Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

So, to sum up, so far:

Acceptances: 1 University Of St. Andrews (PhD); 1 University Of Illinois (PhD); 1 Princeton University (Predoctoral); University Of Colorado (Masters)

Interviews: 2 Cornell University (PhD); 1 University Of Chicago (PhD); 1 University Of Illinois (PhD); 2 University Of Cambridge (Masters); 1 University Of Cambridge (PhD); 1 UCSB (PhD); UCLA (PhD); 1 University Of Colorado (Masters); 2 Princeton University (PhD)

Wait listed: UC Berkeley(PhD)

***Genuinely curious: those who have been interviewed, how was your experience?

12 minutes ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

So, to sum up, so far:

Acceptances: 1 University Of St. Andrews (PhD); 1 University Of Illinois (PhD); 1 Princeton University (Predoctoral); University Of Colorado (Masters)

Interviews: 2 Cornell University (PhD); 1 University Of Chicago (PhD); 1 University Of Illinois (PhD); 2 University Of Cambridge (Masters); 1 University Of Cambridge (PhD); 1 UCSB (PhD); UCLA (PhD); 1 University Of Colorado (Masters); 2 Princeton University (PhD)

Wait listed: UC Berkeley(PhD)

***Genuinely curious: those who have been interviewed, how was your experience?

Thanks for sharing! You're doing well! Just a question: you did two interviews with Cornell? and two with Princeton? 

2 minutes ago, PeppermintTea said:

I think that ClassicsApp21 is listing all the results in the results page for this season, not listing their own results. Either that or they're incredibly lucky. 

Oh you're right! My bad ?  I was getting way too nervous here.  

9 hours ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

The letter said that they'd sent separate emails to those with funding offers or waitlist funding offers and if you didn't get one of those it's unlikely that they'll have funding for you ?

Oh no! I agree with @ClassicsApp21 though, reaching out might be worthwhile to indicate you need the funding. I heard of people negotiating their funding before. 

5 hours ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

I'm sorry, I personally haven't heard anything back so far. ?

I was listing all the results in the results page, just to sum it up and, maybe, find out if someone could / would like to share their interview experience.

Thank you for putting in the summary! I've not heard back from anyone yet, either. ??? for everyone here!!!

9 hours ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

I'm sorry, I personally haven't heard anything back so far. ?

I was listing all the results in the results page, just to sum it up and, maybe, find out if someone could / would like to share their interview experience.

I posted about my experiences a while up in the thread, I had an interview with UC Berkeley AHMA but was rejected, to answer @ClassicsCandidate's question.

Edit: Oops, @PeppermintTea was the one who actually asked.

Edited by Catalystica

I also had one of the interviews listed above (I won't say where if that's okay, just to keep it anonymous). The experience wasn't too unpleasant, the interviewers were very friendly and showed genuine interest in me and my research experience. It kind of felt like a more informal chit-chat than anything else. I left feeling like it went well, but I have yet to hear back about decisions.  

I've heard a lot of the interviews are informal chitchat and I've been working on gathering information on interview possibilities from some places. I heard another piece of advice is to remember that you're also interviewing them so ask about things in the program you can benefit from, ask them if they're working on any research that doesn't appear on their posted CV on the department site (if they have one), etc. Asking them questions to get to know them as people and not just academics, too! Perusing the school/department website to come up with specific questions if you'd like. Someone gave these questions as an example: 1. Are there any things about you that were not in your application that you would like us to know or aspects of your application that you would especially like to stress? 2. What are your expectations of life in grad school and what do you expect to get out of it? 3. What about the program especially attracts you? 4. What scholarly book outside ancient history you have most enjoyed? 5. What questions do you have for us?

You're welcome, @ClassicsApp21! I've been putting them all in a Google Doc in order to answer them/write up the answers for each program to have them at the ready. Another person on Twitter shared their favorite questions to ask, so here's that, too!

Who their favorite female character from mythology is and why?
In a parallel universe, what would their job be instead of classics?
Why did they want to study classics?
What are their least favorite and the best part of the department?

8 minutes ago, Hammurabi000 said:

I have been lurking, but I am so excited to have received an interview with NYU ISAW!! Rejected from JHU though, they aren't taking anyone in my subfield 

Congrats, that’s absolutely amazing re: ISAW!! If you don’t mind me asking - when did they send interview invites, was it this week? 

5 minutes ago, Hammurabi000 said:

Thank you!!! Did you apply?? I heard back early last week! I had no idea what Grad Cafe was until today lol so I'm a bit late! 

I applied to ISAW as well, haven't heard from them yet, myself. Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!

Just now, ClassicsCandidate said:

I applied to ISAW as well, haven't heard from them yet, myself. Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!

It's super stressful -- I'm international, and I only applied to 3 programs. I know ISAW is only taking two this year, so it'll be really tight! This whole process is so stressful, I really hope this is the only time I'll be applying lol

2 minutes ago, Hammurabi000 said:

It's super stressful -- I'm international, and I only applied to 3 programs. I know ISAW is only taking two this year, so it'll be really tight! This whole process is so stressful, I really hope this is the only time I'll be applying lol

Oh wow, everyone is taking so few people! Good to know though. I did apply, and haven’t heard anything yet. Honestly this process has been more discouraging than I anticipated - not really wanting to go through it again either! 

1 minute ago, peploskore said:

Oh wow, everyone is taking so few people! Good to know though. I did apply, and haven’t heard anything yet. Honestly this process has been more discouraging than I anticipated - not really wanting to go through it again either! 

I feel ya. It's tough with some schools closing apps entirely, but most American schools are also going to prioritize American students (so intl's are extra struggling). I didn't apply to UT/UC system schools because I was told that they wouldn't be considering intl's as public system schools

I didn't realize they were taking only 2 people this year either, wow. Originally Columbia and Brown were also on my list and Rutgers wasn't but I added Rutgers when I found out Columbia, UPenn, and Brown weren't taking anyone. Definitely a difficult year to be applying!!

It's certainly a rough year and I have been telling myself that if I don't get in this year, it's just not my fault (maybe it's not 100% true,  but makes me feel better). I think many qualified candidates might be rejected this year just because departments are not taking their usual cohorts. Good to remember the shittiness of this application season is not on us and is beyond our control. 

Just now, Chaplin said:

It's certainly a rough year and I have been telling myself that if I don't get in this year, it's just not my fault (maybe it's not 100% true,  but makes me feel better). I think many qualified candidates might be rejected this year just because departments are not taking their usual cohorts. Good to remember the shittiness of this application season is not on us and is beyond our control. 

100%. There's the usual application process, which is stressful. But this year, there is a whole other circumstantial issue. When I heard from JHU, they told me that my app was strong, but there was simply no funding for someone in my area. 

6 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

I didn't realize they were taking only 2 people this year either, wow. Originally Columbia and Brown were also on my list and Rutgers wasn't but I added Rutgers when I found out Columbia, UPenn, and Brown weren't taking anyone. Definitely a difficult year to be applying!!

They took 5 last year, so I assume they are also accommodating for having such a strong cycle last year. Most programs are giving funding that would go to new students to the 3/4th years who are now guaranteed an extra year of funding after being screwed by Covid with research/libs being shut down