Is anyone here applying for a second time? I just started the process again, and have realized that U of T and Western are both eliminating the volunteer hour/clinical reference requirement for this year because of Covid... This is pretty upsetting for a second time applicant who has spent the last 5 years getting as many hours as possible. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat here. 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, speech2020 said:

Is anyone here applying for a second time? I just started the process again, and have realized that U of T and Western are both eliminating the volunteer hour/clinical reference requirement for this year because of Covid... This is pretty upsetting for a second time applicant who has spent the last 5 years getting as many hours as possible. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat here. 

I am in the same boat ! I would just make sure to write your hours in your personal statement !

Same boat! But it's going to be my third time applying...

On 9/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, Pynner said:

I'm considering applying to some Canadian universities for a Master of Science (Applied) in "Speech and Language Pathology" to start September of 2021. I noticed a thread hadn't been started up yet.

? ? ?

thanks!

Edited by Origami_Princess

Same boat! Its my second time applying! Im super nervous

Hello! I am a Usask Psych grad who is applying to SLP programs. I originally wanted to pursue a career in counselling psychology, so I am missing prerequisites for many programs in Canada. I have applied to McGill and Dalhousie so far and I am missing linguistics courses for these universities. I was wondering if it matters whether I take them in the winter or fall? It would be nice to not have to pay for these courses and put int he work if I am not sure if I will get in. However, I have heard that universities like to see your prerequisites when reviewing your application so it may be an advantage.

For reference, I have a 3.7 GPA and I got around the 90th percentile on the GRE. Are there any other schools you would reccomend applying to, considering my GPA is on the low side? I also wrote an honours thesis, I have lots of volunteer experience as well as work experience with the elderly, children with autism and in a non-profit setting.

Question: For U of A, is it best to submit a mark that isn't too great (solid B), or better that I submit the grade from a course I'm taking in the winter that (it'll be in progress by the time applications are submitted)? 

In other words, is it better to choose the trade off of a lower pre-req GPA, but all courses completed OR have one course in progress, but potentially higher pre-req GPA in the end? 

Edited by Wugs

That's so frustrating to hear... I'm sorry for your situation. I have the opposite problem since I attended the online informational sessions during the height of the pandemic and corresponded with both schools to ask if they would be making any adjustments to the volunteer requirements due to Covid since my volunteer placements were cancelled and they had no such intentions then. I had to make peace that I couldn't apply in 2020. Now I find this out. I don't think there's sufficient time to make a good application before the deadline ? What would someone else do in this position?

On 10/17/2020 at 5:36 PM, Wugs said:

Question: For U of A, is it best to submit a mark that isn't too great (solid B), or better that I submit the grade from a course I'm taking in the winter that (it'll be in progress by the time applications are submitted)? 

In other words, is it better to choose the trade off of a lower pre-req GPA, but all courses completed OR have one course in progress, but potentially higher pre-req GPA in the end? 

I would personally go for the second option (potentially higher GPA) if you feel confident you will do much better in that course.

3 hours ago, Malithi said:

That's so frustrating to hear... I'm sorry for your situation. I have the opposite problem since I attended the online informational sessions during the height of the pandemic and corresponded with both schools to ask if they would be making any adjustments to the volunteer requirements due to Covid since my volunteer placements were cancelled and they had no such intentions then. I had to make peace that I couldn't apply in 2020. Now I find this out. I don't think there's sufficient time to make a good application before the deadline ? What would someone else do in this position?

I think you should still apply! You have till January, and unless it's for financial reasons (which I totally understand because the cost is high) it doesn't hurt to apply. It's really helpful to at least get used to the application process if anything. 

On 10/20/2020 at 4:37 AM, Malithi said:

Hi Malithi, for some programs there isn’t much to do in terms of preparation (McMaster doesn’t need anything beyond your Pre-Reqs). You can look into this as an option. I think you have plenty of time, as some applications haven’t yet opened.

Hi everyone! Super excited to be applying this year. I’m in my fourth year of Psychology and Neuroscience (BSc Honours) and I’ve started my applications for Western and McMaster. I’m hopeful that my sub-GPA will be around 3.7 by the end of this semester, and hopefully that’ll be competitive enough to enter the MMI stage. Good luck to everyone! ☀️ 

Hi everyone :)

Just wondering about transcripts and ORPAS for out of province Universities. Is it correct to say that we order these transcripts and have them sent to OUAC (only option for some schools). OUAC will submit these to the schools I’m applying to?

I’m reapplying after working 5 years as an SLPA :)

thanks!

good luck to everyone too!

5 hours ago, C0DA said:

Hi everyone :)

Just wondering about transcripts and ORPAS for out of province Universities. Is it correct to say that we order these transcripts and have them sent to OUAC (only option for some schools). OUAC will submit these to the schools I’m applying to?

I’m reapplying after working 5 years as an SLPA :)

thanks!

good luck to everyone too!

Yeah, ORPAS says not to send transcripts to the schools. 

Hello! I am applying for the first time this year. I should have a sGPA of around 3.75 if I did the calculations correct. I'm applying to McMaster and Western, however Western is my top choice. Do you think that there will be a difference in the amount of applications this year due to the removal of volunteer hours for Western and UofT? 

13 minutes ago, emSpeech said:

Hello! I am applying for the first time this year. I should have a sGPA of around 3.75 if I did the calculations correct. I'm applying to McMaster and Western, however Western is my top choice. Do you think that there will be a difference in the amount of applications this year due to the removal of volunteer hours for Western and UofT? 

Hey! I’m also applying for the the first time this year to Mac and Western as well!! I’m going in with a similar sGPA assuming my classes go well this term. I think there will definitely be a lot more applicants for Western, but the averages might vary due to remote learning (it seems universally accepted to be harder this year). I completed around 100 hours of clinical slp volunteering before COVID hit and I’m still planning on submitting my hours and clinical reference! I’m hoping that it’ll make some sort of impact for Western. Good luck! :)