2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

2 hours ago, ashortchemist said:

Has anyone else started to get pressure from schools to accept offers? I’ve had 2 schools email me urging me to make a decision in the last 24 hours. Seems strange since the visit weekend isn’t even close 

I got an email from UW-Madison that felt like that, The first visit weekend is coming up, it seemed like it more just wanted you to let them know if you weren't considering the program anymore. But it is odd for them to ask you to make a decision before the visit weekend, I agree.  

On 2/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, ilovechem123 said:

I responded to the email, but I have not received a personal schedule. I just received a schedule of what is happening that day. It is really long -- 12 pm - 6 pm

I emailed them and got the instructions and my personal schedule but no actual links to join the call yet they said that would come in a later email.

12 minutes ago, ARSack02554 said:

anyone else still waiting on MIT? I have seen some acceptances, and a bunch of rejections today.  I am over here still waiting, assuming a reject, but hoping for the best. 

The rejections seem kinda sketchy. None of them have any grades, test scores  or comments. 

Edited by ashortchemist

6 minutes ago, toriloveschem said:

I posted one of these rejections (lol sad ):) 

Don't be sad, many more of us will get rejected vs. admitted, you are clearly not alone today, I didn't doubt the authenticity of the rejections, I am just kind of impatiently waiting for mine (sadly), but I got a really great fellowship offer from Michigan that I am really excited about, so at this point I just want to know so I can make a decision. Do you mind saying what division you applied to?  I applied for Chemical Biology at MIT, and I didn't originally think I had much of a shot, but I had two zoom meetings with a PI there who seemed really interested, and it all went really well, he invited me to an MIT faculty lunch talk he gave to the department, and he kept emailing me encouraging statements "fingers crossed" etc. but I didn't ever really get my hopes up, I have a 3.4-3.5 GPA so I know that is way low for MIT.  

9 minutes ago, ARSack02554 said:

Don't be sad, many more of us will get rejected vs. admitted, you are clearly not alone today, I didn't doubt the authenticity of the rejections, I am just kind of impatiently waiting for mine (sadly), but I got a really great fellowship offer from Michigan that I am really excited about, so at this point I just want to know so I can make a decision. Do you mind saying what division you applied to?  I applied for Chemical Biology at MIT, and I didn't originally think I had much of a shot, but I had two zoom meetings with a PI there who seemed really interested, and it all went really well, he invited me to an MIT faculty lunch talk he gave to the department, and he kept emailing me encouraging statements "fingers crossed" etc. but I didn't ever really get my hopes up, I have a 3.4-3.5 GPA so I know that is way low for MIT.  

Yeah haha I'm mostly sad because I dislike rejections. I applied for theoretical division and honestly I'm not that surprised that I did not get in because more specific research interests did not align very well. If this is useful to anyone: 3.8 GPA from small liberal arts school, 3 years research experience, 1 pub 

31 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

The rejections seem kinda sketchy. None of them have any grades, test scores  or comments. 

Yeah, Not sure why none of them had any comments/stats! MIT admission decisions have been awfully slow this year... I reached out to 3-4 faculty members and all of them said "very soon" lol 

Anyone heard from Yale yet (excluding the folks that heard back in December)? 

Edited by Chembioapplicant_2021_

1 hour ago, ashortchemist said:

I was one of the rejects. Sorry for not adding any comments to my results post! This might be useful then: Applied to organic. Went to a top 10 liberal arts school. 3.99/4.00 GPA. Double major in chem and unrelated major. 2.5 ish years of chemical biology/ organic synthesis research. 1 pub. Lots of poster/oral presentations. Didn't take GREs. 

Edited by timothychem

5 minutes ago, Chembioapplicant_2021_ said:

Yeah, Not sure why none of them had any comments/stats! MIT admission decisions have been awfully slow this year... I reached out to 3-4 faculty members and all of them said "very soon" lol 

Anyone heard from Yale yet (excluding the folks that heard back in December)? 

I see from your name I assume you applied to Chemical Biology, I have been in contact with one PI from the Chem bio division at MIT, but I haven't emailed him since early January, I don't want to seem annoying when the website says 2nd week in February, but if I don't hear by the end of next week, I will be emailing him, he always is very nice and responsive.  On that note anyone heard back from Cornell besides people who were accepted in December? Just waiting on Cornell and MIT....could the anxiety get any worse

2 minutes ago, ARSack02554 said:

I see from your name I assume you applied to Chemical Biology, I have been in contact with one PI from the Chem bio division at MIT, but I haven't emailed him since early January, I don't want to seem annoying when the website says 2nd week in February, but if I don't hear by the end of next week, I will be emailing him, he always is very nice and responsive.  On that note anyone heard back from Cornell besides people who were accepted in December? Just waiting on Cornell and MIT....could the anxiety get any worse

Yeah, I totally feel you! This cycle has been especially very anxiety-provoking! Many schools like Duke reached out to people in December telling them about possible delays, and I wish MIT did something similar to keep us in the loop! Nevertheless, good luck to everyone still waiting...

For people who didn't get into MIT today, first Im sorry but also you all have wonderful offers and are going to do amazing things! Second, I am kind of wondering if I just missed mine based on some of your stats so I wanted to know if you saw a change to your application portal. Like i said, I feel as though I just missed the email because I was already rejected from Stanford and Princeton! Im organic for reference.

21 minutes ago, chemistry2021 said:

For people who didn't get into MIT today, first Im sorry but also you all have wonderful offers and are going to do amazing things! Second, I am kind of wondering if I just missed mine based on some of your stats so I wanted to know if you saw a change to your application portal. Like i said, I feel as though I just missed the email because I was already rejected from Stanford and Princeton! Im organic for reference.

I received an email from MIT. Maybe it’s good news if you didn’t receive an email!!

On 2/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, joule123 said:

Hey everyone, has anyone heard from the University of Virginia, WashU, or Wayne State? and does anyone know when they start sending admissions? I am panicking 

I got an acceptance from UVA a couple weeks ago- but it seemed like an early offer. I wouldn’t panic yet. (I am in-state)

57 minutes ago, M.ware said:

Has anyone heard from Duke or Dartmouth? Haven’t seen much activity surrounding either school.

I have been waiting for Duke also. Someone in this thread said a prof told them they aren’t releasing anything until feb so maybe we’ll hear soon

seems like today was MIT's slaughter day :(

has anyone heard from inorganic/materials track in UCB, UCI, UCSD, Northwestern and Washington yet?

from what i can gather UCI is a bit erratic with their offers and UCB has already sent out offers (and i can assume a likely rejection at this point) 

starting to think maybe i should work on applying for other things as a plan B now lol

13 hours ago, timothychem said:

I received an email from MIT. Maybe it’s good news if you didn’t receive an email!!

I've heard MIT calls accepted students in the past and doesn't give acceptances out through email!  Best of luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

42 minutes ago, bulldogs said:

Has anyone in Inorganic heard back from Yale? (Other than those who heard in December)  I'm still waiting on Yale, Northwestern and UChicago...

I'm an international applicant in Inorganic, and I'm still waiting on Yale and UChicago. One of the UChicago's POI conducted an interview with me in December, but I haven't heard from them ever since.

Edited by CoordinationChem