2 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

I’m super curious to see how no GRE will effect their numbers next year 

Im betting more people will apply. Last cycle I asked my classmates if they were gonna apply to Dal but they said no because of the GRE. Honestly I am so glad that they got rid of it, that was an expensive and traumatizing nightmare and a half, but since the school doesnt require pre recs, applicants may skyrocket 

On 6/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, Quote_Actual said:

Im betting more people will apply. Last cycle I asked my classmates if they were gonna apply to Dal but they said no because of the GRE. Honestly I am so glad that they got rid of it, that was an expensive and traumatizing nightmare and a half, but since the school doesnt require pre recs, applicants may skyrocket 

Yeah I’m likely going to be one of those people!
All of the program admissions seem to be really affected by the COVID-induced relaxing of admissions. Like mac’s average sGPA of people getting interviews jumped from 3.8 to 3.9 (please correct me if I’m wrong) and Western went from 450 to 530 apps this year! It’s insane!! 

Does anybody know how Alberta’s admission numbers were affected? 

Hey! I'm hoping to apply to SLP masters programs for Fall 2022. Would anyone know how it looks to upgrade a few courses?

I did my undergrad at UofT and just graduated. There are 3 courses in my sGPA where I got a B-, B and B+, however I feel that I can do much better in those courses this time around as I was going through some personal things at the time. 

How do they calculate upgraded courses into your sGPA? 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:50 AM, SpeechieAlly said:

Yeah I’m likely going to be one of those people!
All of the program admissions seem to be really affected by the COVID-induced relaxing of admissions. Like mac’s average sGPA of people getting interviews jumped from 3.8 to 3.9 (please correct me if I’m wrong) and Western went from 450 to 530 apps this year! It’s insane!! 

Does anybody know how Alberta’s admission numbers were affected? 

I think around 250 applied? When Vicki was asked at the Q&A session September 2020 she guesstimated 100-200 applicants, so perhaps it was just outside the upper range. No idea how it compares to previous years though!

One thing that did change is how Alberta determined admissions this year; before GPA was used more heavily, then everything else, whereas from what I understood this year is that it was done the other way around, and applicants were looked at as a whole then GPA. (this is just my understanding). GPA this year was officially an entrance requirement, and one of the semesters (winter 2020) didn't play into calculations or something.

I hope this helps!

5 hours ago, Wugs said:

I think around 250 applied? When Vicki was asked at the Q&A session September 2020 she guesstimated 100-200 applicants, so perhaps it was just outside the upper range. No idea how it compares to previous years though!

One thing that did change is how Alberta determined admissions this year; before GPA was used more heavily, then everything else, whereas from what I understood this year is that it was done the other way around, and applicants were looked at as a whole then GPA. (this is just my understanding). GPA this year was officially an entrance requirement, and one of the semesters (winter 2020) didn't play into calculations or something.

I hope this helps!

Thank you, that does help :) I think my biggest questions in regards to Alberta is if their new admissions standards meant more/less people applied and if the average admission GPA changed. 

16 hours ago, megs444 said:

Hey! I'm hoping to apply to SLP masters programs for Fall 2022. Would anyone know how it looks to upgrade a few courses?

I did my undergrad at UofT and just graduated. There are 3 courses in my sGPA where I got a B-, B and B+, however I feel that I can do much better in those courses this time around as I was going through some personal things at the time. 

How do they calculate upgraded courses into your sGPA? 

It really depends on what school you’re applying to and where within the last 20credits the original courses falls. 

For the schools that use ORPAS, if the original time you took the course is not within the last 20 courses it isn’t taken into consideration at all. If it is within the last 20 courses, I believe both are considered and both grades count. 

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!

Hello! Future applicant here. Out of curiosity, was there still a place on the application to input volunteer experiences/ the amount hours or duration of the experience, even though the requirement was waived? The requirement is also waived for 2022 admission. I am still obtaining volunteer hours and am wondering if its even worth it at this point or if I should just free up my time and enjoy summer. 

6 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

was there still a place on the application to input volunteer experiences/ the amount hours or duration of the experience, even though the requirement was waived?

Yep! There is a section to input it. I am not sure if they actually looked at it, but either way I filled it out 

6 minutes ago, Katielariv said:

I haven't heard anything yet, still on the waitlist - please let me know when you hear anything!

yeah same ... tbh I'm so worried ! like it's ridiculous like at least give us some information or our ranking ! 

I'm crossing fingers for all of us :(

Just now, rmaam said:

yeah same ... tbh I'm so worried ! like it's ridiculous like at least give us some information or our ranking ! 

I'm crossing fingers for all of us :(

Yeah I tried asking and they won't give any information on ranking! Just given up hope on finding out anytime soon. Fingers crossed.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, sierra42 said:

Just a heads-up, but I was accepted from the Western waitlist on Friday from the second quadrant, and I plan on declining, so the list will probably be moving again soon! :) 

Congratulations!! 

There’s still hope for some of us lol 

Hello everyone! I need some help with ORPAS sGPA. 

I’ve taken an additional semester of 5 half courses, otherwise my courses fit the typical university structure of 10 half courses per school year. How does ORPAS calculate the remaining 5 needed half courses? Is it just the grades from the winter semester of 3rd year or the entire GPA for the 3rd year that are used to make the remaining grades? 

10 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Hello everyone! I need some help with ORPAS sGPA. 

I’ve taken an additional semester of 5 half courses, otherwise my courses fit the typical university structure of 10 half courses per school year. How does ORPAS calculate the remaining 5 needed half courses? Is it just the grades from the winter semester of 3rd year or the entire GPA for the 3rd year that are used to make the remaining grades? 

This is from the application guide:

"ORPAS does not separate semesters, and so if an average must be used, it is from the fall and winter durations combined, as this is considered an academic year"

They are so cruel ?

On 6/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, slp2020ab said:

This is from the application guide:

"ORPAS does not separate semesters, and so if an average must be used, it is from the fall and winter durations combined, as this is considered an academic year"

They are so cruel ?

Welp, it’s what I thought, Thanks for the confirmation. I hate it though! 

Can anyone who applied to U of Alberta this year clarify how they calculated GPA? I know they’re not including grade from Winter 2020. Does that mean that the grades from only 3 semesters are actually considered since Winter 2020 still counts toward the 60 credits?

Hi Everyone! I'm going to email each school but thought I would ask here just in case anyone knew. 

I am applying this Jan and have taken a few years off to work and build up my application, while taking a few courses as well. My prereqs (Ling and Development Psych) was taken in 2015 and my phonetics was 2016, is this OK or do pre reqs have to be completed within 5 years? I can't believe how fast time flies and I just realized now that this may an issue. 

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hi Everyone! I'm going to email each school but thought I would ask here just in case anyone knew. 

I am applying this Jan and have taken a few years off to work and build up my application, while taking a few courses as well. My prereqs (Ling and Development Psych) was taken in 2015 and my phonetics was 2016, is this OK or do pre reqs have to be completed within 5 years? I can't believe how fast time flies and I just realized now that this may an issue. 

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if the different universities vary but uoft states that pre reqs should be completed within the last ten years: https://slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/prerequisites/ so I think you should be fine for them. I'm also applying this Jan :) 

Edited by SoaringSLP

Hey everyone! just wanted some advice about what I should do. I just graduated from Linguistics and got refused from McMaster and McGill. Next year I’ll be applying to more Uni’s including UofT & Dalhousie. My gpa is 3.33 but my sub-gpa is 3.6. Does anyone know how I can improve my chances to get accepted? Do they look more at the gpa or subGPA? Also, note that I have over 500 hours of experience at an SLP clinic and autistic school. What more can I do to increase my chances? Do I retake courses, or is there something else I can do? Please help! Thanks in advance! :)