Fall 2021 Applicants

ClassicsCandidate

I'm in the same boat as most of you. Not knowing when we'll hear back is the worst. I'm just trying to focus on the fact that the University of Chicago said I would know by mid-February and hoping other schools will notify me around that time. Otherwise, I'm throwing myself into work for the most part and watching way more movies and television than I usually do ? Trying to pretend grad school doesn't exist is definitely a challenge right now!

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought I should add in my news.

On Tuesday I was invited to UCLA's 'virtual recruitment' event which runs for 3 days towards the end of February. I was told that decisions would be made the week after. On Wednesday I was accepted into UNC's PhD program without an interview (ahhhh!) and no clear idea of funding. Still waiting to hear back from 4 other programs. Best of luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, Persae said:

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I thought I should add in my news.

On Tuesday I was invited to UCLA's 'virtual recruitment' event which runs for 3 days towards the end of February. I was told that decisions would be made the week after. On Wednesday I was accepted into UNC's PhD program without an interview (ahhhh!) and no clear idea of funding. Still waiting to hear back from 4 other programs. Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck with your UCLA recruitment meeting! Hope you hear back from the others soon :3  

Congrats, @Persae!!! And best of luck with UCLA!l!

I am also waiting to hear back from UChicago, NYU, Yale and Toronto, but so far I wasn't invited to any interviews...

Sorry, may I ask what does a 'virtual recruitment' mean? I was only "prepared" for interviews, I think I have never heard about recruitment days before.

@ClassicsApp21 I also applied to UChicago! I haven't heard anything besides the email that they have started reviewing applications. Hopefully we'll get more info soon!

This is how the virtual recruitment was described to me: "This event will give us a chance to get to know you a little, and to have you meet a selection of faculty and students in the program. You will have an opportunity to sit in on our graduate classes (via Zoom) and learn about our program, housing, life in LA, and our campus via a series of videos and discussions." To me, this seems to be their COVID-safe alternative to an open house/prospective visits. 

14 hours ago, ClassicsApp21 said:

Congrats, @Persae!!! And best of luck with UCLA!l!

I am also waiting to hear back from UChicago, NYU, Yale and Toronto, but so far I wasn't invited to any interviews...

Sorry, may I ask what does a 'virtual recruitment' mean? I was only "prepared" for interviews, I think I have never heard about recruitment days before.

I'm waiting to hear back from everyone too; I applied to Chicago, NYU, and Yale as well. Maybe some of us will be in the same cohort! I haven't gotten any interview requests, either. Some places will admit without an interview, though, so don't fret too much. 

No better way to kick off the anxiety of the season than with an offer of admission! I'd been telling myself (relatively successfully) that I shouldn't expect any decisions until Feb/Mar, and so I'd managed to avoid a lot of anxiety and dread for the time being. But I heard today that I'd been accepted into UC Boulder's Classics MA program! I'm 16th on the waitlist for funding though, and I thought that Boulder would be more of a safety school. While I'm thrilled to know I'll at least be going somewhere for grad school, now comes all the self-doubt and anxiety about all the other applications. 16th on the waitlist is also somewhat intriguing- it sounds like there were a lot of applicants and a lot of offers of admission. Just letting you guys know, am I right to think that maybe Classics has also seen a surge in applications this season?

4 minutes ago, Wafflotron said:

No better way to kick off the anxiety of the season than with an offer of admission! I'd been telling myself (relatively successfully) that I shouldn't expect any decisions until Feb/Mar, and so I'd managed to avoid a lot of anxiety and dread for the time being. But I heard today that I'd been accepted into UC Boulder's Classics MA program! I'm 16th on the waitlist for funding though, and I thought that Boulder would be more of a safety school. While I'm thrilled to know I'll at least be going somewhere for grad school, now comes all the self-doubt and anxiety about all the other applications. 16th on the waitlist is also somewhat intriguing- it sounds like there were a lot of applicants and a lot of offers of admission. Just letting you guys know, am I right to think that maybe Classics has also seen a surge in applications this season?

Congratulations! I wish I could get into Boulder. lol I really hope there isn't a surge of applicants this cycle, because if so I'm probably screwed. I can't afford graduate school without funding.

1 hour ago, Wafflotron said:

Congrats! I applied to Boulder but I haven't heard anything yet. Now I'm so nervous to hear back haha but fingers crossed! and again, congrats!

2 hours ago, exhaustionandtoast said:

Congrats! I applied to Boulder but I haven't heard anything yet. Now I'm so nervous to hear back haha but fingers crossed! and again, congrats!

Best of luck! After receiving another email from the professor who informed me it sounds like they're making a lot of offers- probably 40 something. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that they're still sending emails and notifications.

Hi y'all!

Congrats, @Wafflotron, I've heard so many nice things about Colorado!

Thank you@Persaefor sharing with us what a virtual recruitment is, it sounds super interesting!

And thank you all for sharing how you've been dealing with the wait. I feel much better now, I think I've accepted that anxiety is part of the process lol

Edited by ClassicsApp21

19 minutes ago, Catalystica said:

Yeah, concluding I didn't make UCLA if I didn't get invited to that weekend interview, which is depressing. Counting them as a rejection I'm 2r and haven't heard anything from the last two now. It's taken a few days to come to terms with it.

Don't give up hope! What other rejection have you gotten? 

1 hour ago, Catalystica said:

Yeah, concluding I didn't make UCLA if I didn't get invited to that weekend interview, which is depressing. Counting them as a rejection I'm 2r and haven't heard anything from the last two now. It's taken a few days to come to terms with it.

I'm so sorry! I hope you hear from the other two soon!

I've heard from no one yet, personally.

3 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Did they indicate funding offers to follow or just tell you that there was no funding available? 

The letter said that they'd sent separate emails to those with funding offers or waitlist funding offers and if you didn't get one of those it's unlikely that they'll have funding for you ?