2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

1 hour ago, chemystery2021 said:

I think you should have your official letter from Purdue by now but I'm also not really sure how deferrals work. I got a bunch of emails regarding financial offers, the official letter, etc. They have a virtual visitation next weekend. Wouldn't hurt to contact them 

Yes, I have my updated official letter already. Just trying to find out if the international student scholars office has started issuing out I-20. And I believe that would only be possible if you have the official letter on your application page. Do you, please?

Thank you very much for indulging me ?

19 minutes ago, Lawal said:

Yes, I have my updated official letter already. Just trying to find out if the international student scholars office has started issuing out I-20. And I believe that would only be possible if you have the official letter on your application page. Do you, please?

Thank you very much for indulging me ?

I am a domestic student so I don't know if this applies but when I go to the application page the official letter is there. You could try reading the financial emails with a closer eye or logging into the mypurdue. 

Sorry I can't be of much more help than that, good luck!

15 hours ago, eldricktw said:

I am still waiting on Irvine, so far only heard back from 3 out of 10 programs that I applied to. I am slowing dying inside :)

I applied to 6 schools and I've only heard from 2. I feel like it's wild that I haven't heard back from the majority of places! Everyday without a response hurts just a bit too much....

16 minutes ago, a.rose said:

I applied to 6 schools and I've only heard from 2. I feel like it's wild that I haven't heard back from the majority of places! Everyday without a response hurts just a bit too much....

Hope you are holding up ok :( I suppose this is just a first glimpse into grad school, except we'll be waiting on a degree over a 5-year period

Guys, do you think job prospects for international students after Cornell are much worse than after, say, MIT, Harvard, Caltech, Berkeley? I've noticed that most people that became professors at top 5 universities (for chemistry) in the US got their PhDs from Caltech/MIT/Berkeley/Harvard. I've only seen a couple of professors there that got their PhDs from Cornell.

Is anyone else still waiting on Boston university? They sent an email to me last Thursday with open house dates and implied I would hear positively from them soon (by the end of this week) but it’s been radio silence since then and I’m a little worried. 

Edited by ashortchemist

41 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Guys, do you think job prospects for international students after Cornell are much worse than after, say, MIT, Harvard, Caltech, Berkeley? I've noticed that most people that became professors at top 5 universities (for chemistry) in the US got their PhDs from Caltech/MIT/Berkeley/Harvard. I've only seen a couple of professors there that got their PhDs from Cornell.

Another international student considering Cornell here. If by job prospect, you mean academia, I have not paid much attention to it. But if you include industry, it seems that alumni from the labs I'm interested in don't have a problem in getting into competitive companies - be it pharma, material, etc. I'm in organic though, so a lot of us end up in industry.

The weight of the name is probably slightly less, but most professors now, even from Caltech and such, did post-docs anyway. So, you can always buff up your resume that way. Your PI and PhD projects will be the other big factors too. 

36 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

Is anyone else still waiting on Boston university? They sent an email to me last Thursday with open house dates and implied I would hear positively from them soon (by the end of this week) but it’s been radio silence since then and I’m a little worried. 

Have you interviewed with them? I got accepted last Monday but haven’t gotten my official offer letter from the dean yet 

6 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

Have you interviewed with them? I got accepted last Monday but haven’t gotten my official offer letter from the dean yet 

No, not yet.

They emailed  last Thursday and said they would contact me for an interview by the end of feb and that the majority of interviews haven’t taken place yet.  I’ve been in contact with people there who have told me they are running behind and that I will almost certainly be accepted but I’m starting to worry. 

1 minute ago, ashortchemist said:

No, not yet.

They emailed  last Thursday and said they would contact me for an interview by the end of feb and that the majority of interviews haven’t taken place yet.  I’ve been in contact with people there who have told me they are running behind and that I will almost certainly be accepted but I’m starting to worry. 

I got interviewed at the end of January but I think the organic prof that interviewed me was ahead of the others and getting stuff done quickly. I also got that email so I feel like you’ll probably be contacted by the end of this week maybe. Idk so many schools are disorganized this year I wouldn’t worry too much especially since you’ve been in contact with faculty 

7 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

I got interviewed at the end of January but I think the organic prof that interviewed me was ahead of the others and getting stuff done quickly. I also got that email so I feel like you’ll probably be contacted by the end of this week maybe. Idk so many schools are disorganized this year I wouldn’t worry too much especially since you’ve been in contact with faculty 

It would be a really really weird email to send to someone they were going to reject , right? Lol

Edited by ashortchemist

4 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

It would be a really really weird email to send to someone they were going to reject , right?

Yeah I think it would be and rejects have already started being sent so I feel like you’d have to hear for an interview at least. And you’re basically in once you get the interview they are just making sure you are not an academic robot and can talk like a person lol 

18 hours ago, ohbegitutoh said:

Another international student considering Cornell here. If by job prospect, you mean academia, I have not paid much attention to it. But if you include industry, it seems that alumni from the labs I'm interested in don't have a problem in getting into competitive companies - be it pharma, material, etc. I'm in organic though, so a lot of us end up in industry.

The weight of the name is probably slightly less, but most professors now, even from Caltech and such, did post-docs anyway. So, you can always buff up your resume that way. Your PI and PhD projects will be the other big factors too. 

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Theoretical_Chemist said:

I had applied to 10 schools, have only heard back from 3 of them. Tracing the timelines of admissions (& rejects) of previous years, it seems most schools had sent a decision (be it admit or reject) by this time of the year. Not sure if this year is a one-off case because of the pandemic. 

theory here. if we have not heard from e.g UCB does it mean a rejection?

On 2/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, chem2021 said:

Yeah I think it would be and rejects have already started being sent so I feel like you’d have to hear for an interview at least. And you’re basically in once you get the interview they are just making sure you are not an academic robot and can talk like a person lol 

Yeah I’m sure it’s fine. There has been nothing on here this week. But seriously, wtf is taking so long?  

I have had multiple Pi’s tell me I’ll get in but it’s taking forever and this is an important acceptance for me. 

34 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

Yeah I’m sure it’s fine. There has been nothing on here this week. But seriously, wtf is taking so long?  

I have had multiple Pi’s tell me I’ll get in but it’s taking forever and this is an important acceptance for me. 

I got my official offer today and it was a mix of teaching and research fellowships so maybe that’s why I heard a week or so sooner bc it wasn’t just a teaching one. I’m sure you’ll hear next week probably it seems like they are way behind 

26 minutes ago, chem2021 said:

I got my official offer today and it was a mix of teaching and research fellowships so maybe that’s why I heard a week or so sooner bc it wasn’t just a teaching one. I’m sure you’ll hear next week probably it seems like they are way behind 

Yeah I probably shouldn’t be worried till the end of next week, right? The Professor I was in contact with even told me I was likely  getting a fellowship too , but I haven’t heard from them in a month. 

There are some really good research fits for me there and this is the decision that determines if I can stay with my SO in grad school physically so there is a lot of weight on it. 

I just keep saying “there is no way I get rejected after that email”. You’re the only other person I’ve found who has gotten that email! I am assuming if they sent it to everyone it would have been posted here. 

Edited by ashortchemist

Just now, ashortchemist said:

Yeah I probably shouldn’t be worried till the end of next week, right? The Professor I was in contact with even told me I was likely  getting a fellowship too , but I haven’t heard from them in a month. 

There are some really good research fits for me there and this is the decision that determines if I can stay with my SO in grad school physically so there is a lot of weight on it. 

Omg that’s exactly my situation with UNC and duke it’s stressful and sucks not knowIng if you’re going to be far away or not. 

The visit weekend is the 12-13th but they are hosting other days if students can’t make it/if students are accepted past that date. I hope you hear back soon!