Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

5 minutes ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

Congrats to those who have been accepted!!! ?

By any chance, does anyone have heard back from Yale, NYU or JHU? Interviews maybe?

I've heard nothing from any of the other schools I've applied to, which includes Yale and NYU (ISAW).

Just wanted to inform everyone that the Bridge MA in Classics at Cornell is still taking applications until March 1st, in case anyone wanted to look into that (the start date would be June 1st). 

https://classics.cornell.edu/bridge-ma-classics-initiative-support-diversity

I was accepted to the University at Buffalo PhD program! As of this moment, they said no funding is available, but that should that change, they would be back in touch. So fingers crossed it does change haha!

Edited by exhaustionandtoast

1 hour ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

I was accepted to the University at Buffalo PhD program! As of this moment, they said no funding is available, but that should that change, they would be back in touch. So fingers crossed it does change haha!

That's excellent, I hope you get the funding!!!

19 minutes ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

Congratulations!!! :D

6 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

That's excellent, I hope you get the funding!!!

Just now, Kylix said:

Congratulations! I also hope the money comes through for you. 

Is this a program that used to have full funding but now doesn't due to budgetary/COVID issues? Or do you think it's that they only have funding for say 2 candidates and are accepting 5?

Thank you!! As far as I can tell, they usually fund 3-4 students, (I'm not sure what a typical accepted cohort size is). On the website it says that they are limited in funding this year because of covid. I'm hopeful that maybe even if I don't get funding for my first year, I can get it for 2 and beyond. I'm going in straight from BA, so we'll see. I plan to call them Monday and get more info, so I'll update when I have more info!

1 hour ago, Wafflotron said:

Anyone else just feel like going, "AHHHHHHH"? this waiting is killing me

Yes, yes I do. I didn't apply to a lot of programs and so far I've been accepted by one and rejected by another. But now I get to wait two or three weeks or possibly more on funding info for the one that accepted me. 

Are we having fun yet?!

5 hours ago, Wafflotron said:

Anyone else just feel like going, "AHHHHHHH"? this waiting is killing me

I am the most impatient person for general things but this waiting has been torturous. I've only heard back from one of eight places thus far, and I keep volunteering for things to keep me busy enough I can't look at my email every 10 seconds. 

[Insert "I hate waiting" Princess Bride gif here]

So, not to be a Negative Nelly and rather a more practical person, has anyone considered what they'll be doing if they get rejections from everywhere? I'm trying to be realistic, especially because I applied to so many institutions that already get tons of applicants in a normal year, but have gotten so much more this cycle with smaller cohorts. So far, my only ideas are to do the Belfast Summer School for Greek because they'll be doing via Zoom this year, which means I'll be able to do it (vs. actually going to Northern Ireland). I'm considering whether I'll be able to swing any digs, but uncertain how travel will look, and costs and whatnot. I'm exceedingly stubborn, so I'll reapply next cycle if I get in nowhere but this waiting period has me sweating on what to do in the event of all rejections.

Why don't grad programs have a fixed notification date for both admission and funding, and then also a set student  commitment deadline--just like undergraduate programs do? It's crazy that you get an acceptance without the funding information but they want you to decide whether you're coming or not. "Hey, buy my great product, but I won't tell you the price after until you sign the purchase contract."

I was accepted to one museum studies program in mid December but they won't let me know about money until after I tell them I'm coming for sure. Then last week I got a classics acceptance too, which is nice, but funding info won't come until (much?) later. Without all the data, the offers are not very meaningful. It's maddening!

2 minutes ago, Kylix said:

Why don't grad programs have a fixed notification date for both admission and funding, and then also a set student  commitment deadline--just like undergraduate programs do? It's crazy that you get an acceptance without the funding information but they want you to decide whether you're coming or not. "Hey, buy my great product, but I won't tell you the price after until you sign the purchase contract."

I was accepted to one museum studies program in mid December but they won't let me know about money until after I tell them I'm coming for sure. Then last week I got a classics acceptance too, which is nice, but funding info won't come until (much?) later. Without all the data, the offers are not very meaningful. It's maddening!

That's incredibly frustrating! I self-funded my Museum Studies M.A. (not the best idea, but I did get some external scholarships), but I would be more keen to know about the funding before I went! I don't understand why they would hold that information, especially this year, when we know funding might be tight! And half the time if you inquire for more information, it's difficult to get them to tell you anything. 

I'm not really sure of the logic behind it (because personally it sounds illogical to me), but I'm trying to make sure I wait until I have all of my offers with as much information as possible before I make my decision, but I know that that's not possible for everyone.