MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

8 hours ago, cherry_coke_kiss said:

Hey all,

Another Bard waitlister here.

I know with other programs they ask you to write a letter of continued interest when waitlisted.

Is anyone doing this with Bard?

Hi waitlister!

That could be a good practice. Would you address the letter to the co-chairs or via the Director perharps ?

42 minutes ago, okok said:

Hi waitlister!

That could be a good practice. Would you address the letter to the co-chairs or via the Director perharps ?

@cherry_coke_kiss

I’m curious about this too, I haven’t heard of a letter of continued interest. I was also waitlisted for my top choice and want to do anything I can at this point!

Do any of you have an opinion on Mills College in Oakland? They're in the news because they just announced that they're going to be phasing out their degree programs within the next few years, so this round is the last MFA class they will be admitting. Their funding (basically 1 year funded) will be the same and TAships will still happen. 

2 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Do any of you have an opinion on Mills College in Oakland? They're in the news because they just announced that they're going to be phasing out their degree programs within the next few years, so this round is the last MFA class they will be admitting. Their funding (basically 1 year funded) will be the same and TAships will still happen. 

I think this would be a good indication to not attend there...

17 minutes ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

I think this would be a good indication to not attend there...

Oh, I think so too. I've just heard from some professors who weren't as spooked as I assumed they'd be by it, so I was curious about if there might be more factoring into it than I'd heard. 

17 hours ago, CMCM said:

Does anyone know about ArtCenters decision making process. 
I checked the application portal and it says 'Decision Sent' but I have no clue if it's through email or mail, considering I am an international student I am weary if it's through mail. 
Also if I even got accepted of rejected - there were no interviews for me.
Any knowledge?? 

Called them earlier. They said there is a delay on sending out decision letter emails. Should be able to receive the email within a day or two. 

Just got into Parsons ID MFA with 35% tuition scholarship! Obviously very exciting but I had already sort of mentally started imagining myself at SAIC so my decision just got a lot harder.

Also, is anyone having a tough time responding to schools they probably won't attend? Logically, I know I have other programs I'd rather attend, but the idea of closing off an option stresses me out! Like, what if I change my mind but it's too late because I already turned them down?

35 minutes ago, eiffel65 said:

Just got into Parsons ID MFA with 35% tuition scholarship! Obviously very exciting but I had already sort of mentally started imagining myself at SAIC so my decision just got a lot harder.

Also, is anyone having a tough time responding to schools they probably won't attend? Logically, I know I have other programs I'd rather attend, but the idea of closing off an option stresses me out! Like, what if I change my mind but it's too late because I already turned them down?

Congrats! Did they send a scholarship info together with the acceptance? And what is the department? 

2 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Congrats! Did they send a scholarship info together with the acceptance? And what is the department? 

Industrial Design. And yes, I got an email to log in and view an admissions update - the acceptance and scholarship were part of the letter.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:08 PM, somethingaboutdslrs said:

Has anyone heard anything from GAState or Notre Dame yet? State said a couple weeks after interview and it's been well over a month lol

GSU contacted me and definitively let me know I was waitlisted, so I would reach out to Jeremy or whoever you spoke to and ask for an update! 

On 3/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, lizavetar96 said:

Hey, PHOTO people

did any of you get results from Parsons or University of Washington? 

also, the ones who got accepted to SVA: have you already gotten scholarship offers? (Not fafsa, but directly from SVA)

I've only been recommended by SVA to apply to their assistantship and Alice Beck scholarship! Totally disheartening to feel like that's the only financial aid that's forthcoming. 

Just now, rmwphoto said:

I've only been recommended by SVA to apply to their assistantship and Alice Beck scholarship! Totally disheartening to feel like that's the only financial aid that's forthcoming. 

Same. I applied to those two, and that is the only aid offered. Did you already get any news in regards to that aid? (I did not) 

and do you think you going is contingent on you getting aid? (I was also told that they do not give full time departmental assistanship AND alice beck scholarship to the same student usually (maybe implying that it never happened before) )

Just now, lizavetar96 said:

Same. I applied to those two, and that is the only aid offered. Did you already get any news in regards to that aid? (I did not) 

and do you think you going is contingent on you getting aid? (I was also told that they do not give full time departmental assistanship AND alice beck scholarship to the same student usually (maybe implying that it never happened before) )

I haven't gotten news yet! I was told their deadline for it is the 22nd, and they'd notify at the end of the month. My going there is definitely contingent on aid, and (maybe in too brash of a move ?), I told them so. I estimated it's about 75k a year including housing and other expenses and I'm not willing to go into crazy debt when I was really hoping for a fully funded program anyways! 

Just now, rmwphoto said:

I haven't gotten news yet! I was told their deadline for it is the 22nd, and they'd notify at the end of the month. My going there is definitely contingent on aid, and (maybe in too brash of a move ?), I told them so. I estimated it's about 75k a year including housing and other expenses and I'm not willing to go into crazy debt when I was really hoping for a fully funded program anyways! 

Yes, absolutely same. Let me know how it goes!

17 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

Hey. Parsons Fine Arts is out with their decisions. Just got an acceptance with 75% scholarship

Do you think you will rather attend Parsons now rather than SVA? 

12 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

That's exactly the dilemma. And I was hoping somebody here would help me on it. My motivation to go to SVA initially was its faculty and the fact that it has a lot of reach and provides good networking opportunities for its students. But in contrast, Parsons is way cheaper and I probably won't even have to apply for loan whereas I would've gone into considerable debt for SVA.

So is the debt worth it for all the opportunities SVA provides? Or should I rather be debt-free?

Also, another's question- SVA originally offered me 8k but when I requested for more, they brought it up to 32k (for both years combined). Do you guys think I can negotiate more now that I have Parsons in hand with a much better scholarship? Or is that just rude to ask since I've already requested once before?

Does anyone know if there is a date when schools are sending out final decisions by? I haven't heard anything from VCU (Sculpture), and am assuming I was rejected, but also kinda of wondering if I submitted my application correctly because I can't find any email from them at all...

7 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

That's exactly the dilemma. And I was hoping somebody here would help me on it. My motivation to go to SVA initially was its faculty and the fact that it has a lot of reach and provides good networking opportunities for its students. But in contrast, Parsons is way cheaper and I probably won't even have to apply for loan whereas I would've gone into considerable debt for SVA.

So is the debt worth it for all the opportunities SVA provides? Or should I rather be debt-free?

Also, another's question- SVA originally offered me 8k but when I requested for more, they brought it up to 32k (for both years combined). Do you guys think I can negotiate more now that I have Parsons in hand with a much better scholarship? Or is that just rude to ask since I've already requested once before?

I really don’t think it is rude to ask Parsons for more. Think about it like this - both of these schools are giant and private and they do have a lot of $$$. You are also asking for more $ not to fund your penthouse in UWS but because you really need it. The worst thing that can happen - they say no. They can’t retract their offer. 

i overall favour Parsons over SVA as Parsons has a more intimate cohort. 
but I wonder what other people think

29 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I just got an email saying that I got accepted to Parsons but I only got 20per cent of tuition off so I will be writing them a letter asking for more aid...