Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

50 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

Why? What can they possibly be doing to push it back that long 

Chill out. I seen life from the other end (University staff). It is pretty rough because you have students, faculty, administrative, other staff, and of late - parents wanting something from you at once.

So things they could be working on.

1. Figuring out what to do with the deferrals 

2. Triangulating projections of intake and aligning standards accordingly

3. Figuring out the budget available for scholarships (possibly even negotiating with the University on your behalf to minimize the budget squeeze)

4. Their other jobs (a lot of times admissions staff are dual hatted with 2ndary responsibilities). Given the unique situation of this year, some of those 2ndary responsibilities might mean a lot more.

5. Doing stuff the University wants them to do, completely out of control of the college. 

17 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Chill out. I seen life from the other end (University staff). It is pretty rough because you have students, faculty, administrative, other staff, and of late - parents wanting something from you at once.

So things they could be working on.

1. Figuring out what to do with the deferrals 

2. Triangulating projections of intake and aligning standards accordingly

3. Figuring out the budget available for scholarships (possibly even negotiating with the University on your behalf to minimize the budget squeeze)

4. Their other jobs (a lot of times admissions staff are dual hatted with 2ndary responsibilities). Given the unique situation of this year, some of those 2ndary responsibilities might mean a lot more.

5. Doing stuff the University wants them to do, completely out of control of the college. 

As GSG has aptly placed it, and much more diplomatically than myself, but chill.

This going forward is a brand new world, where thought and reliance on how the process previously occurred will at best be fraught with peril, and at worse an entirely inaccurate reflection on how things will now be or how you wish them to be....

1 hour ago, Boolakanaka said:

As GSG has aptly placed it, and much more diplomatically than myself, but chill.

This going forward is a brand new world, where thought and reliance on how the process previously occurred will at best be fraught with peril, and at worse an entirely inaccurate reflection on how things will now be or how you wish them to be....

You sound like the head of Harvard Kennedy  admissions with that philosophical bit 

There's a HKS blogpost from September 28th which mentioned "The master’s programs admission application will be available in early October and the admission application deadline will be in early December."

https://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/630500794799702016/2021-application-cycle-fellowshipscholarship

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 4.00.02 PM.png

They haven't released the app yet, but they just posted the questions to their blog.

Big thing to note is answers can't be more than 500 words. In previous years the limit has been 600 words.

https://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/631172997073567744/2021-application-long-term-planning-series-post

Edited by joshyboy

5 hours ago, joshyboy said:

They haven't released the app yet, but they just posted the questions to their blog.

Big thing to note is answers can't be more than 500 words. In previous years the limit has been 600 words.

https://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/631172997073567744/2021-application-long-term-planning-series-post

Still no word on any other changes to the applications 

9 hours ago, joshyboy said:

Is the personal history/diversity essay new? 

I know that they ask for 75th percentile for the MPA-ID program which is far more quant heavy than the MPP, so I think aiming for that would be your best bet. Other than that, haven't seen hard stats floating around on the internet. 

Hi everyone

A prospective international applicant here. Unsure about applying to HKS because of an engineering background and 0 professional or academic background in PP or IR. Would be really helpful if I could get some insights on the kind of profiles sent.

25 minutes ago, aatrip said:

Hi everyone

A prospective international applicant here. Unsure about applying to HKS because of an engineering background and 0 professional or academic background in PP or IR. Would be really helpful if I could get some insights on the kind of profiles sent.

That actually improves your chances because it makes you more unique. It doesn't matter if your background relates to policy or IR. You just have to show academic ability, genuine intrerest, and ability to make an impact in an organization you are in.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, aatrip said:

Hi everyone

I was on a HKS Webinar yesterday and they explicitly cited how they like different backgrounds, and how they have a Nuclear Engineer in their current cohort.