Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

Question for ya'll.

HKS just added a new blog post stating that the "Optional Statement" is mandatory if you've decided not to submit your GRE score due to COVID related reasons. 

Though I took the GRE, I decided not to submit it to HKS cause I'd prefer to show my quant knowledge through my work experience of 5 years. 

Since my reasoning isn't strictly COVID based, would I need to speak to it in my Optional Statement?

I have already completed my Optional Statement on a something I faced during my undergraduate time, thus space is limited. 

Leaning towards not saying anything, but always good to gauge others as well. 

That 158 on Quants is a bit less than what admissions team would consider impressive, however it should be in their acceptable range. Do ensure that some other parts of your application are able to demonstrate your quantitative abilities. 322 overall is decent with that great 164 Verbal. Any score in the range of 320+ should be fine. My advice would be:

Acceptable scores: Q 157+, V 155+

Impressive scores: Q 162+, V 159+

Disclaimer: Scores perception and emphasis will depend on several factors like how long you have been out of school, educational background, GPA, etc. For someone who has been out of school for more than 8-10 years, this range would be quite different. So the range given above is just indicative. The following post from HKS admissions blog would serve as a good reference:

https://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/178748574381/fall-2018-news-and-notes-post-2

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Twiste said:

@Yass, is there a recording available of the first session?

It's best to reach out to the two organizers that are listed on the Google form. Their email addresses are also listed there. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Twiste said:

Is anyone here looking into HKS's work in digital governance? If so, I'd love to just share some ideas and get feedback!

Yep, me! Digital governance, but also the intersection of technology and policy to tackle disinformation in media. Feel free to DM me, lets talk!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2711383 said:

Also submitted my application for the MPA/ID! Now we wait... 

This would be a lot less stressful if HKS simply published its acceptance rates....

Realistically, it would be unfair to do so because unlike MBA rates which stay generally stable, MPP (and many other grad schools have acceptance rates that a fluctuate massively on the reg (as in >5 percentage points) depending on the year. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

11 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Realistically, it would be unfair to do so because unlike MBA rates which stay generally stable, MPP (and many other grad schools have acceptance rates that a fluctuate massively on the reg (as in >5 percentage points) depending on the year. 

Even a statistic with a 5 p.p. margin of error would help out with the stress (not to mention that if they published these stats yearly like MBAs do, the historical trend would give us a pretty good idea of the competitiveness of the program). I know literally nothing about how competitive the program I'm applying to is. You always hear that the MPA/ID is more competitive than the MPP, but how much more competitive? HKS listed the MPP acceptance rate in 2010 as 20%. Assuming that is still the case (which it almost definitely isn't), what would "the MPA/ID is more competitive" mean? 18%? 12%? 5%? 

If I knew I was applying to a program that has an 18% acceptance rate I'd feel pretty confident about being above the cut. However, if I knew the acceptance rate was 5% then I'd be happy just kinda forgetting about this until March because admission is pretty much gonna be sheer luck regardless of the strength of my app. Regardless, in either scenario I would know pretty well how comfortable I should be with entertaining the idea of getting into HKS.

As it stands now, I'm pretty much completely in the blind. I have no idea if my application is strong or not, or whether my chances of getting in are decent or if I have no shot. 

Edited by 2711383

1 minute ago, 2711383 said:

Even a statistic with a 5 p.p. margin of error would help out with the stress (not to mention that if they published these stats yearly like MBAs do, the historical trend would give us a pretty good idea of the competitiveness of the program). I know literally nothing about how competitive the program I'm applying to is. You always hear that the MPA/ID is more competitive than the MPP, but how much more competitive? HKS listed the MPP acceptance rate in 2010 as 20%. Assuming that is still the case (which it almost definitely isn't), what would "the MPA/ID is more competitive" mean? 18%? 12%? 5%? 

If I knew I was applying to a program that has an 18% acceptance rate I'd feel pretty confident about being above the cut. However, if I knew the acceptance rate was 5% then I'd be happy just kinda forgetting about this until March because admission is pretty much gonna be sheer luck regardless of the strength of my app. Regardless, in either scenario I would know pretty well how comfortable I should be with entertaining the idea of getting into HKS.

As it stands now, I'm pretty much completely in the blind. I have no idea if my application is strong or not, or whether my chances of getting in are decent or if I have no shot. 

Yeah, imo they should at least publish 5-year averages. The fact that we don't even know the ballpark for nearly any top programs is kind of absurd. Like you said, could be 5% (or less), could be 20% (or more). I understand that they fluctuate from year to year, but surely an average of 5/8/10/whatever years is better than literal radio silence since 2010. 

Just now, 2711383 said:

Even a statistic with a 5 p.p. margin of error would help out with the stress. I know literally nothing about how competitive the program I'm applying to is. You always hear that the MPA/ID is more competitive than the MPP, but how much more competitive? HKS listed the MPP acceptance rate in 2010 as 20%. Assuming that is still the case (which it almost definitely isn't), what would "the MPA/ID is more competitive" mean? 18%? 12%? 5%? 

What most people forget is that schools seek for diversity by type with the previous class as a baseline. For example, if they the previous years had 5 people from teach for America (TFA) in a class, admissions would try to do the same +/- 1, so the competition would really be among those who did TFA. The #1 person from TFA might actually be way less qualified than the #1 person from Capital Hill, but as long was the person is generally competitive, they are competing with their specific type more than competing against the entire applicant pool at large. 

Of course, in order to get a shot to even compete , you need to be deemed generally competitive in the first place to warrant going further analysis. My basic point is th A: It isn't hard to know if you are generally competitive. B. It is next to impossible to know if you are impossible for you type. 

3 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

What most people forget is that schools seek for diversity by type with the previous class as a baseline. For example, if they the previous years had 5 people from teach for America (TFA) in a class, admissions would try to do the same +/- 1, so the competition would really be among those who did TFA. The #1 person from TFA might actually be way less qualified than the #1 person from Capital Hill, but as long was the person is generally competitive, they are competing with their specific type more than competing against the entire applicant pool at large. 

Of course, in order to get a shot to even compete , you need to be deemed generally competitive in the first place to warrant going further analysis. My basic point is th A: It isn't hard to know if you are generally competitive. B. It is next to impossible to know if you are impossible for you type. 

While that might be true for the MPP, I'm not sure if it's the case for the MPA/ID (I apologize in advance to MPP applicants for spamming your thread. Looking at previous years' HKS threads it seems all HKS discussion converges into the MPP thread anyways). For the MPA/ID it seems like they just want quants from developing countries with a policy background. I don't think they have "quotas" for people from TFA/Peace Corps/Congress/etc because their applicants tend to be such a mixed bag kinda similar to MBAs. They'll just take the people they think are most capable of handling the PhD level econ they throw at them.

Edited by 2711383

1 minute ago, 2711383 said:

While that might be true for the MPP, I'm not sure if it's the case for the MPA/ID (I apologize in advance to MPP applicants for spamming your thread. Looking at previous years' HKS threads it seems all HKS discussion converges into the MPP thread anyways). For the MPA/ID it seems like they just want quants from developing countries with a policy background. I don't think they have "quotas" for people from TFA/Peace Corps/Congress/etc because their applicants tend to be such a mixed bag kinda similar to MBAs. They'll just take the people they think are most capable of handling the PhD level econ they throw at them.

They don't have the same types as a massive program like MPP, but they still have a variation of types. It may be based upon geographic background/interest or etc. They also have lower baselining (so instead of +/- 1, maybe more), but it is still the same conceptually. 

I know because I been involved in convos where there is concern that a you have too many applicants interested in XYZ area and not enough interested in XYZ historical space where there may be a major program donor/program connection/etc. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I applied to the MC/MPA. Application was submitted the afternoon of the deadline.

As of today my application still has red Xs beside "All documents have been checked and verified by Office of Admissions" and "TOEFL/IELTS official scores - to be verified by Office of Admissions after deadline".

I am a native English speaker from the US so no need for TOEFL...

Their Dec 15 blog post says we should hear from them soon (if not already) that our app has been finalize and not to email- I will give it until Jan 16 before maybe reaching out.

Any other data points?

Second data point here :) Submitted my MPP application the afternoon it was due too and my application still had red crosses next to “All documents have been verified” and the “GRE score has been verified” entries up until Friday (8th Jan) when I *finally* received the email saying it had all been checked and was good to go. Hope that helps/provides some reassurance that they’re probably still processing yours too :) Sounds like there are a lot of applications to go through this year!