Hi hi!

Quick question (probably for those who have applied already) - How soon is "send immediately" for transcripts being sent through ORPAS? My concern is that my grades for one of my courses won't be finalized until around Jan. 15. I'm worried that the transcripts will be sent while the grades are still "in progress."

Anybody know anything about this? TIA! And good luck everyone!

33 minutes ago, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

Hi hi!

Quick question (probably for those who have applied already) - How soon is "send immediately" for transcripts being sent through ORPAS? My concern is that my grades for one of my courses won't be finalized until around Jan. 15. I'm worried that the transcripts will be sent while the grades are still "in progress."

Anybody know anything about this? TIA! And good luck everyone!

I think you should put “end of term-fall”  so all your grades get in (hope that’s right)! 

Just now, somethingcleveraboutspeech said:

That makes sense. So the assumption is they won't send it until all fall grades are finalized? Because technically the term is complete, only the grades are not.

Yes I believe so! Selecting immediately will send your transcript regardless if your fall grades are in for the term (which is not what we want). Selecting "end of term fall" will include your fall 2020 grades. I was also confused about it earlier - I'm waiting on some grades too!

Good luck! :D

1 minute ago, speechncookies said:

Yes I believe so! Selecting immediately will send your transcript regardless if your fall grades are in for the term (which is not what we want). Selecting "end of term fall" will include your fall 2020 grades. I was also confused about it earlier - I'm waiting on some grades too!

Good luck! :D

Thank you so, so much. I'm happy I asked the question!

Best of luck to you!!!

3 hours ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hello,

For anyone applying to McGill, have your references received the email or do they only receive it once the application has been submitted? It is not super clear and my references have not received anything.

Thank you! 

Hey! Once you submit your application and pay the fee your references will receive an email! 

Hi everyone! 

I can't seem to find any URL for prerequisite courses that I have taken in the past years (e.g., 2018) as they have been removed and replaced with 2020-2021 syllabi. 

Should I be worried or do the newer syllabi work just as fine? 

Thank you in advance, and I wish you all the best! 

14 minutes ago, pls_SLP said:

Hi everyone! 

I can't seem to find any URL for prerequisite courses that I have taken in the past years (e.g., 2018) as they have been removed and replaced with 2020-2021 syllabi. 

Should I be worried or do the newer syllabi work just as fine? 

Thank you in advance, and I wish you all the best! 

I have a similar issue (course description links that expire) and I've been told by ORPAS that I can upload the syllabi through SAM. So to be 100% sure I'd upload the syllabus from your course (hopefully you kept it!)

Not sure about the newer syllabi though

44 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

I have a similar issue (course description links that expire) and I've been told by ORPAS that I can upload the syllabi through SAM. So to be 100% sure I'd upload the syllabus from your course (hopefully you kept it!)

Not sure about the newer syllabi though

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your quick response! I will now be uploading the expired syllabi over SAM. 

If you don't mind me asking, what did you put for the "Course URL" since you uploaded the document over SAM? I tried to leave it blank but that doesn't seem to work. 

1 hour ago, pls_SLP said:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your quick response! I will now be uploading the expired syllabi over SAM. 

If you don't mind me asking, what did you put for the "Course URL" since you uploaded the document over SAM? I tried to leave it blank but that doesn't seem to work. 

I just put the link for the current course and then added a note in the "details" section saying that I attached a syllabus. Hopefully that will work! Good luck!

On 10/5/2020 at 9:49 AM, Marciiiiiiiiiiiii said:

Hello! I am a Usask Psych grad who is applying to SLP programs. I originally wanted to pursue a career in counselling psychology, so I am missing prerequisites for many programs in Canada. I have applied to McGill and Dalhousie so far and I am missing linguistics courses for these universities. I was wondering if it matters whether I take them in the winter or fall? It would be nice to not have to pay for these courses and put int he work if I am not sure if I will get in. However, I have heard that universities like to see your prerequisites when reviewing your application so it may be an advantage.

For reference, I have a 3.7 GPA and I got around the 90th percentile on the GRE. Are there any other schools you would reccomend applying to, considering my GPA is on the low side? I also wrote an honours thesis, I have lots of volunteer experience as well as work experience with the elderly, children with autism and in a non-profit setting.

Hi! I don't think that there are any specific prereqs to apply for Dalhousie's SLP program. I think that's one of the only universities that doesn't have any :) 

Those who have previously applied... 

Do I stand a chance? I'm SUPERBLY nervous about the whole application process. Due to family obligations (and not willing to live away from my kids for 2 years), I can only apply to the U of A. I'm a first time applicant, a mature student, and I fear rejection SO much ? Putting all my eggs in one basket and praying for the best. 

My stats are as follows: 

3.83 SubGPA, 3.95 in pre requisite courses

Finished B Ed in only 3 years (with distinction) special education minor 

Worked as a teacher

Worked wirh PUF kids as an SLPA for 1.5 years 

Have certifications in PECS, Hanen, NVCI and SCERTS 

Volunteered for Centre for Autism Services AB for 2 years 

Have research assistant experience with 2 U of A childrens literacy labs

I also have 2 kids both having communication disorders of varying degrees. 

I've invested literally ALL the energy I could possibly muster the past year... due to COVID and having my kids home a lot more than usual has made everything that much more challenging. But with only 62 spots, not knowing how many applicants, and with the COVID semester being "credit only", it makes everthing so unpredictable (and the wait that much more unbearable!)

Anyone wishing to share success stories/their stats? 

Good luck, all! 

Edited by SpeechieWannaB

10 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Those who have previously applied... 

Do I stand a chance? I'm SUPERBLY nervous about the whole application process. Due to family obligations (and not willing to live away from my kids for 2 years), I can only apply to the U of A. I'm a first time applicant, a mature student, and I fear rejection SO much ? Putting all my eggs in one basket and praying for the best. 

My stats are as follows: 

3.83 SubGPA, 3.95 in pre requisite courses

Finished B Ed in only 3 years (with distinction) special education minor 

Worked as a teacher

Worked wirh PUF kids as an SLPA for 1.5 years 

Have certifications in PECS, Hanen, NVCI and SCERTS 

Volunteered for Centre for Autism Services AB for 2 years 

Have research assistant experience with 2 U of A childrens literacy labs

I also have 2 kids both having communication disorders of varying degrees. 

I've invested literally ALL the energy I could possibly muster the past year... due to COVID and having my kids home a lot more than usual has made everything that much more challenging. But with only 62 spots, not knowing how many applicants, and with the COVID semester being "credit only", it makes everthing so unpredictable (and the wait that much more unbearable!)

Anyone wishing to share success stories/their stats? 

Good luck, all! 

I haven't applied before, but you sound like an incredible candidate and I think anything you want in life is worth a shot. I know the possibility of rejection is terrifying, but if you've invested all the energy you could, then you have to be honest about your expectations for yourself. You can only control your own end - what you do - and if you do your best, you've done your part. We are all proud of you nonetheless! So many people don't even try. It's worth a shot :)

12 hours ago, Wugs said:

I haven't applied before, but you sound like an incredible candidate and I think anything you want in life is worth a shot. I know the possibility of rejection is terrifying, but if you've invested all the energy you could, then you have to be honest about your expectations for yourself. You can only control your own end - what you do - and if you do your best, you've done your part. We are all proud of you nonetheless! So many people don't even try. It's worth a shot :)

Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement. It means a lot. It's so easy to be discouraged and to expect the worst, especially in these unprecedented times. I totally agree; nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:21 PM, jec said:

You sound like an awesome candidate! I'd be very surprised if you didn't get in. How were your GRE scores? IMO they should be at the bottom of the list when it comes to judging.

Thanks so much.

I have pretty bad test anxiety, so I couldn't do better than 50-60th percentile (my math was lower, but I was told by friends that they are quite lenient). I'm gearing up to take the CASPER test soon.... not looking forward to it ? Any tips or tricks appreciated, as I'm not the fastest typer (so I already feel I'm at a deficit). 

I've just accepted that I'm not the smartest person out there, and never will be. My strengths lie in other areas (and all are still pertinent to the profession)! Fingers crossed they can see that.

It does say on the U of A website that they are striving to be more inclusive, and therefore only using GPA as an entrance requirement.... time will tell. 

Did anyone else try to submit their McGill app and received an error message? I was editing my statement to fit the 3000 limit and it kept freezing when I would hit save. I emailed the department but as of now I feel so devastated and think I'm just out of luck. Has anyone heard of this happening? 

9 hours ago, SLP--2021 said:

Did anyone else try to submit their McGill app and received an error message? I was editing my statement to fit the 3000 limit and it kept freezing when I would hit save. I emailed the department but as of now I feel so devastated and think I'm just out of luck. Has anyone heard of this happening? 

Hi! I think you should be okay; I didn't realize that the references had to be done by the 15th as I was waiting to submit first, and when I emailed them, they were able to give my references an extension till the 18th; so I think they're pretty understanding! Wouldn't hurt to wait to see what they say, hope everything works out! 

Hi everyone! I applied to McGill last week, and sent in all my transcripts except for my IB diploma, because I figured that it didn't count as post-secondary (I got 30 transfer credits from it). Should I send them an email to explain those 30 credits? Or will they deduce it themselves (I wrote that I took IB in my CV)?

17 hours ago, Cindy Lou said:

Hey everyone! 

Hope your applications are going well. Does anyone have any idea what the average CGPA for UBC or Western's programs are? I'm currently sitting at a 3.80, but not sure that's necessarily high enough. Any ideas? 

Hello! I can’t speak to UBC, but according to Western’s program day, anywhere between 3.3-3.5 is supposedly good enough to get noticed at least!