Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

43 minutes ago, Hammurabi000 said:

I have been lurking, but I am so excited to have received an interview with NYU ISAW!! Rejected from JHU though, they aren't taking anyone in my subfield 

Congratulations and good luck on the interview! It is shitty that JHU didn't announce that they weren't taking applicants in your subfield before you applied! That's such a waste of time and effort. I was planning to apply to Stanford, but they announced they weren't taking applicants in archaeology. Sucks but at least they announced it. 

Edited by Chaplin

Hey guys! As we start to hear back from places I'm starting to worry that maybe I didn't put in enough applications (6, so far). So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any programs, MA or PhD, that are still taking applications and that are offering funding. Thanks!

58 minutes ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

Hey guys! As we start to hear back from places I'm starting to worry that maybe I didn't put in enough applications (6, so far). So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any programs, MA or PhD, that are still taking applications and that are offering funding. Thanks!

Brandeis is taking MA apps until Feb. 15th, and they offer competitive funding

1 hour ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

I know that some UK universities have their Michaelmas term applications open but I'm not sure about the funding 

Boston College is taking apps until March 1st, also not sure about funding for them: https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/schools/mcas/departments/classics/graduate.html

MA at UBuffalo is also rolling basis: https://arts-sciences.buffalo.edu/classics/graduate/admissions.html

I think it's harder to get funding after a certain time. I'd search for "PhD" or "MA" and then "Classics degree rolling basis with funding" to see if you can find anything. 

Edited by ClassicsCandidate

2 minutes ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

So sorry to hear! but hopefully you'll get in elsewhere and who knows, maybe you'll make it through the waitlist!

Thank you! I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard not to feel discouraged. This is my first result, and I thought the interview went really well, so now I'm really doubting my chances. ? 

Just now, Lucius Ambulus Caelo said:

Sorry to hear that! May I ask though, did you ever get an interview with Cornell? I applied, but I never heard anything, so I'm assuming that means a rejection?

Hi, I did have an interview a few weeks ago. I don't know how their admissions works though, you might still have a chance! Lots of schools accept people without interviewing them, I think. Good luck! :) 

Just now, PeppermintTea said:

Hi, I did have an interview a few weeks ago. I don't know how their admissions works though, you might still have a chance! Lots of schools accept people without interviewing them, I think. Good luck! :) 

Okay, thanks for the info! Admittedly, I did actually have a brief informal chat with one of the faculty members when I applied back in 2019, but I doubt that would count towards anything haha. 

That said, I do kinda find it frustrating that many schools, at least in my limited experience, seem to inform rejected applicants much later (sometimes weeks) than those accepted or waitlisted...

2 minutes ago, Lucius Ambulus Caelo said:

Okay, thanks for the info! Admittedly, I did actually have a brief informal chat with one of the faculty members when I applied back in 2019, but I doubt that would count towards anything haha. 

That said, I do kinda find it frustrating that many schools, at least in my limited experience, seem to inform rejected applicants much later (sometimes weeks) than those accepted or waitlisted...

Agreed! It just makes the rejection that much worse, in my experience and opinion

10 hours ago, PeppermintTea said:

I got waitlisted at Cornell today ? 

Don't lose hope! Waitlisted means you're still technically in the running. I've not heard back from them at all yet, so hopefully mine is not a straight up rejection. I'm gonna keep hoping until I see my final results everywhere. 

14 hours ago, PeppermintTea said:

Thank you! I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard not to feel discouraged. This is my first result, and I thought the interview went really well, so now I'm really doubting my chances. ? 

Hey there! Long time lurker here, but I thought I’d reach out to give you some context. I was accepted in 2020 to Cornell being first on the wait list. From what I’ve heard in the program, its not uncommon. Another member of my program a few years my senior was in the same boat. Don’t worry—you definitely still have a shot. Cornell keeps a tight and realistic waitlist.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, Hammurabi000 said:

It's super stressful -- I'm international, and I only applied to 3 programs. I know ISAW is only taking two this year, so it'll be really tight! This whole process is so stressful, I really hope this is the only time I'll be applying lol

Well congrats for the interview! ✌️ I'm in your same situation, but how did you find out they're taking only 2 this year at ISAW? This news is freaking me out a bit ?

1 minute ago, koppatheta said:

Well congrats for the interview! ✌️ I'm in your same situation, but how did you find out they're taking only 2 this year at ISAW? This news is freaking me out a bit ?

Thank you! Heard from someone there. Most schools are taking less than usual, including NYU in most programs in the history/humanities. Did you get an interview?

Ah, I see, strange that they haven't posted the information anywhere... But yes, I also got an interview! Haven't really made any other application in the US, especially considering that there's not really any other place offering any position for my interests.

Good luck to both then!

Just now, koppatheta said:

Ah, I see, strange that they haven't posted the information anywhere... But yes, I also got an interview! Haven't really made any other application in the US, especially considering that there's not really any other place offering any position for my interests.

Good luck to both then!

Most schools aren’t openly advertising how many spots they are taking this year (or in general). Congrats on the interview! Which sub-field are you applying for? Best of luck! :) 

3 minutes ago, AncientAnnie567 said:

Most schools aren’t openly advertising how many spots they are taking this year (or in general). Congrats on the interview! Which sub-field are you applying for? Best of luck! :) 

Thanks! I’m a mishmash, that’s why I haven’t many options ? Mostly LBA/IA Anatolia and Levant, between history, archaeology, languages. And you, should i guess Assyriology?

I'm ngl, I really wish schools would be more up front about how many people they take (especially this year) per year. I'd like to know how many people applied to ISAW, for example, for 2 spots. Not in order to make me more anxious but rather help reassure myself that there may be hundreds (if not more) qualified students I'm competing against, so it's not necessarily that I'm not good enough for the program but they had to make pretty tough calls, you know? I feel like those stats would at least help a little. 

I did see a suggestion that you reach out to schools after a rejection and inquire how to make your application stronger for the next cycle, so I'm looking into how to do that/wanted to ask if anyone here has done that before? I still haven't heard anything, but I'm one to make sure I'm prepared for all scenarios.

2 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

I'm ngl, I really wish schools would be more up front about how many people they take (especially this year) per year. I'd like to know how many people applied to ISAW, for example, for 2 spots. Not in order to make me more anxious but rather help reassure myself that there may be hundreds (if not more) qualified students I'm competing against, so it's not necessarily that I'm not good enough for the program but they had to make pretty tough calls, you know? I feel like those stats would at least help a little. 

I did see a suggestion that you reach out to schools after a rejection and inquire how to make your application stronger for the next cycle, so I'm looking into how to do that/wanted to ask if anyone here has done that before? I still haven't heard anything, but I'm one to make sure I'm prepared for all scenarios.

I had this same question. I’ve gotten one rejection already and while brutal feeling I’d love to know if there is an appropriate way to reach back out for advice on strengthening future application cycles! I feel like enough work and effort went into each app that it’s completely fair to ask for feedback, I’m just not sure how to go about it. 

Also, in reference to number of spots this year - I lowkey feel like the numbers changed between October/November plans and what they are now deciding in January! Professors were very clear with me in that it would be smaller cohorts this year, but I never imagined they would be *that* small. I agree it would totally help to know some stats just to feel less bad and stressed about the whole thing! 

Edited by peploskore

2 hours ago, peploskore said:

I had this same question. I’ve gotten one rejection already and while brutal feeling I’d love to know if there is an appropriate way to reach back out for advice on strengthening future application cycles! I feel like enough work and effort went into each app that it’s completely fair to ask for feedback, I’m just not sure how to go about it. 

Also, in reference to number of spots this year - I lowkey feel like the numbers changed between October/November plans and what they are now deciding in January! Professors were very clear with me in that it would be smaller cohorts this year, but I never imagined they would be *that* small. I agree it would totally help to know some stats just to feel less bad and stressed about the whole thing! 

I think from what I've read, you reach out to the graduate admissions office themselves rather than the particular professors or anything. And, of course, thank them for their feedback. I'll see if I can ask around and how other folks went about it and what questions they asked because I figured all of us can use that information.