Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

47 minutes ago, Lucius Ambulus Caelo said:

Hey, does anybody have any thoughts on how long after submitting an application is it acceptable to call/email the department for an update?

Well, I know most American unis weren't even reviewing applications until January after the submission date of December 15th. I actually wasn't going to reach out to anyone unless I didn't hear from them until mid-March, personally. I submitted applications as early as September knowing they wouldn't be reviewed until far after the fact. I'm not sure what the etiquette is and it probably varies with each institution. It's one of those unspoken things that I wish more people talked about because it's so difficult to navigate. 

10 hours ago, peploskore said:

I had this same question. I’ve gotten one rejection already and while brutal feeling I’d love to know if there is an appropriate way to reach back out for advice on strengthening future application cycles! I feel like enough work and effort went into each app that it’s completely fair to ask for feedback, I’m just not sure how to go about it. 

Hi, I've reached out to professors after rejection multiple times (this is my 3rd app cycle, lol). I only reached out to those who I had Skype meetings or phone calls with in the Fall. They were all super nice and incredibly helpful. They will almost never speak to specifics (you won't hear, "we didn't accept you because of X reason") but they advised on next steps and how to strengthen my profile. It's also nice because I feel like they're a bit more "real" than when you speak with them prior to applying. Their advice led me to do the MA that I did, so definitely worth it. That being said, a couple I reached out to never responded, which I also totally understand - it's a little awkward!

Good luck!

8 minutes ago, PeppermintTea said:

Hey! I got an interview-ish email from Toronto and saw a few other people put the same on the results page; has anyone had their Zoom chat yet? 

May I ask:
1) Did you get the email today?
2) Did you apply from the US or Canada, or another country?
3) Did you apply to a specific specialization within the Classics dept. i.e. the Mediterranean Archaeology Collaborative Specialization (MACS)?

18 hours ago, RomeSweetRome said:

Hi, I've reached out to professors after rejection multiple times (this is my 3rd app cycle, lol). I only reached out to those who I had Skype meetings or phone calls with in the Fall. They were all super nice and incredibly helpful. They will almost never speak to specifics (you won't hear, "we didn't accept you because of X reason") but they advised on next steps and how to strengthen my profile. It's also nice because I feel like they're a bit more "real" than when you speak with them prior to applying. Their advice led me to do the MA that I did, so definitely worth it. That being said, a couple I reached out to never responded, which I also totally understand - it's a little awkward!

Good luck!

Thank you so much, this helps lots! This is my second cycle but the first time around I only did MAs and it felt a lot more straightforward - with PhDs I feel so out of my element so I really appreciate it. 

So, I never got an interview at Cornell or anything, but I have a friend currently attending and she suggested that I reach out to the professor I was interested in working with (Dr. Caitlín E. Barrett) to ask for her feedback. She was really friendly about it and gave me some useful feedback about my application. Strengthening the writing sample before a re-application was her suggestion, which is understandable because it's something we can expand on and improve more than other things out of our control at this point (such as transcripts or letters of recommendation). Just figured I'd pass that along - if you're thinking of reapplying next cycle again, definitely focus on a stronger/edited writing sample. 

Of course, she also told me what a lot of us have already talked about: they received far more applications than usual because other institutions weren't accepting anyone at all this cycle and were taking a small cohort than normal as well, so even though they would have liked to accept more students, they couldn't. Hope this helps anyone who also got a rejection from Cornell.

Hello, everyone! I just got my first acceptance.

Although I am accepted into the program, the email that I got did not say anything about funding. I won't be going to graduate school without funding, so it's really important! Does anyone know if they often accept people and then contact them about funding separately, or does the absence of anything in my acceptance email mean that I do not have funding through this program?

7 minutes ago, TaciturnTales said:

Hello, everyone! I just got my first acceptance.

Although I am accepted into the program, the email that I got did not say anything about funding. I won't be going to graduate school without funding, so it's really important! Does anyone know if they often accept people and then contact them about funding separately, or does the absence of anything in my acceptance email mean that I do not have funding through this program?

Sometimes they will have funding information to come after an acceptance. If they didn't mention it at all in the email (or if they indicated in the email that a more formal letter is to follow), I think it would be reasonable to follow up and ask if the funding information would be given in the official acceptance letter.

7 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Sometimes they will have funding information to come after an acceptance. If they didn't mention it at all in the email (or if they indicated in the email that a more formal letter is to follow), I think it would be reasonable to follow up and ask if the funding information would be given in the official acceptance letter.

It looks like the email is an exact copy of the official letter, which they also attached to the email. The email/letter was sent by the department's Director of Graduate Studies, so I guess I should maybe contact them about funding?

9 minutes ago, TaciturnTales said:

It looks like the email is an exact copy of the official letter, which they also attached to the email. The email/letter was sent by the department's Director of Graduate Studies, so I guess I should maybe contact them about funding?

Yeah, inquire to the DGS about when you'll know about the funding package. Congratulations on your acceptance, too, btw!

10 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Yeah, inquire to the DGS about when you'll know about the funding package. Congratulations on your acceptance, too, btw!

Thank you! I'm excited, but trying not to get too excited. Without funding I'm going nowhere very quickly. x_x Thanks for your advice!

Just now, TaciturnTales said:

Thank you! I'm excited, but trying not to get too excited. Without funding I'm going nowhere very quickly. x_x Thanks for your advice!

You're welcome! I'm in the same boat. Full funding or I'm not going anywhere. 
But! I've heard from some other students that they managed to negotiate more funding if necessary. Someone told me they were choosing between a school in Massachusetts and one in California and told the California school that though they were the first choice, the funding was more matched in Massachusetts needed for cost of living, etc. The California school upped the offer and they were able to go there instead of Massachusetts. 

3 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

You're welcome! I'm in the same boat. Full funding or I'm not going anywhere. 
But! I've heard from some other students that they managed to negotiate more funding if necessary. Someone told me they were choosing between a school in Massachusetts and one in California and told the California school that though they were the first choice, the funding was more matched in Massachusetts needed for cost of living, etc. The California school upped the offer and they were able to go there instead of Massachusetts. 

Wow, I hope that happens to me and you! 

It's so frustrating, as I started applying to graduate programs for Fall 2019 and then had to defer to Fall 2020 in order to finish my second bachelor's degree. Then there was a pandemic and the funding that I almost got was pulled. Now here I am again. The thought of having to defer for another year is very disheartening and, oddly enough, I do not appear to be getting any younger.

I just got accepted to an MA program in classical archaeology, and similarly the letter said nothing whatsoever about funding. Like you all, I won't attend without funding. Loans seem a bad idea when entry level jobs for people with a masters are only paying $32-34,000.  I am assuming I didn't get an assistantship or they would have included that offer. But the catalog is vague on the topic, so who knows.

Congratulations!  Toronto is a fantastic university!

Also, I emailed the admin of the MA program to which I was just admitted.  She said funding decisions have not been made yet and will be sent out later.  So yes, assistantship and fellowship offers can come separately from the acceptance letter. Phew!  There's still hope. 

Edited by Kylix
Add update

2 hours ago, TaciturnTales said:

Wow, I hope that happens to me and you! 

It's so frustrating, as I started applying to graduate programs for Fall 2019 and then had to defer to Fall 2020 in order to finish my second bachelor's degree. Then there was a pandemic and the funding that I almost got was pulled. Now here I am again. The thought of having to defer for another year is very disheartening and, oddly enough, I do not appear to be getting any younger.

That IS extremely frustrating! I'm crossing my fingers for you to get a fully funded spot somewhere!!