2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

8 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

Omg that’s exactly my situation with UNC and duke it’s stressful and sucks not knowIng if you’re going to be far away or not. 

The visit weekend is the 12-13th but they are hosting other days if students can’t make it/if students are accepted past that date. I hope you hear back soon! 

Hey, if I get into BU I’m declining my UNC offer! If you’re organic or materials at Unc, me getting into bu will move you up on the waitlist I hope. 

BU did email me and tell me the visit days  and said they would be in touch very soon with (likely positive) updates. I’ve had so many people including Pi’s who are very big in the department tell me I would get in soon.  But so much pressure. 

Edited by ashortchemist

3 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

Hey, if I get into BU I’m declining my UNC offer! If you’re organic or materials at Unc, me getting into bu will move you up on the waitlist I hope. 

BU did email me and tell me the visit days  and said they would be in touch very soon with (likely positive) updates. I’ve had so many people including Pi’s who are very big in the department tell me I would get in soon.  But so much pressure. 

The waiting is driving me insane lol and I don’t want to email and ruin my chances somehow but I’m so impatient. And oh yeah you should hear soon. hopefully they send them out like Friday or Monday. 

1 hour ago, ashortchemist said:

Yeah I probably shouldn’t be worried till the end of next week, right? The Professor I was in contact with even told me I was likely  getting a fellowship too , but I haven’t heard from them in a month. 

There are some really good research fits for me there and this is the decision that determines if I can stay with my SO in grad school physically so there is a lot of weight on it. 

I just keep saying “there is no way I get rejected after that email”. You’re the only other person I’ve found who has gotten that email! I am assuming if they sent it to everyone it would have been posted here. 

Hi there! I read all comments and I have the same e-mail from BU. I am in the same situation with you, waiting and nothing yet:( My POI told me I have been waitlisted before getting that e-mail which implied positive results and visitation weekend.

I am wondering if the list is short or not, if you have any idea from your contacts, I would appreciate. I am applying for chemical biology and organic divisions by the way, good luck!

On 2/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, SpicyOranges said:

I agree, I got good vibes from the program in general! 

Hey SpicyOranges! I just received an acceptance letter from UMichChemical Biology. I hope you got one too ❤️ 

On 2/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, cchemist said:

Hi there! I read all comments and I have the same e-mail from BU. I am in the same situation with you, waiting and nothing yet:( My POI told me I have been waitlisted before getting that e-mail which implied positive results and visitation weekend.

I am wondering if the list is short or not, if you have any idea from your contacts, I would appreciate. I am applying for chemical biology and organic divisions by the way, good luck!

I have no idea, but I honestly think they are just being slow, as I haven’t seen anything posted on here since Feb 18 (when the email was sent) and they said the majority of interviews haven’t been arranged yet. 

58 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

I have no idea, but I honestly think they are just being slow, as I haven’t seen anything posted on here since Feb 18 (when the email was sent) and they said the majority of interviews haven’t been arranged yet. 

I hope so.. Or maybe they are waiting for the results of the first round offers, hopefully we can hear back soon!

7 minutes ago, cchemist said:

I hope so.. Or maybe they are waiting for the results of the first round offers, hopefully we can hear back soon!

I heard back from a pi on Sunday and she said things were delayed. I really doubt they will straight up reject us after that email. It would just be bad form. We will get in eventually. Just gotta wait a couple weeks

Just now, ashortchemist said:

I heard back from a pi on Sunday and she said things were delayed. I really doubt they will straight up reject us after that email. It would just be bad form. We will get in eventually. Just gotta wait a couple weeks

Thank you very much! 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, chemine said:

Did anyone who was waiting for Scripps see an update to their application portal? 

Nope, seems like only Florida Campus has accepted people. Emailed them a couple weeks ago and they finally responded saying we'll find out this week. Never got an interview or anything so I'm expecting a rejection, kind of sad about it because I talked to a professor I wanted to work with and they told me I'd be a great fit, but I got very overwhelmed by finals and didn't keep up correspondence with them. Now just to wait for whatever Caltech is up to and see if I can get off the Columbia waitlist. Being unsure this late in the game is tough when my friends got admitted to schools in like January.

6 hours ago, CoordinationChem said:

Guys, if you had to pick one of the two, would you choose Cornell or UCLA (assuming both were equally good in terms of research fit)?

Coming from Cornell undergrad, I have nothing but excellent things to say about Cornell PhD's, particularly for bioinorganic chemistry

Hi everyone,

I'm currently debating between a few programs, including the Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, and Yale for chemical biology. I am pretty much equally interested in the research and the PIs, and am curious what you all think about these programs from an outside perspective? Thanks!

On 3/1/2021 at 2:00 PM, chemgirl99 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Washington Seattle? 

Lol I feel like a massacre is about to come our way. They have been rejecting people and offering them masters instead so I'm assuming they are done with their PhD cohort and vetting the rest for their masters program. I hope I'm wrong though!

To those who have been accepted to MIT or Northwestern, what was the acceptance rate (How many people were accepted and how many applied)? Also has anyone heard anything from Rice? I’ve tried emailing the graduate coordinator and PI but haven’t gotten any response back. I’m wondering if there’s any virtual weekends that will be happening in March. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Chem4Lyfe said:

To those who have been accepted to MIT or Northwestern, what was the acceptance rate (How many people were accepted and how many applied)? Also has anyone heard anything from Rice? I’ve tried emailing the graduate coordinator and PI but haven’t gotten any response back. I’m wondering if there’s any virtual weekends that will be happening in March. Thanks!

I saw this on the results page :

I emailed Rice and this is what I received. “ Thank you for applying to the Chemistry Graduate Program at Rice University. This year we had an exceptional number of strong applicants and have made the majority of the offers. I’m not sure there will be many more offers given at this time. If there are any changes to the status, you will receive an email or call from one of our faculty members.“ I guess the rest of us are going to be rejected. Sad

7 hours ago, 90% Caffeine said:

Lol I feel like a massacre is about to come our way. They have been rejecting people and offering them masters instead so I'm assuming they are done with their PhD cohort and vetting the rest for their masters program. I hope I'm wrong though!

So this is what I have been thinking is going to happen: some people on the current accepted list are going to deny and they are going to offer some people PhD admission, they will continue offering masters admission, and then there are a whole lot of us getting denials. I hope anyone seeing this who goes to the open house this weekend and does not like the school tells them they aren't going so we can all have a chance :) really sad because UW is my top school rn location wise, program wise, and overall just love it