Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

Hi, 

I know this thread is technically for MPP applicants, not MPA applicants, but I would love some guidance, since there are so few HKS MPA threads. 

Technically Harvard Kennedy School says 2-year MPA students only need 4 graduate level courses to apply for the program. However, they say on their site and an accepted admissions video that the program is designed for students with another graduate degree. 

So, could I, an individual with only a bachelor's degree, apply and be accepted to the HKS MPA program? I would love any insight into this. I have looked into this program and I feel like it so closely aligns with my career goals, but I do not want to waste my time, if I would not be considered. 

3 hours ago, SeekingMPA said:

Hi, 

I know this thread is technically for MPP applicants, not MPA applicants, but I would love some guidance, since there are so few HKS MPA threads. 

Technically Harvard Kennedy School says 2-year MPA students only need 4 graduate level courses to apply for the program. However, they say on their site and an accepted admissions video that the program is designed for students with another graduate degree. 

So, could I, an individual with only a bachelor's degree, apply and be accepted to the HKS MPA program? I would love any insight into this. I have looked into this program and I feel like it so closely aligns with my career goals, but I do not want to waste my time, if I would not be considered. 

When I emailed them back in the summer, they said the graduate-course requirement is a strict requirement to be eligible for the MPA Program - "HKS does not offer summer courses, and you must meet the requirements when applying unless you are applying simultaneously to a concurrent degree program. In this case you would need to start at your concurrent degree school and complete four graduate-level courses before starting at HKS." 

Hope that's helpful!

1 hour ago, EscapingBrexit said:

I'm pretty sure I read something during the process where they explicitly said fellowship interviews are not indicative of admission. Maybe it was another school. I know Georgetown said that about one of their fellowships.

It can't hurt though, right?

I thought if you get the fellowship then your chances for admission go up by a lot?

7 minutes ago, mpp_app2021 said:

During one of the Q&A sessions, they said a few times that the two processes (admission and financial aid) are completely separate. 

The financial aid and admissions processes are separated, but I find it hard to believe that you could be a CPL fellowship finalist and not also be on the short list for admissions. 

20 minutes ago, sd9000 said:

The financial aid and admissions processes are separated, but I find it hard to believe that you could be a CPL fellowship finalist and not also be on the short list for admissions. 

You can be finalist and still not get in for sure. Think of the fellowship as existing more on the financial aid side of things then the admissions side of things. 

I'm glad I'm in good company with everyone who's awaiting CPL interview emails...nerve-wracking! I keep thinking, "Can't get much later in February than this!" so it's good to know they went out on the 24th last year. I'm a MC/MPA applicant and there don't seem to be many of us on here, so hope you don't mind me crashing your forum. ?

27 minutes ago, Emrada said:

I'm glad I'm in good company with everyone who's awaiting CPL interview emails...nerve-wracking! I keep thinking, "Can't get much later in February than this!" so it's good to know they went out on the 24th last year. I'm a MC/MPA applicant and there don't seem to be many of us on here, so hope you don't mind me crashing your forum. ?

Should we email them or do we wait?

2 minutes ago, lisbonb said:

Did anyone receive an email from CPL acknowledging receipt of their fellowship application??  Last year, they sent an acknowledgement email around February 4th, but I did not receive one this year.

CPL.PNG

They say on the CPL FAQ that they are not sending out confirmations this year of application receipt due to "high volume." 

27 minutes ago, MPP21E said:

Should we email them or do we wait?

2 minutes ago, sd9000 said:

They say on the CPL FAQ that they are not sending out confirmations this year of application receipt due to "high volume." 

Ahhhh..missed that. Thanks for sharing!