Harvard Kennedy MPP 2021

realist2020

I’m hopeful for the 25th, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the week of the 30th. I have zero insight on this, but I can’t imagine they’re so set on the Thursday thing that they wouldn’t give themselves a few extra days if they need them. 

Edited by William_1982

34 minutes ago, izzywho said:

That's an interesting thought. As a graduate of one of the nation's top colleges that happens to be more on the conservative side, I have to say that I've met many people who are die-hard conservatives (due to their family background, socio-economic status, religious background, etc) and wouldn't care for rational thinking, and I've met some of the kindest & most intellectually rigorous people who identify as conservatives. I don't think the committee would give anyone a "pass" just because they say they are conservative -- and HKS would definitely not admit people who stormed the nation's capitol. But I could see why someone who's dedicated to using their political and moral compass to guide them in civil service might be appealing to HKS.

I agree, I don't think it necessitates lowering the standards.  I think they're acknowledging that their process may be a bit too skewed in one direction, perhaps simply as a matter of being more attracted to certain topics discussed in essays, job experiences as community or union organizers, etc.  My understanding is that the faculty was concerned by a lack of center-left students, as well, so, I don't think it's that they're looking for Far Right extremists to round out the class discussion.

I also think that if you stormed the Capitol, you're unlikely to be seeking higher education at an institution like Harvard, but I suppose anything is possible. 

Again, I don't know any of this from my own personal knowledge; just something a friend shared with me and he could be completely wrong.  That said, it is backed up by the fact that the ideological spectrum question *was* added to the application this year. 

3 hours ago, StudentUSA said:

You mean just the MPA-id program? or how can there be only 45 deferrals for all 3 programs ?

I meant only the MPP. And the 45 are the ones who filled. Obviously, a lot of them didn't. 

So I checked the blogs from the start (2012) till 2020. Sharing a few insights with everyone to help them function in life (I've been there, so I know how miserable these days must have been).

Decision day: 

2012: Tuesday

2013 Wednesday & Friday  (Once upon a time, they used to release MPP/MPA-ID on different dates)

2014 : Thursday

2015-2017 : Wednesday

2018-2020 : Thursday

(Not so much of a Thursday monopoly, is it?)

The sequence of mails leading to D-day have differed over the years, but some core mails have been absolute certainties (The frustrating/scary part is that they haven't even begun yet for this year. Maybe today's the day it starts)

1. Three types of decisions, starting with not admitted

2. Waitlisted

3. Admitted

4. Application update (Basically showing candidates how the screenshot of an application status update will look like in the portal)

5. An informal take on the behind the scenes of the admissions process (Matt's computer, the room, etc)

Look out for 'Decision Process' series of mails. Frankly, I'm confused about the 25th as D-day because all the previous years had multiple entries in this series (15+). If I consider 25th as the date, you should be getting at least 4 mails on consecutive dates starting from 22nd (could be from 20th/21st as well). They usually avoid sending on Sat/Sun, but have done in the past on some occasions. 

Bottom line: If you see a 'Decision Process' blog hitting today, it is safe to assume that the real countdown has begun.

I encourage all to go through the archives to take some stress out and see how it has been over the years. There are pictures and all, which humanizes the admissions process. Gotta feel for Matt and his team.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AnoIchi

5 minutes ago, AnoIchi said:

So I checked the blogs from the start (2012) till 2020. Sharing a few insights with everyone to help them function in life (I've been there, so I know how miserable these days must have been).

Decision day: 

2012: Tuesday

2013 Wednesday & Friday  (Once upon a time, they used to release MPP/MPA-ID on different dates)

2014 : Thursday

2015-2017 : Wednesday

2018-2020 : Thursday

The sequence of mails leading to D-day have differed over the years, but some core mails have been absolute certainties (The frustrating/scary part is that they haven't even begun yet for this year. Maybe today's the day it starts)

1. Three types of decisions, starting with not admitted

2. Waitlisted

3. Admitted

4. Application update (Basically showing candidates how the screenshot of an application status update will look like in the portal)

5. An informal take on the behind the scenes of the admissions process (Matt's computer, the room, etc)

Look out for 'Decision Process' series of mails. Frankly, I'm confused about the 25th as D-day because all the previous years had multiple entries in this series (15+). If I consider 25th as the date, you should be getting at least 4 mails on consecutive dates starting from 22nd (could be from 20th/21st as well). They usually avoid sending on Sat/Sun, but have done in the past on some occasions. 

Bottom line: If you see a 'Decision Process' blog hitting today, it is safe to assume that the real countdown has begun.

I encourage all to go through the archives to take some stress out and see how it has been over the years. There are pictures and all, which humanizes the admissions process. Gotta feel for Matt and his team.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the effort you have put to provide transparency where HKS has totally failed to. I think it'll definitely be Thursday the 25th or Monday the 30th, and I wouldn't rely on any blog post except the one where they tell us how to expect receiving the "decision" email. Everything else is casual banter that they've totally skipped over this admissions cycle, no idea why. 

3 minutes ago, sup5505 said:

Thanks for all the effort you have put to provide transparency where HKS has totally failed to. I think it'll definitely be Thursday the 25th or Monday the 30th, and I wouldn't rely on any blog post except the one where they tell us how to expect receiving the "decision" email. Everything else is casual banter that they've totally skipped over this admissions cycle, no idea why. 

Agreed! The feeling of indignation for this year's folks is validated 100%.

Judging from the things they are yet to do, I feel 30th to be a more feasible date. I hate it and I am praying that I'm proven wrong.

Usually, HKS does a brilliant job with their admission blogs. Systematically prepare the candidates for what's to come and what to keep in mind.

For anyone who wants to go down the blog memory lane, below is the blog archive. Just choose the year you want to see at the top in the 'month' drop down.

https://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/archive

To let you know guys Oxford MPP [ last date for announcement is 19 th March ] . As their trend goes ......They used to declare results one/two week before their last date. But this time its 18th march now and  they are yet to make an announcement . This 2021 is the year of aberrations  

2 hours ago, nkrish21 said:

were you not placing your bets on TODAY 18th MARCH?

I always stay firm on my words. 18 MARCH 1 PM BOSTON TIME . THATS WAS AND IS MY BEST BET 

In that above I was just replying to my fellow Indian that only MONDAY is the special day that has yet not been touched by HKS . Policy makers revolve around possibilities always 

31 minutes ago, nkrish21 said:

Yep - it is kind of hard to focus. Even though my sane mind knows it will be what it will be, and whatever it will be, it will be the best.

Have been refreshing the portal to see if there have been any changes like they said in last years posts. Do you see anything?

I don’t know what should we expect there? Wouldn’t we get an email? I’m just waiting for that and coming back here numerous times a day!

do you think admissions and financial aid office work independently? I’ve come across this many times but it’s unfathomable as to why the latter would want to waste their time on people who didn’t make it in the first place! idk we’ll see in a few hours or days and like you said whatever happens, happens for the best!

1 hour ago, nkrish21 said:

Yep - it is kind of hard to focus. Even though my sane mind knows it will be what it will be, and whatever it will be, it will be the best.

Have been refreshing the portal to see if there have been any changes like they said in last years posts. Do you see anything?

Me too. Today I feel nervous and can't focus..

I guess the admission team will do something different this year..

3 hours ago, midcmpa21 said:

I don’t know what should we expect there? Wouldn’t we get an email? I’m just waiting for that and coming back here numerous times a day!

do you think admissions and financial aid office work independently? I’ve come across this many times but it’s unfathomable as to why the latter would want to waste their time on people who didn’t make it in the first place! idk we’ll see in a few hours or days and like you said whatever happens, happens for the best!

IT IS ONE OF THOSE THINGS -  I AS AN INDIAN SUPPORT MY PAKISTANI FRIEND

16 hours ago, izzywho said:

That's an interesting thought. As a graduate of one of the nation's top colleges that happens to be more on the conservative side, I have to say that I've met many people who are die-hard conservatives (due to their family background, socio-economic status, religious background, etc) and wouldn't care for rational thinking, and I've met some of the kindest & most intellectually rigorous people who identify as conservatives. I don't think the committee would give anyone a "pass" just because they say they are conservative -- and HKS would definitely not admit people who stormed the nation's capitol. But I could see why someone who's dedicated to using their political and moral compass to guide them in civil service might be appealing to HKS.

They may not admit the people who stormed the capitol on the ground, but they and other elite institutions have certainly fomented those who have laid the groundwork for and created the ideology behind the insurrection (steve bannon - HBS, ted cruz - HLS, mike pompeo - HLS, dan crenshaw - HKS etc...)