2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

I have yet to hear from 4 of the schools that I applied to. I'm not looking forward to the slew of rejections that I am expecting to get. I have an acceptance so at least I have somewhere to go but damn it hurts.

10 hours ago, chemgirl99 said:

So this is what I have been thinking is going to happen: some people on the current accepted list are going to deny and they are going to offer some people PhD admission, they will continue offering masters admission, and then there are a whole lot of us getting denials. I hope anyone seeing this who goes to the open house this weekend and does not like the school tells them they aren't going so we can all have a chance :) really sad because UW is my top school rn location wise, program wise, and overall just love it 

Agreed, I think we're on a waitlist right now for when folks decline their acceptance. On p6 of this thread someone said they were accepted Dec 19. There's still time, though. Application said we'd hear by mid-March, but the program page says by end of March.

I wonder if it's worth accepting for MS. I guess an MS student can re-apply to the PhD program. But an MS student won't get the PhD student stipend for doing TA and research assistant work.

2 minutes ago, FogOfLife said:

Agreed, I think we're on a waitlist right now for when folks decline their acceptance. On p6 of this thread someone said they were accepted Dec 19. There's still time, though. Application said we'd hear by mid-March, but the program page says by end of March.

I wonder if it's worth accepting for MS. I guess an MS student can re-apply to the PhD program. But an MS student won't get the PhD student stipend for doing TA and research assistant work.

Yeah the program coordinator told me April 1st by the latest..... I wonder too. I told myself I would rather work for a year than pay for the MS so I think thats the route I'd go down

3 hours ago, chemgirl99 said:

Yeah the program coordinator told me April 1st by the latest..... I wonder too. I told myself I would rather work for a year than pay for the MS so I think thats the route I'd go down

Gap year is a solid option!

On 2/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, Atom345 said:

Hey SpicyOranges! I just received an acceptance letter from UMichChemical Biology. I hope you got one too ❤️ 

I actually got rejected haha, but no worries, I have other great options! Congrats to you again, seems like it was really competitive this year

anyone applied carnegie mellon chemistry phd program? 

Was there a request of official transcripts from the beginning? 

I was just checking applicant status portal and saw Please have official transcripts mailed to the address below. on left side of screen. I'm not sure if it was there before. 

ps. congrats to all who got in! 

I had applied.! 

I think one had to send WES transcript (if initial degrees were not completed in the US). It has been there since the time we submitted the application. They are not done with all decisions yet. I had mailed them asking for an update, got a reply saying it would take till end of March to complete all offers. 

19 minutes ago, Theoretical_Chemist said:

I had applied.! 

I think one had to send WES transcript (if initial degrees were not completed in the US). It has been there since the time we submitted the application. They are not done with all decisions yet. I had mailed them asking for an update, got a reply saying it would take till end of March to complete all offers. 

omg thank you so much! good luck with us!!

29 minutes ago, toriloveschem said:

For anyone who got into Uchicago/went to their visit weekend: have you gotten the package they said they would send? I'm still waiting on mine but I'm not sure if they sent it to the wrong address. 

Still waiting on mine too!

On 2/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, chem2021 said:

Yeah I think it would be and rejects have already started being sent so I feel like you’d have to hear for an interview at least. And you’re basically in once you get the interview they are just making sure you are not an academic robot and can talk like a person lol 

I got the interview!!!  Hope I get in now!!! 

8 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

I got the interview!!!  Hope I get in now!!! 

Wait yay that’s awesome. There is gonna be a visit on March 26th I think bc people have too many conflicts next weekend and that’s the one I’m going to. Hope to see you there!! 

1 minute ago, chem2021 said:

Wait yay that’s awesome. There is gonna be a visit on March 26th I think bc people have too many conflicts next weekend and that’s the one I’m going to. Hope to see you there!! 

Yes!  Do you know how likely it is that you get in after the interview/ what kind of questions were you asked? 

If I get in it means my SO and I can 100% stay in the same city!! 

1 minute ago, ashortchemist said:

Yes!  Do you know how likely it is that you get in after the interview/ what kind of questions were you asked? 

If I get in it means my SO and I can 100% stay in the same city!! 

I’m pretty sure with this interview you’re basically in if you get one. Like mine only lasted 15min and the prof just asked if I had any questions about the department and why I was interested in BU. And then asked my opinion on the virtual visit weekend and how it’s set up lol. So there is a solid chance you’re going to be accepted ! 

4 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

I’m pretty sure with this interview you’re basically in if you get one. Like mine only lasted 15min and the prof just asked if I had any questions about the department and why I was interested in BU. And then asked my opinion on the virtual visit weekend and how it’s set up lol. So there is a solid chance you’re going to be accepted ! 

Yeah that was my impression as well (that the interview was basically an acceptance). He said it was also for recruiting purposes!

i really hope you are able to get into UNC to stay with your SO as well! I’ll be declining my Unc offer if/ when BU accepts me. 

4 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

Yeah that was my impression as well (that the interview was basically an acceptance). He said it was also for recruiting purposes!

i really hope you are able to get into UNC to stay with your SO as well! I’ll be declining my Unc offer if/ when BU accepts me. 

Same I hope their waitlist is short for ochem !

Is it safe to assume I'm waitlisted at this point for the UC programs? I haven't gotten word back from them since attending their interview/recruitment events. I guess the silver lining is no rejection emails? UCLA really caught my eye but I'm really nervous to inquire ?

To all who are still waiting for UChicago,

Here is what I got from Prof. Tokmakoff and Prof. Moellering:

At this point we do not expect to make any more admissions for our 2021 class. We received many more strong applications than we were able to accept into the program. I wish you the best of luck with your applications and future endeavors.

Edited by MHH

On 3/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, toriloveschem said:

For anyone who got into Uchicago/went to their visit weekend: have you gotten the package they said they would send? I'm still waiting on mine but I'm not sure if they sent it to the wrong address. 

On the Slack they said FedEx was being annoying and they haven't all shipped yet

On 3/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, bbb5 said:

have any internationals heard from UCSD? I'm not sure whether I should assume it's a rejection since there hasn't been news

Im not an international student but received an offer. However, I don't recommend it at all if you are in theory and interested in working with Prof. Joel or Paesani. I found them very impolite and strict during the virtual visits and the individual meetings. They will tell you that if you are like this or that you will be kicked out of the group. Very weird experience! I think other theory students had similar experience. they can comment probably here.