Hello! 

Could any former applicants let me know how the references work on ORPAS? Is it a letter that we (applicant) or the references upload? Is it a portal in which references are prompted to log in and answer a specific set of questions? Is it both a letter and portal type questionnaire? How early would you recommend contacting references? Any other recommendations for selecting references/making the process smoother for us applicants and our references? TIA! 

3 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

Hello! 

Could any former applicants let me know how the references work on ORPAS? Is it a letter that we (applicant) or the references upload? Is it a portal in which references are prompted to log in and answer a specific set of questions? Is it both a letter and portal type questionnaire? How early would you recommend contacting references? Any other recommendations for selecting references/making the process smoother for us applicants and our references? TIA! 

Hi! Once you enter your referees’ information into the portal and click the send button, ORPAS will automatically contact your referees via email with instructions on how to upload their letter. I’m unsure about other Ontario schools, but for U of T and Western, referees have to fill out a  questionnaire AND a personalized letter for applicants. I asked my references for letters 8 months and submitted their contact info into the portal 3 weeks before the application deadline (at least 2 weeks in advance is best). Hope this helps! 

8 minutes ago, Speechies22 said:

Hi! Once you enter your referees’ information into the portal and click the send button, ORPAS will automatically contact your referees via email with instructions on how to upload their letter. I’m unsure about other Ontario schools, but for U of T and Western, referees have to fill out a  questionnaire AND a personalized letter for applicants. I asked my references for letters 8 months and submitted their contact info into the portal 3 weeks before the application deadline (at least 2 weeks in advance is best). Hope this helps! 

Thank you for your response! Do the referees get an outline of points to hit for their letters or do they have full freedom and just upload prior to deadline? Any tips on topics I should let my referees be aware of? Also, when can you begin your application on ORPAS (September before application deadline?) and how does that whole process work? 

46 minutes ago, 2022slpplease said:

Thank you for your response! Do the referees get an outline of points to hit for their letters or do they have full freedom and just upload prior to deadline? Any tips on topics I should let my referees be aware of? Also, when can you begin your application on ORPAS (September before application deadline?) and how does that whole process work? 

The best place to start answering your questions is directly from the ORPAS site: https://www.ouac.on.ca/orpas/ 

They have a guide and overview of the application and submission deadlines for the previous year. Usually deadlines are the same year to year. 

44 minutes ago, 2022slpplease said:

I’m not sure if referees get an outline since emails sent to them are confidential. I did, however, provide a copy of my up to date resume, letter of intent, transcript, and a document that listed specific events and/or qualities that I wanted my references to talk about in their letter (the more specific the better). This way references can write a well supported letter that stands out from the other applicants. It also shows your references how dedicated and serious you are about your application! :) 

You can refer to the ORPAS website for more information about the application cycle :) 

Hey guys ! It might be out of context but anyone over here did BIOL 235 at Athabasca University ? I need to complete this prerequisite before August 30th for the Master in OT... Meanwhile, I'm still waitlisted in SLP. :(  

Please feel free to dm me if you've an experience with this course or did something equivalent. 

Thank you ! 

2 hours ago, DalSLP said:

I just got accepted into Dal from the waitlist!!! I’m so shocked ?Good luck to everyone still waiting. Don’t give up hope just yet ❤️

yeah congrats !!!! You must feel SO relieved ! Btw, did you decline any offers/waitlisting at other universities ?

cheers again

10 minutes ago, DalSLP said:

Yeah, sooo relieved wow! Thank you! No, I didn’t decline anything else as this was the only place I applied to. 

omg even better !!! congraaaats !!!! ouf, you must feel amazing !!! 

On 6/3/2021 at 12:31 PM, DalSLP said:

I just got accepted into Dal from the waitlist!!! I’m so shocked ?Good luck to everyone still waiting. Don’t give up hope just yet ❤️

Congrats!! I'm also still waiting on Dal... would you mind sharing your stats or if you had any volunteer experience? 

2 hours ago, EmSLP2021 said:

Congrats!! I'm also still waiting on Dal... would you mind sharing your stats or if you had any volunteer experience? 

I messaged you privately. Let me know if there’s anything I left out. 

Hi ! Does anyone know if it's normal that I can't access my ORPAS account where it says documents processing ? I got waitlisted in SLP so I wanna know if it might be a clue that my application is getting reviewed.

Thank you !

35 minutes ago, rmaam said:

Hi ! Does anyone know if it's normal that I can't access my ORPAS account where it says documents processing ? I got waitlisted in SLP so I wanna know if it might be a clue that my application is getting reviewed.

Thank you !

actually, never mind guys :) 

On 6/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, SpeechieAlly said:

Does anyone have information on Dal’s admission stats? Like what’s the acceptance rate and how many reference letters people usually submit?

Okay I dont know the stats officially, but I think they get ~250 applications a year. Also, I only submitted 2 reference letters which I think is the bare minimum

On 6/8/2021 at 11:43 PM, Quote_Actual said:

Okay I dont know the stats officially, but I think they get ~250 applications a year. Also, I only submitted 2 reference letters which I think is the bare minimum

I’m super curious to see how no GRE will effect their numbers next year