MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I just heard from a friend who deferred his Hunter admission to this fall that he was asked to give his final confirmation of fall attendance in the next few days  so they can make decisions about admissions. So I assume decisions about Hunter will come out pretty soon after that. 

2 hours ago, hello this is said:

Hi! forgot to update: I spoke to the chair and she reassured me that I had until April 15 to make a commitment, although she also said "sooner is better so we can allocate fellowships" I haven't committed yet - waiting to hear from yale and carnegie mellon before making a final choice

Ah good luck!  hard choices!  

Anyone here with a degree in biological sciences? Or even any other degree rather than art? 
How do you guys answer the interview questions when they ask why art when a degree in science? I mainly got a degree in science bc I knew MFA programs didn’t require art degrees so I could get a decent job after graduating and save enough money for art school.  

1 hour ago, NoraEllie said:

Anyone here with a degree in biological sciences? Or even any other degree rather than art? 
How do you guys answer the interview questions when they ask why art when a degree in science? I mainly got a degree in science bc I knew MFA programs didn’t require art degrees so I could get a decent job after graduating and save enough money for art school.  

When I was going to Sacramento State there was a professor who had graduated from UC Davis with a biology PhD and also an art degree. She lectured on the exact question you are asking. I would contact her with your question. Her name is Professor Anna Davidson. Anna is awesome. She would give you a good answer for sure.

"Anna Davidson is a visual artist and scientist. Concerned with our changing environment, her work fuses art, climate and biology. Starting expeditionary in nature, her work manifests in sculpture, video, sound, performance and bioart. She completed her MFA in Visual Arts (2016) following the completion of her PhD in plant ecophysiology (2014), both from the University of California, Davis. She currently splits her time making art, teaching art and conducting scientific research at UC Davis studying tree physiological responses to climate change. Currently, she teaches art at Sierra Nevada University and California State University, Sacramento. She has also taught at the San Francisco Art Institute, and UC Davis. Davidson has numerous scientific and artistic publications, exhibited internationally and attended several residencies including the Arctic Circle Residency in Svalbard, Norway, Djerassi in Woodside, California, Tropical Lab in Singapore and most recently an Artist at Sea residency on Woods Hole’s Atlantis oceanographic research vessel to the Lost City hydrothermal vent system. She is the founder of the Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous at UC Davis, in affiliation with Leonardo, the International Society of Art, Science and Technology."

anna.davidson@csus.edu

On 3/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, AidaLizard said:

I was hoping someone said something along the lines of whether most grads get either fellowships or assistantships, if anyone pays any tuition out of pocket, etc. not people's private financial info thanks. 

This might be helpful. Bit tedious to sift through and the info is a couple of years old, but VCU is in there. Tuition, Fellowship, TA positions etc.

https://www.collegeart.org/pdf/publications/CAA-directory-visual-arts.pdf

29 minutes ago, San Diego Stone said:

When I was going to Sacramento State there was a professor who had graduated from UC Davis with a biology PhD and also an art degree. She lectured on the exact question you are asking. I would contact her with your question. Her name is Professor Anna Davidson. Anna is awesome. She would give you a good answer for sure.

"Anna Davidson is a visual artist and scientist. Concerned with our changing environment, her work fuses art, climate and biology. Starting expeditionary in nature, her work manifests in sculpture, video, sound, performance and bioart. She completed her MFA in Visual Arts (2016) following the completion of her PhD in plant ecophysiology (2014), both from the University of California, Davis. She currently splits her time making art, teaching art and conducting scientific research at UC Davis studying tree physiological responses to climate change. Currently, she teaches art at Sierra Nevada University and California State University, Sacramento. She has also taught at the San Francisco Art Institute, and UC Davis. Davidson has numerous scientific and artistic publications, exhibited internationally and attended several residencies including the Arctic Circle Residency in Svalbard, Norway, Djerassi in Woodside, California, Tropical Lab in Singapore and most recently an Artist at Sea residency on Woods Hole’s Atlantis oceanographic research vessel to the Lost City hydrothermal vent system. She is the founder of the Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous at UC Davis, in affiliation with Leonardo, the International Society of Art, Science and Technology."

anna.davidson@csus.edu

Oh my god! Thank you so much. I definitely will because I don’t know how to answer that question properly. I love art and I love science, LOL. 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, aniben3 said:

Hey, so I talked with VCU fiber/craft & material studies in November, and I asked about funding and it sounded like first year was funded with assistantships, and then second there was a chance it might not be. I also talked to a current VCU student from another department earlier in the year and they were able to get second year funding, but it wasn't guaranteed. They recommended changing your residence to Virginia as soon as you get there to qualify for in-state tuition the next year if you didn't get more funding.

Thank you this is really helpful. UT Austin only assured an offer for the first year, while Alfred does for both. 

On 3/2/2021 at 4:35 PM, slickjaketheruler said:

If it means anything, I currently live in Richmond at the moment and anytime there is a VCU sculpture exhibition, they are my favorite. I look forward to MFA thesis exhibitions each year. The only thing I know, is that most students have their first year funded completely (allegedly) and that there is some funding the second year. I know some students in the Craft Department that got most of the school funded and some painting/print people that got the entire thing funded.

The school offers a lot of opportunity for students to travel (I believe the program requires a summer class or residency of some sort). One student I knew went to SAIC for the Abandon Practices Performance program in the summer and another spent the summer in Berlin.

Richmond is very DIY in the sense that a lot of art spaces are really reflective of the students and emerging artists running the city; but I personally think (and others I have talked to) that VCU sculpture is super impressive. 

Let me know if you have any other questions about Richmond, I can answer anything from the perspective of an artist that didn't go to VCU. 

Thank you so much! When I had my interview they told me that they were going to wait 2 weeks to let me know because they were hoping to have an offer that included two years. I read the funding part of the website but I really wish I had an idea of what their stipends are like. I have been learning more about Richmond and it seems like an ideal city to do the research I want to do. I also want to work with three of their faculty. I agree with you that their work is great, that is why they are my first choice. I'm waiting eagerly for their email. 

27 minutes ago, AidaLizard said:

Thank you so much! When I had my interview they told me that they were going to wait 2 weeks to let me know because they were hoping to have an offer that included two years. I read the funding part of the website but I really wish I had an idea of what their stipends are like. I have been learning more about Richmond and it seems like an ideal city to do the research I want to do. I also want to work with three of their faculty. I agree with you that their work is great, that is why they are my first choice. I'm waiting eagerly for their email. 

When you make the decision or leap to come if you get in, you are more than welcome to ask for any advice on how to navigate the city. I can link you up to tons of resources!

Hope everyone here is doing well. I'm an international student. 
I was accepted into the university at Buffalo MFA in Media arts productions. Anyone know more information about the program? If it's geared more towards artists or filmmakers? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, AidaLizard said:

I’m waiting to hear about funding for VCU Crafts. Monday before last, I was told via email they were surprised the funding pkg wasn’t available. They thought that might mean good news in terms of a larger amount.  

I don’t have my notes in front of me from my phone conversation with them about 3 weeks ago, but I believe the stipend was around $1000/ mth. I can look at my notes tomorrow. 

I was told that while tuition was covered the first year, fees were not. And that’s a good bit of money. He made a point to say that.

The second year funding, historically, wasn’t guaranteed but people did typically get some. He seemed to think / hope that the pandemic might work in our favor of getting more money, but he wasn’t sure. He kept saying that things could be different this time around.

First year was a graduate assistantship as a TA with tuition covered. Summer was teaching a class—teacher of note (idk if this was guaranteed). Second year was an assistantship too of some sort...I didn’t ask what stipend accompanied that.

Again, this isn’t for sculpture. And my notes aren’t in front of me, so I’m relying on my memory here which is getting increasingly murky as this process wears on! 

Congrats!! :)

On 3/1/2021 at 3:28 PM, eiffel65 said:

Has anyone heard from SAIC MDDO yet? I've seen people getting decisions from other departments, some only by letter, some email, some phone. Sick of checking my spam folder and mailbox many times a day!! They said they'd release all decisions by the 1st but I fear mine may be coming by snail mail.

I interviewed with the photography program and I'm still waiting too. Have you guys heard anything yet?

On 3/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, SocialKonstruct said:

Good news. Columbia just updated its student list to show who is attending the current iteration at their MFA program: https://arts.columbia.edu/visual-arts/students

What’s your standpoint on Columbia when it comes to their funding and financial aid? Do they fund students well like Yale or...? 

Edited by NoraEllie

1 hour ago, PhotographyMFA said:

I interviewed with the photography program and I'm still waiting too. Have you guys heard anything yet?

nope! they said they'd make all decisions by the 1st so I just assume it's somewhere in the mail system now. not at all going insane checking my mailbox 20x a day!!!!!! 

On 3/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, WeWillAllPersevere said:

I am more interested in the photo history class but they sent me the syllabus to prepare for class? Are you planning to go to all the events scheduled for Thursday?

I’m going to see how it goes but yeah I’m pretty much planning on going to as much as I can. 

Does anyone know what Bard MFA interviews are like? Do I need to show them new works? They didn't give much info on the interview when they sent the interview invite. 

11 hours ago, CMCM said:

Hey everyone, 

Has anyone received any financial packages from SVA? 
I applied and got accepted however I have not received any financial aid or scholarships, which is now completely shifting my decision of attending. 

When did you get the acceptance letter? Because I've also been accepted

7 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

What’s your standpoint on Columbia when it comes to their funding and financial aid? Do they fund students well like Yale or...? 

Eh, I heard through the grapevine that Columbia and Yale are polar opposites. Maybe they give like 1-2 scholarships but Columbia does not seem to give that much out.