Hi everyone and happy Holidays! 

Second time applicant here!

Good luck to everyone in your application processes, it is super stressful but also remember that it is also a very exciting time! I got waitlisted at Western and Dalhousie last year with a subGPA of 3.64 and didn't receive an interview with McMaster. After retaking a couple courses I am applying this year with a subGPA of 3.71. If anyone else would like to estimate their GPA according to OUAC I recorded some of their grade allocations from last year: 

• A+ = 4.00
  • A = 3.90
  • A- =3.70
  • B+=3.30
  • C+= 2.30
  • C = 2.00

Add up your most recent 20 grades on your transcript and divide by 20. Best of luck everyone! 

Hi everyone - hope you're all healthy and staying safe :)

It's my first time applying and I just had a question about the transcript process.  From my understanding, all I have to do is send my transcript request and the rest is done by ORPAS. Is there anything else I have to do?

Thank you and best of luck!!

Hi everyone,

It's my third time applying to SLP programs but first time applying to schools in Ontario. Does anyone know how I calculate my subGPA for ORPAS? And does the subGPA calculate all recent courses regardless of where they were taken (I took one at an online university and another in-person last Fall)?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by SLPizza

On 10/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, emSpeech said:

Hello! I am applying for the first time this year. I should have a sGPA of around 3.75 if I did the calculations correct. I'm applying to McMaster and Western, however Western is my top choice. Do you think that there will be a difference in the amount of applications this year due to the removal of volunteer hours for Western and UofT? 

I think that there may be a difference, especially at UofT since they phased out many previously eligible prerequisite courses back in January. The removal of the volunteer component & clinical references for these schools might hurt those who might be relying on those components to strengthen their application, but could also benefit those who don't necessarily have much volunteer experience in the field. 

3 hours ago, MHSCME said:

Does anyone here know when the deadline to submit the our transcripts is? Does it have to be submitted on the Jan 8 submission deadline with everything else, or on Jan 30th?

For Ontario schools you just need to have submitted a transcript request within your application by the application deadline. Any transcripts coming from schools outside of Ontario or internationally need to be received by ORPAS (either via an approved electronic distribution centre or paper mail) by January 30th. 

On 12/15/2020 at 12:10 AM, SLPizza said:

Hi everyone,

It's my third time applying to SLP programs but first time applying to schools in Ontario. Does anyone know how I calculate my subGPA for ORPAS? And does the subGPA calculate all recent courses regardless of where they were taken (I took one at an online university and another in-person last Fall)?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey,

It's all university-level courses including any you are will be finished at the end of this fall semester counting backwards for a total of 20 (a full year course counts as 2). Someone posted a grade scale above so you can use that to add up the GPA for your last 20 courses and then divide by 20 to get subGPA. Any undergrad years that are dipped into but not used entirely will be averaged.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, danielaspeechSLP said:

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if someone could help me out with a problem I am having! I am currently taking a course at the university of Alberta. I am applying through ORPAS and I am not sure how I request Alberta to send over my transcript? Anyone know??

Hello, 

Disclaimer:  I don’t have any direct experience with U of A but I know for other schools outside of Ontario you just have to have the school either mail or electronically distribute the transcript to ORPAS. Usually you can make that request through your registrar. 

Some info that might be helpful for others: 

I spoke to the admissions coordinators at both UofT and Western about the volunteer experience section of the OPRAS application. Western says it’s ok to include paid experience but you cannot do it for UofT!

Edited by SpeechieAlly
Grammar

Hi everybody! This thread has been both a source of anxiety and comfort during application season!

I had a question for you all... Last year at a U of T info session, someone asked if there was a place to put relevant work experience. The admissions coordinators running the session seemed shocked by this question.  They asked, "How would you have relevant work experience without having a degree?" 

Have you guys ever heard this reaction? It can't really be that rare to have work experience in the field - a few of you have even posted about it here! I'm finding it so frustrating that I have to fit all my work into a 3000 character statement of intent. Anyone have tips? 

Really grateful that this year, due to them waiving the requirement for a clinical letter, I can at least have my boss be my referee.

12 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hello, 

Disclaimer:  I don’t have any direct experience with U of A but I know for other schools outside of Ontario you just have to have the school either mail or electronically distribute the transcript to ORPAS. Usually you can make that request through your registrar. 

Thank you this helps a lot!

12 hours ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

Hi everybody! This thread has been both a source of anxiety and comfort during application season!

I had a question for you all... Last year at a U of T info session, someone asked if there was a place to put relevant work experience. The admissions coordinators running the session seemed shocked by this question.  They asked, "How would you have relevant work experience without having a degree?" 

Have you guys ever heard this reaction? It can't really be that rare to have work experience in the field - a few of you have even posted about it here! I'm finding it so frustrating that I have to fit all my work into a 3000 character statement of intent. Anyone have tips? 

Really grateful that this year, due to them waiving the requirement for a clinical letter, I can at least have my boss be my referee.

It’s interesting, as an undergrad at UofT it was definitely uncommon and even frowned up to have any sort of job during school. I think also that a decent proportion of UofT’s SLP students are directly from undergrad so they would mostly have good grades and volunteer experience to back up their application. But when I spoke to former students in the program they said that there were many students years postgrad/ or with extensive work experience so I assume they just highlighted that in their statement.  I guess maybe what they’re saying is that you can’t work in SLP without a degree in SLP so therefore you wouldn’t be able to have any work experience in that field?? It hard to judge about what they want. I do know from talking to Adriana the coordinator at UofT that they want you to talk about paid work experience only in the statement. 

15 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

I spoke to the admissions coordinators at both UofT and Western about the volunteer experience section of the OPRAS application. Western says it’s ok to include paid experience but you cannot do it for UofT!

Thanks for this info! I tried to delete the paid experience from the U of T page on ORPAS and it deleted it from both so it seems like the two are linked. Any idea if there's a way to include paid experience for one and not the other? Or will you just include it and assume that U of T will ignore it?

16 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

This is incorrect. UofT does allow paid experiences (they mentioned this in their information session), and even if they didn't, you are unable to tailor your experiences to each school on ORPAS. In fact, ORPAS doesn't even ask you to specify whether it was payed or unpayed. Stay informed, and good luck! 

Edited by wug#2

20 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hey Ally, I noticed that when you write in your volunteer experience for Western, it automatically goes to your volunteer experience for U of T. I don't think we're able to customize volunteer experiences for each school. 

6 hours ago, wug#2 said:

This is incorrect. UofT does allow paid experiences (they mentioned this in their information session), and even if they didn't, you are unable to tailor your experiences to each school on ORPAS. In fact, ORPAS doesn't even ask you to specify whether it was payed or unpayed. Stay informed, and good luck! 

2 hours ago, NDspeechie said:

Hey Ally, I noticed that when you write in your volunteer experience for Western, it automatically goes to your volunteer experience for U of T. I don't think we're able to customize volunteer experiences for each school. 

6 hours ago, ninetimes said:

Thanks for this info! I tried to delete the paid experience from the U of T page on ORPAS and it deleted it from both so it seems like the two are linked. Any idea if there's a way to include paid experience for one and not the other? Or will you just include it and assume that U of T will ignore it?

My sincerely apologies for all the confusion I’ve caused! It’s entirely possible that I misunderstood something from my conversation with her. Please do not take me at my word and I recommend contacting the schools/ORPAS directly if you want an answer. 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, danielaspeechSLP said:

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if someone could help me out with a problem I am having! I am currently taking a course at the university of Alberta. I am applying through ORPAS and I am not sure how I request Alberta to send over my transcript? Anyone know??

If you go into bear tracks, there is an option for "transcript" and at the top there is some options, select "request official transcript" and you can send your transcript from there. However if the course is not completed yet it will probably just show like "in progress" or something. 

On 12/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, SpeechieAlly said:

My sincerely apologies for all the confusion I’ve caused! It’s entirely possible that I misunderstood something from my conversation with her. Please do not take me at my word and I recommend contacting the schools/ORPAS directly if you want an answer. 

Oh man. Just came here to ask about this. U of T DEFINITELY said last year that you cannot include paid experience in the volunteer section; this may have changed due to COVID, however.

Has anyone heard different information? As of now, I put my (2400 hours) of work experience in the volunteer section, but wrote "PAID" before the description.