Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

3 minutes ago, StudentUSA said:

The guy in the info session mentioned that only two people will be reading each application, are they like rate each essay with a score then add them together? and I did disclose my political leanings (unwise), what if mine don't align with these two people? 

I have no idea how the review process works, but I think it’s fine to disclose your political leaning — no one is going to judge that against you. The likely misalignment would be if you indicate you’re on the conservative side of the spectrum, but it also means you could bring some interesting perspectives to a most likely liberal campus.

Edited by izzywho

1 minute ago, InternationalStudent said:

168 GRE Q score (169 V), did not work for a developmental org but did work in financial policy (through a third party org, not directly in a legislative body) and tried to angle it in that direction. Didn't do quant heavy stuff in college (still not sure if my political science background might affect me negatively) but afterwards did take multivariate calc, linear algebra, and real analysis (through Harvard Extension, not sure how they perceive that. Some say it's good some say it's worthless ?‍♂️ I personally thought the classes felt exactly like normal college classes, except online).

SOP is good, I think my policy analysis essay is very, very strong. Didn't get to read LORs but I don't have a reason to think they weren't strong.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow or next week...

Wow, I'd be very surprised if you don't get in. Keep us posted!

2 minutes ago, InternationalStudent said:

168 GRE Q score (169 V), did not work for a developmental org but did work in financial policy (through a third party org, not directly in a legislative body) and tried to angle it in that direction. Didn't do quant heavy stuff in college (still not sure if my political science background might affect me negatively) but afterwards did take multivariate calc, linear algebra, and real analysis (through Harvard Extension, not sure how they perceive that. Some say it's good some say it's worthless ?‍♂️ I personally thought the classes felt exactly like normal college classes, except online).

SOP is good, I think my policy analysis essay is very, very strong. Didn't get to read LORs but I don't have a reason to think they weren't strong.

Haha, that's some crazy GRE score you've got there! Not pretending in the least to be an adcoms member, but your application seems very strong. Did HKS ask for a policy analysis essay this time?

7 minutes ago, InternationalStudent said:

Christ almighty - congrats on those GRE scores. Is that normal for HKS applicants?? I applied to MC/MPA and it took a Herculean effort for me to score a 158Q, 157V. 

3 minutes ago, sup5505 said:

Wow, I'd be very surprised if you don't get in. Keep us posted!

Haha I'm trying to keep my hopes low because I do have things working against me (ok GPA that probably isn't up to HKS standards, not bad by any means but not impressive either; very few econ courses and a B in one of them; haven't worked in the WB/IDB/J-PAL/etc like most of the people I see with an MPA/ID degree on linkedin). Also I got rejected by the Yale IDE yesterday so who knows.. 

3 minutes ago, AnoIchi said:

Haha, that's some crazy GRE score you've got there! Not pretending in the least to be an adcoms member, but your application seems very strong. Did HKS ask for a policy analysis essay this time?

Yeah: PUBLIC POLICY ESSAY Describe a public policy or public management problem related to international development and analyze a range of solutions. (750 word limit)

They asked for four essays total (and I wrote 2 more for the financial aid app) which I thought was a lot, especially considering no other program I applied to asked for more than one. But hey, I've been wanting to get into the MPA/ID for a very long time and I still haven't found another program like it in the world so hope it was worth it.

1 minute ago, William_1982 said:

Christ almighty - congrats on those GRE scores. Is that normal for HKS applicants?? I applied to MC/MPA and it took a Herculean effort for me to score a 158Q, 157V. 

I think it's normal for MPA/ID applicants, probably not for the others. Seems to be the only program in HKS that didn't waive the requirement, and they expect you to be scoring above the 75th percentile. 

1 hour ago, InternationalStudent said:

Haha I'm trying to keep my hopes low because I do have things working against me (ok GPA that probably isn't up to HKS standards, not bad by any means but not impressive either; very few econ courses and a B in one of them; haven't worked in the WB/IDB/J-PAL/etc like most of the people I see with an MPA/ID degree on linkedin). Also I got rejected by the Yale IDE yesterday so who knows.. 

Yeah: PUBLIC POLICY ESSAY Describe a public policy or public management problem related to international development and analyze a range of solutions. (750 word limit)

They asked for four essays total (and I wrote 2 more for the financial aid app) which I thought was a lot, especially considering no other program I applied to asked for more than one. But hey, I've been wanting to get into the MPA/ID for a very long time and I still haven't found another program like it in the world so hope it was worth it.

I was looking into IDE as well, didn't end up applying.

Yale IDE is not well managed AFAIK. They completely messed up with deferrals last year, so the program is probably taking few students this year. When you have such a bad situation you probably want your applicants to know. And the program is for people who want to be a research assistant/phd vs. HKS wants their students to create an impact. All that to say is, don't be discouraged. Your GRE score is amazing. I'm sure HKS can discover your talent and has more to offer. Do you have offers from other schools?

Edited by StudentUSA

1 hour ago, InternationalStudent said:

ID programs depend on the cohort too. Which country do you specialize in? 

If you were interviewed for any of the fellowships, you can definitely get in

7 minutes ago, StudentUSA said:

I was looking into IDE as well, didn't end up applying.

Yale IDE is not well managed AFAIK. They completely messed up with deferrals last year, so the program is probably taking few students (if any) this year. When you have such a bad situation you probably want the applicants to know. And the program is for people who want to be a research assistant/phd vs. HKS wants their students to create an impact. All that to say is, don't be discouraged. Your GRE score is amazing. I'm sure HKS can discover your talent and has more to offer. Do you have offers from other schools?

This is actually really encouraging, thanks! How'd you find out about the deferrals? That kinda explains why almost no one got admitted in the GC results page. 

And yeah, I've been really lucky with my applications. Got admitted into the LSE MPA (which has a development track but nowhere near as quant/econ intensive as the MPA/ID), IHEID International Economics, SAIS MIEF and Barcelona GSE for Development. Probably going to IHEID if HKS doesn't work out, they've got pretty solid placements into IFIs.

Did you also apply to the MPA/ID?

Edited by InternationalStudent

2 minutes ago, StudentUSA said:

ID programs depend on the cohort too. Which country do you specialize in? 

If you were interviewed for any of the fellowships, you can definitely get in

My career has generally been Latin America focused, but the past couple of years have been specifically centered around my small country in the region. 

I wasn't interviewed for any fellowships but I also didn't apply to any of the ones that had an interview stage. 

1 minute ago, InternationalStudent said:

This is actually really encouraging, thanks! How'd you find out about the deferrals? That kinda explains why almost no one got admitted in the GC results page. 

And yeah, I've been really lucky with my applications. Got admitted into the LSE MPA (which has a development track but nowhere near as quant/econ intensive as the MPA/ID), IHEID International Economics, SAIS MIEF and Barcelona GSE for Development. Probably going to IHEID if HKS doesn't work out, they've got pretty solid placements into IFIs.

Did you also apply to the MPA/ID?

Where is the IDE results page on GC? (I'm new to the forum)

I work in development and here people always talk about these programs. I don't know how they got the deferral number either because I wasn't not particularly interested in IDE. 

Yes, I applied to MPA-ID

2 minutes ago, StudentUSA said:

Where is the IDE results page on GC? (I'm new to the forum)

I work in development and here people always talk about these programs. I don't know how they got the deferral number either because I wasn't not particularly interested in IDE. 

Yes, I applied to MPA-ID

At the top of this page click on Results and look up Yale Development

And nice to see someone else here that applied to the ID program! Almost everyone else is an MPA/MPP candidate.

Paid 3,000K deposit & deferred from Columbia SIPA to Fall 2021. Waiting for HKS MC/MPA decision. I switched my application from MPP to MC/MPA, since I thought I "wasted" a year to avoid online-learning at SIPA. Got scholarship from home country - at cost. My concern about HKS MC/MPA is I only have 9 months to optimize my attendance in HKs. On the other hand, I think 2 years at SIPA & NY will give more holistic experience academically & socially. Any advice?

p.s.: Harvard brand is highly recognized & respected in my institution

4 hours ago, izzywho said:

I have no idea how the review process works, but I think it’s fine to disclose your political leaning — no one is going to judge that against you. The likely misalignment would be if you indicate you’re on the conservative side of the spectrum, but it also means you could bring some interesting perspectives to a most likely liberal campus.

I agree with this. Additionally, a friend of mine is a 2nd year in the MPP class and says that there has been much discussion amongst the administration and faculty that they are not doing a good enough job admitting people from across the political spectrum and that it has been heavily favoring very progressive candidates.  This is why they added the political spectrum question to the application this year.  Disclosing your place on the spectrum may very well help you greatly. 

Edited by MPPNYC

9 minutes ago, MPPNYC said:

I agree with this. Additionally, a friend of mine is a 2nd year in the MPP class and says that there has been much discussion amongst the administration and faculty that they are not doing a good enough job admitting people from across the political spectrum and that it has been heavily favoring very progressive candidates.  This is why they added the political spectrum question to the application this year.  Disclosing your place on the spectrum may very well help you greatly. 

This is dumb. Maybe I should've said I'm a die hard Trump supporter in my app. I wonder if they give out extra points for storming the Capitol.

Just now, HKSApp21 said:

This is dumb. Maybe I should've said I'm a die hard Trump supporter in my app. I wonder if they give out extra points for storming the Capitol.

Uhhh, this definitely wasn't my point.

Regardless, that's what people at the school are saying, rather than a message board of prospective students guessing outcomes. 

Just now, MPPNYC said:

Uhhh, this definitely wasn't my point.

Regardless, that's what people at the school are saying, rather than a message board of prospective students guessing outcomes. 

Wasn't saying you're dumb, I'm saying the school's policy is dumb. Like, maybe there's a reason that choosing the best applicants has led to progressive leaning cohorts. I'm just astounded that they're giving any weight to the political spectrum question

14 minutes ago, HKSApp21 said:

Wasn't saying you're dumb, I'm saying the school's policy is dumb. Like, maybe there's a reason that choosing the best applicants has led to progressive leaning cohorts. I'm just astounded that they're giving any weight to the political spectrum question

That's an interesting thought. As a graduate of one of the nation's top colleges that happens to be more on the conservative side, I have to say that I've met many people who are die-hard conservatives (due to their family background, socio-economic status, religious background, etc) and wouldn't care for rational thinking, and I've met some of the kindest & most intellectually rigorous people who identify as conservatives. I don't think the committee would give anyone a "pass" just because they say they are conservative -- and HKS would definitely not admit people who stormed the nation's capitol. But I could see why someone who's dedicated to using their political and moral compass to guide them in civil service might be appealing to HKS.

Edited by izzywho