MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

On 2/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, katfude said:

I really did not like the program itself because of their overall attitude and how separate they keep their majors (I’m super interdisciplinary).. but I was hoping to utilize a research opportunity that is unique only to Yale would influence my art practice like no other school could. Anyway, for anyone disappointed, my good friend just graduated from their MFA program this past year and tried to dissuade me from applying since they did not think that their program was up to the standards that they advertise.

I think that can happen but the name holds weight- https://news.artnet.com/art-world/mfa-degree-successful-artists-620891

This quote is striking- "Yale and the “Power Law”
If you can, is it worth going to graduate school for art, though? The answer is fairly clear. Yes—if you go to Yale.

Over this 50-year period, Yale’s Graduate School of Art has pumped out nearly 10 percent of all our successful artists.

Indeed, if you look at the distribution of schools on the list, it follows what statisticians call a “power law”—it has a tall head and a long tail. As one blog on the concept explains, “power law” distributions are ones in which “a small number of outcomes have dramatically higher values than the remaining population.”

and

"Yale’s weight in this Top 500 is already more than its next two competitors, UCLA and Columbia, combined. Looking just at the MFA-trained artists on this list, a full 17 percent went to Yale."

Maybe things changed since that article came out. Tradition is hard to break.

Edited by SocialKonstruct

4 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

I have applied to atp twice, last time I didn’t get an interview and I had a rejection by late Jan, so if you haven’t received any rejection notice then maybe they are doing two rounds of interviews? You could call and ask :) 

I didn't hear from ATP either. So I guess it's a rejection waiting for me :) my first choice :(

Thank you for being nice to keep me optimistic. 

still looking for others for post-interview response!

wish you all the best for ATP interview!

(it's my very first time to use gradecafe thing, lol, finally not alone !!!  i feel home : ))

8 hours ago, papayalalala said:

Could you tell me when you heard from U of Chicago for an interview? Good luck for your interviews! 

I also interviewed at U of Chicago! They sent out an email to schedule interviews mid-January

1 hour ago, antlore said:

I also interviewed at U of Chicago! They sent out an email to schedule interviews mid-January

I really like that program at U of Chicago. If I recall correctlly I think that Theaster Gates and Laura Litinsky are there... Magic!

3 hours ago, gradschool124 said:

Did eveyones Yale rejection letter include this?:

Please note that while admission decisions for Fall 2021 are final, the committee requested that a message with regards to your potential for future candidacy be included in this letter. Our faculty took interest in your work and ideas noting that with some more development and time, they would like to see you reapply. 

Not me! It’s a good sign for you!

10 hours ago, bearwallow said:

It sounded like they have been doing them in stages and that they will be done inviting people to interview this week. So they are doing rounds, and the rounds will conclude this week. The person I talked to said they’d send me a timeline at tomorrow the latest, I will post it here when I get it! 

Yes pls post it here. Also whom did you interview with

12 hours ago, gradschool124 said:

Did eveyones Yale rejection letter include this?:

Please note that while admission decisions for Fall 2021 are final, the committee requested that a message with regards to your potential for future candidacy be included in this letter. Our faculty took interest in your work and ideas noting that with some more development and time, they would like to see you reapply. 

Mine! But I can’t apply again cause the timeline doesn’t work for me! ?

Edited by NoraEllie

2 minutes ago, incoming first year mfa said:

For those that applied to CalArts, did you upload a video introduction? Is this taking the place of an interview? Has anyone heard anything?

I did. But I’m not sure if that will replace the interview since those videos are supposed to be very short (I think mine was around 90 seconds). When I applied a few years ago, I heard from them on feb 26th

7 minutes ago, XSX said:

Have any painting folks that interviewed with Tyler a few weeks back heard anything since?

I did not interview with painting but this is the response I got when I inquired about admission decisions. 

“Decisions are made over the course of February and March. It is a multipart process that includes different parts of Tyler and Temple, so it sometimes can be a bit drawn out.” 

Just now, berries said:

I did. But I’m not sure if that will replace the interview since those videos are supposed to be very short (I think mine was around 90 seconds). When I applied a few years ago, I heard from them on feb 26th

For such an early deadline that really is a long review period. Makes sense, though

Yeah, I heard from them via email. 

they were extremely relaxed, we talked about my works in my portfolio and the reasons why I am working in the chosen medium (analog), also what inspired me relocating from NYC to Austin and how it is related to my art and the links between my still and video work. 

good luck! Everyone was so nice, and I was so nervous before the interview and the second it started, I relaxed and their conversational tone helped a lot

5 minutes ago, incoming first year mfa said:

For such an early deadline that really is a long review period. Makes sense, though

But those video clips were listed as requirements from BFA applicants........... 

maybe my idiot brain read it wrong but that is how I understood it. (CalArts is my top school so I will be devastated if the lack of a 90 second video is smth that shoots me in the leg)

2 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Sva is giving out final offers already? I interviewed with Fine Arts and they said the offers will come around 1st April

Maybe different departments have different deadlines? I am not sure. (What I know is that Photography is one of their biggest departments so maybe they are less picky with their offers)

Just now, lizavetar96 said:

But those video clips were listed as requirements from BFA applicants........... 

maybe my idiot brain read it wrong but that is how I understood it. (CalArts is my top school so I will be devastated if the lack of a 90 second video is smth that shoots me in the leg)

My understanding is that it was optional. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:51 PM, aniben3 said:

I'm applying, but I have to say it's hard to keep up motivation with everything going on right now. Maybe that's why people aren't posting? 
I'm a fiber / interdisciplinary person. Got into SAIC & Cranbrook last year, but couldn't afford it unfortunately, especially with all the uncertainty with the uh, state of the world. This year's list is Oregon, Iowa, VCU, ASU, Indiana -Bloomington, and Pennsylvania.

We'll see how it goes, haha, I really like the programs.

Hi! Just wondering how it went/is going with ASU? I applied to their intermedia and sculpture programs and had some pretty intimidating (but good? I hope?) interviews with about 5 members of each faculty, and am now waiting to hear. Have you interviewed or heard anything? Best of luck to you with your applications.