum and made this agonizing process a little more tolerable, I've really been rooting for you. I hope things work out one way or another in the future! 

I'm glad to have helped, and I appreciate the rooting! Many people don't get in on their first round - I had someone message me and tell her it took four tries. I'm extremely stubborn, so I'm not giving up! And I hope you get good news soon, too!