2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

5 hours ago, chemistry2021 said:

Has anyone reached out to MIT/are going to reach out to MIT to see what is going on? 

No one knows what's really going on with them at this point. I tried reaching out last week and they said "most applicants will hear by Feb 15"... And yet, we didn't lol 

Edited by Chembioapplicant_2021_

they mentioned that applications are still under review and decisions should be distributed over the next two weeks but yeah who knows

13 hours ago, Chembioapplicant_2021_ said:

No one knows what's really going on with them at this point. I tried reaching out last week and they said "most applicants will hear by Feb 15"... And yet, we didn't lol 

19 hours ago, chemistry2021 said:

Has anyone reached out to MIT/are going to reach out to MIT to see what is going on? 

I emailed the grad admissions people this morning and they said decisions are being made on an ongoing basis and we'll be notified by late February. I guess decisions have been delayed because of rona?

Ngl, I'm expecting a rejection but I'd like to know sooner rather than later. Applying for inorganic materials.

I called the graduate admissions office of UIUC chemistry, and was told more or less to be patient. The number of applications this year for the chemistry PhD program is upwards of 500, so they're taking a lot of time to go through them all. It's not really much tangible help lol but I hope this can allay some worries.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:05 PM, bigredtootasty said:

I called the graduate admissions office of UIUC chemistry, and was told more or less to be patient. The number of applications this year for the chemistry PhD program is upwards of 500, so they're taking a lot of time to go through them all. It's not really much tangible help lol but I hope this can allay some worries.

I emailed the admissions office too and got the same response. I am dying to find out so we'll see. At least there is still hope I suppose...

On 1/27/2021 at 1:00 AM, notJonathanCheechoo said:

Hi all, I'm probably not the only person in this boat so I wanted to share this to hopefully put some minds to ease.

I was asked to leave with a masters degree in my last PhD program in chemistry (against my PI's wishes, no less). Applying this current cycle I was of course worried that no other department would want to take me knowing this. But I just want to make it known that I got an accepted to another chemistry PhD program today. If you haven't heard back from your schools yet, I'm sorry and just want to acknowledge that I know how horrible that feels. However, I hope it gives you hope to know that there are opportunities out there!

Same situation but not that lucky...

Leave PhD program in 2019 with a master's degree and no publication, organic division, international applicant in the US

Rejection from Emory (1/7), Penn State (1/23) and Mich (2/3). No interviews, no offers for now.

Still waiting for UCSD, Ohio State, etc.

Ohio State's visiting weekend seems to be last weekend according to one of PIs' twitter

Good luck to you guys all

On 2/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, a.rose said:

Has anyone heard anything about Dartmouth? I've heard from a biochem PhD there that that  department was doing their visit weekend last weekend. But I haven't seen anything about the chem department. Anyone know anything at all?

I applied for chembio and haven’t heard anything either. Department seems fairly unresponsive.

4 hours ago, M.ware said:

I applied for chembio and haven’t heard anything either. Department seems fairly unresponsive.

I might email and ask? I've only seen one post on the results list as well so it might be worth it. It's starting to get later in the game and I want to make sure that they aren't done yet.

5 hours ago, M.ware said:

Okay, disregard my last post, I emailed them and here's the response:

image.thumb.png.d587d26fac00b41dec55f55f17788b5b.png

So it seems that most likely that if we haven't heard back now we might get in later but probably not (at least I think), so hopefully we'll get a response in March

Hey! Not sure if anyone on here is at the Texas A&M Virtual Event right now/tomorrow but HI!!

What's up? I hope you have a fun weekend! Seems a bit overwhelming but I hope it goes well!

Anyone else that have visit coming up, have fun!

On 2/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, elle_chem said:

I just got an acceptance call from POI. He said the committee met yesterday, so offers should be sent out today/soon!

Congratulations!! I got a call today from my POI and am so happy. He said official letters will be sent out early next week. 

On 2/18/2021 at 10:15 PM, Atom345 said:

Was anyone else at the Chemical Biology program meeting for UMich??

I was there too! I had a good time, hope you did too.

Rejection from MIT finally came in, so I've heard back from all my programs now. Honestly I'm just relieved I'm out of limbo

2 hours ago, aecker3 said:

Congratulations!! I got a call today from my POI and am so happy. He said official letters will be sent out early next week. 

That's awesome! Happy for you. My POI also said that they're trying to organize some social event for admitted students so we should be on the lookout for that haha. Feel free to DM me to discuss anything including UCSF!