Can anybody comment on how strict the grade requirements are for the prerequisite courses for the different SLP programs? I think I read U of T had a B+ requirement for pre-requisites. Is that firm? How about the other programs?

3 hours ago, jec said:

Can anybody comment on how strict the grade requirements are for the prerequisite courses for the different SLP programs? I think I read U of T had a B+ requirement for pre-requisites. Is that firm? How about the other programs?

Yes, the U of T B+ requirement is firm (source: went to their info session). Fortunately, they accept an increased/upgraded course grade if you retake courses with a grade lower than this (source: their FAQ).

McMaster has a B requirement, and I would say this is also firm as they don't require LORs or anything else in the initial application but those grades and your transcript. So it would make sense the grades are used to weed people out, but I'm just inferring.

UBC, McGill, U of A, Western etc. afaik all don't have a grade minimum grade. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Wugs

On 1/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, Wugs said:

Has anybody taken AUDI402? How did it go? Any tips?

I took it last summer and found it to be one of the most challenging courses in my undergrad so far! The pace of the course is super fast, so do not fall behind! The concepts are not difficult but there is a lot of info to memorize and master within a short period of time. If you consistently complete the readings and do the learning activities you will be fine :) 

6 hours ago, Wugs said:

80-85% for ubc is competitive

On the UBC website, for prerequisites, it says courses are to be at 300 and 400 level when possible. Can anyone comment on applying to UBC with multiple linguistics courses only as high as the 200 level? Other relevant course work would be upper level and other pieces of app would be strong. Just debating if worth applying without upgrading the Ling courses. 

And your 80 - 85% comment, is that for overall GPA or prerequisites?

17 hours ago, jec said:

On the UBC website, for prerequisites, it says courses are to be at 300 and 400 level when possible. Can anyone comment on applying to UBC with multiple linguistics courses only as high as the 200 level? Other relevant course work would be upper level and other pieces of app would be strong. Just debating if worth applying without upgrading the Ling courses. 

And your 80 - 85% comment, is that for overall GPA or prerequisites?

The range is lifted directly from their FAQ, I'm not sure.

image.thumb.png.8bc7f4a0c1fd36de6ba6af75159c0e62.png

52 minutes ago, SunshineSpeechie said:

Hi, does anyone know how/when we can see our ORPAS sGPA?

They will be released some time in the first week or two of February usually. You'll be able to see the calculations in your application under "document tracking" or one of the other areas. They don't send out a notification for this, you just have to check back :)

Anyone taken the CASPer test?

Curious if the 5 min timer starts immediately after the video/scenario is given, or do they give you time to read the questions beforehand? 

I write on Tues and I'm a bit nervous ? Just trying to calm my nerves and know what to expect.

TIA! 

7 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Curious if the 5 min timer starts immediately after the video/scenario is given, or do they give you time to read the questions beforehand? 

I write on Tues and I'm a bit nervous ? Just trying to calm my nerves and know what to expect.

TIA! 

From what I remember, the timer starts immediately. It's a bit of a rush, but if you can up your typing speed you should be good to go :)

15 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

TIA! 

Hey :)

You get the prompt (either video or text) then it gives you 30 seconds to gather your thoughts and immediately moves onto the page with the 3 questions and the 5 minute timer begins. 

I've written multiple times and it is nerve-wracking and stressful every single time haha, so just do your best! My best advice is to just remember that each section is a fresh start and to do your best to not let any frustration from the previous question carry over. 

1 minute ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Hey :)

You get the prompt (either video or text) then it gives you 30 seconds to gather your thoughts and immediately moves onto the page with the 3 questions and the 5 minute timer begins. 

I've written multiple times and it is nerve-wracking and stressful every single time haha, so just do your best! My best advice is to just remember that each section is a fresh start and to do your best to not let any frustration from the previous question carry over. 

Hey! 

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll be sweating bullets ? 

Hi! Does anyone know how many positions there are in McGill's SLP program, and how many people typically apply? I can find these stats for all of the Ontario schools on ORPAS, but have had no luck finding any information about it for McGill.

20 hours ago, Wuglette said:

Hi! Does anyone know how many positions there are in McGill's SLP program, and how many people typically apply? I can find these stats for all of the Ontario schools on ORPAS, but have had no luck finding any information about it for McGill.

"Admission to our M.Sc.A. program is highly competitive and only a small number of outstanding students are admitted (approximately 10% of our applicant pool)"

Only thing I found!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, Wuglette said:

From what I know it's somewhere around 30 to 32 students. It's a similar cohort size to the McMaster program.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, Speechies22 said:

Received a confirmation email about my submitted application for Western. Does anyone know if we receive an email from U of T? 

From what I've read from previous years, UofT does not send out a confirmation email, and it seems like they only give you a student ID/UofT email when/if you get into their program. 

14 hours ago, pls_SLP said:

Hey guys! 

Does anyone know if Western, UofT, or McMaster look at your overall GPA when viewing your transcript (e.g., last 4 years)? 

It's the subGPA consisting of your last 20 credits, including any you've taken outside of your degree. Last two years of full-time study, give or take.